What State?

old tired rebel

Reaction score
What state has a low unemployment rate and jobs that need to be filled?

My 3 of my sons need jobs and my wife is about to lose her because of corporate downsizing. We don't mind a relocation to another town or state,I just want to make sure my son can support his GF (they will marry soon) and babies without any problems.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
What state has a low unemployment rate and jobs that need to be filled?

My 3 of my sons need jobs and my wife is about to lose her because of corporate downsizing. We don't mind a relocation to another town or state,I just want to make sure my son can support his GF (they will marry soon) and babies without any problems.
But of couse Texas...check it out and you can track how we have done since the recession started..we probably had the lowest un-employment rate all that time..

old tired rebel

Reaction score
But of couse Texas...check it out and you can track how we have done since the recession started..we probably had the lowest un-employment rate all that time..

How is the cost of living there? I will need a 4 bedroom house to rent.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
My new house 1982 sq feet was 128,000....4 bedrooms and 2 baths with a 2 car garage...single story...all apliances included

old tired rebel

Reaction score
And no state income tax...state sales tax is 6% and the local rate makes it 8.275%...not on groceries...but on everything else

Dang that is great we are being taxed to death here. How is car inspections from out of state?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Dang that is great we are being taxed to death here. How is car inspections from out of state?
You will pay to register it here....have to get it inspected mechanically and they do emissions testing..Liabiltiy Minimum Insurance required...45 days to register it once you move here...no more snow either

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Depending on where you move, some cities (Houston is one i think) does do a smog check, but normally its just a check of lights, wipers, tires, no exhaust leakes etc. pretty simple and lenient. And to get Regstration for an out of state car a "green slip" is needed from inspection station, a 1.00 extra, for whatever reason they require it. Inspection itself is $14.50, I think. Antique tagged vehicles are not required an inspection sticker, and the plates are good for 5 years. (makes it a hair over $10 bux a year) Tags here start @ $53.20 and go up from there, they have changed it in recent years, and they go by some sort of magical "presumptive value" . Cost of living in Texas varies ALOT, as its so large. The larger cities are higher than what they would be for this area for example. brem is correct tho the recession hasn't been quite so rough here as other states....

old tired rebel

Reaction score
You will pay to register it here....have to get it inspected mechanically and they do emissions testing..Liabiltiy Minimum Insurance required...45 days to register it once you move here...no more snow either

What is the age cut off for emissions?

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
What is the age cut off for emissions?

'84 I think... no cats etc needed .. after 25 years old antique plates
antique plates can be bought. As brem said his area has emissions testing, where I am we don't.

Classic Plates
are just yearly and cost more, the guys around here use the antique plates more than the Classics and never have a problem with driving their cars... (if you are worried about the regulations for antique plates)

Last edited:

old tired rebel

Reaction score
'84 I think... no cats etc needed .. after 25 years old antique plates can be bought. As brem said his area has emissions testing, where I am we don't.

So a 73 will pass along with a 78 with antique plates can they be driven daily?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
'84 I think... no cats etc needed .. after 25 years old antique plates can be bought. As brem said his area has emissions testing, where I am we don't.
Yep emissions are by county...I live in Harris which is one of the most populated...they have it

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
So a 73 will pass along with a 78 with antique plates can they be driven daily?

Yes, that is correct. and being an out of state vehicle the inspection will be required to register it in Texas, but after the first year, with the antique plate inspections are not required.

Also found this for your reading pleasure...:

Vehicles Not Subject to Taxation based on Standard Presumptive Value

New vehicles (not previously titled)
Vehicles purchased from licensed dealers (dealers use purchase price only)
Vehicles purchased at a governmental or foreclosure auction
Vehicles 25 years old or older
Off-road vehicles, such as dirt bikes or all-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
Salvage or abandoned vehicles (except rebuilt salvage vehicles)
Vehicles sold through a mechanic or storage lien
Vehicles given as gifts to eligible applicants
Even-trade vehicles, when vehicles of equal value are swapped by the owners

That came from the states own website. and brem are we fighting for the same thread? :laughing4:

Dago Red

Reaction score
For a Few Dollars More

You're not supposed to "daily drive" a vehicle with antique plate. In fact some traffic officers will ask for proof e.g a show flyer, an entry form, even a trophy. I registered my 69 pickup as a daily driver for like $55 and all it required was a yearly safety inspection; lights, horn, wipers etc. $17.50. and no tailpipe test.

What's you and the boys area of expertise???

old tired rebel

Reaction score
You're not supposed to "daily drive" a vehicle with antique plate. In fact some traffic officers will ask for proof e.g a show flyer, an entry form, even a trophy. I registered my 69 pickup as a daily driver for like $55 and all it required was a yearly safety inspection; lights, horn, wipers etc. $17.50. and no tailpipe test.

I am disabled but I am also looking at changing that. My sons will need OJT for what they can fine. One is a Vet. My wife works in a mail room.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score

Wasn't saying different, I was just saying here (Amarillo) I/we have not had a problem with the actual law. :eusa_shhh: And yes 50, ish is right for registration. Thats why I carry the little dash plaques from the car shows in my glove box, have a stack of em and they are not dated...:sign10:

Back