What State?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Old tired....all three of us Texans know this is a good place to live...that's why no one from another state has chimed in...:toothy1:

77RTNJ

Reaction score
I'll chime in. I live in NJ. Not a good place to move to. I love the area and most things about this state but Real estate is high, taxes are high and insurance is high. I bought my house 11 years ago. 2100sq ft and paid $250,000. It is now worth over $500,000. That is down a little from its high in the mid to high 500's. Certain areas of NJ like where I live, have not been hit as hard in Real Estate, but the Job market is not good. My wife and I have both been lucky as we have worked for Rutgers for over 20 years each and have made it through every layoff the state and University has had. No raises in several years and losing some of our benefits but still working. Hoping to make it another 8 years when we hit 55 and retire out to Pennsylvania. Much lower housing costs in the areas we want to move and we like the mountain areas of PA. Would like a few acres and a one level ranch house and room to build a big garage. Our saving grace has been our investment in our house. I am staying to the Northeast as all my family is here and we are close Knit.

Old rebel good luck in your search for a new home and employment. Just stay out of Jersey.

Kevin

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
East coast...outta site living cost.....West coast outta site living cost...mid-west and south mid-west right on...:toothy9:

GaryS

Reaction score
The state with the lowest unemployment is North Dakota, but finding housing is difficult. There is an oil boom going on and it looks to last several more years. Lots of jobs, and lots of outdoor activities, but not many outsiders are willing to put up with the long, harsh winters. I was born and raised there, but I retired in Texas for that reason.

old tired rebel

Reaction score
I like what I have read about Texas. So if we can get work and move my grandchildren will be Texans.

ramenth

Reaction score
Hey, Eric, the reason some of us who don't live in TX haven't chimed in..well, I'm happy with NY, but not pleased at the same time.

Where I'm at, the cost of living doesn't kill you. The house we're in cost us $525 a month in rent. Full basement, attic, 3 bedroom, patio, garage. We're working on closing the deal towards the purchase price of $57,000.

Gas is high, though, about fifty cents above the national average. Two year car registration, $21 inspections done annually. Absolutely no need for classic or antique plates, though. Those are strictly optional. Insurance is mandatory and the associated fees with that, the state gets it's share.

Thanks to the Marcellus Shale natural gas deposit a lot of hard working folks here in the Twin Tier have signed on with the gas companies hitting the fields in PA. Mechanics, welders, the poor SOB's who didn't know what they were getting into signing on to frack teams (100 hour weeks), roust-abouts, truck drivers, etc. All pay good, especially with the overtime.

The best thing about the state where I live: Google the Finger Lakes. Wine country. A lot of gorgeous scenery. A lot of hunting land. A lot of farms.

The worst part is that the state likes a lot of fees. Fees on insuring your car. Fees on movie tickets. Fees on concert tickets. Fees on utilities. Property taxes are dependent on where you live. Some townships are fairly low, some are fairly high. 8-8.25% sales tax is the norm in most counties, with the tax on everything but food and a few other items. The state usually suspends the sales tax on clothes right around back to school time.

There's some issues with the government run-amok on taxes, but I'm happy to say that Andrew Cuomo is starting to do something about it. We'll see if at the end of the four year term if he's done enough to get my vote.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
North Dakota is ranked number 1...New York and Texas are pretty much the same and Nevada is the worst...I guess in bad times people don't gamble...

1 NORTH DAKOTA 3.6

21 NEW YORK 8.0

23 TEXAS 8.1

51 NEVADA 13.2

mredim

Reaction score
Nevada

After years of having unemployment rates as low as 4% the boom crashed hard here. My wife has been out of work for 2 1/2 yeas now after losing her airline job of 23 years. The rest of us still employed have suffered wage freezes and salary cuts.
It's a very bad time to move here for work or to raise a family. Our school district already has a 50% failure to graduate race and now they are laying off hundreds more teachers!

It has been a good place to live until now, and not a bad place to retire. You can buy a house for half what it cost 3 years ago!

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
I would live in Texas if I could transfer to Los Colinas facility/campus. No state income tax here, but sales tax is 9.9% and my house (in a good neighborhood, 2500 sq feet, nice place, great schools) would cost about $500,000 to buy. I am just about 25 miles east of Seattle, and cost of living is pricey

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I would live in Texas if I could transfer to Los Colinas facility/campus. No state income tax here, but sales tax is 9.9% and my house (in a good neighborhood, 2500 sq feet, nice place, great schools) would cost about $500,000 to buy. I am just about 25 miles east of Seattle, and cost of living is pricey
East or west coast is way...way....way out there when it comes to cost of living......:downtown:

Back