Where to find rubber parts for J body's?

PentaCar

Reaction score
You will need that "Good " automotive glass guy if you plan on resealing or removing the windshield, they are a difficult/ expensive item to replace if it gets broken. Another thing to check is the belt line molding on the doors, I have seen situations where water slides down past the glass and comes out the bottom of the door onto the sill plate into the car. Make sure the drain holes at the bottom of the door aren't blocked, same for the cowl when you do the wiper bushings. The belt molding gaskets are available aftermarket, don't remember who has them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I believe Collectors Auto Supply has (or had) the belt molding seals ("cat whiskers"). It's been awhile since I looked though.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
There might be some better hunters than I,but Windshield,rubber w/strip for doors/qtr glass,top interior door panels..are just a few reasons J bodys are PIA...

Aspen500

Reaction score
It isn't a whole lot easier for us F-body guys either but that's what keeps it interesting. How much fun would it be if you could open catalog and order anything you needed? Part of the hobby is the search and when you find that elusive part, it like winning the lottery. I agree though, there are certain items that are universally needed by all F/M/J owners that are just plain made of unobtanium, either good used ('78-'79 Aspen grille's come to mind), NOS or repop. Let me rephrase that, GOOD repop, not like the door and roof rail seals made for F-body...…………………..They're better than nothing but are far from top quality.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
I believe that N.O.S. are virtually gone...
Do NOT believe they will ever repop anything for 75 up..
Just like all the crap you can get for phord or mgc trucks from LMC etc. dodge truck FUBAR... So hunt forever or move on..

Ele115

Reaction score
LMC = Crap for sure. When their phone rings, it's actually a gong

8T2TOP

Reaction score
I've seen C/K&F grilles from LMC that would get a 78 Dodge owner a hardon..
But hey they all have some not so good items and some must haves,each to theirs..

Aspen500

Reaction score
The cost to tool up and actually repop the '78/'79 Aspen grille (along with the plating, painting) not to mention the parking light lenses to go with them, would outweigh any possible return. They'd have to charge so much that nobody would buy one. To get to the engineering done to make the tooling, then make the tooling, and get set for production most likely would cost at least $50K, probably more like $100K. Supply and demand. Unlike some grille's, the Aspen grille is a complicated thing to make. Then again, you never know. Someday................Not going to hold my breath though:eek:

I know it's all long gone but wouldn't be awesome to run across the original tooling and molds for the grille's? :D

Last edited:

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
The cost to tool up and actually repop the '78/'79 Aspen grille (along with the plating, painting) not to mention the parking light lenses to go with them, would outweigh any possible return. They'd have to charge so much that nobody would buy one. To get to the engineering done to make the tooling, then make the tooling, and get set for production most likely would cost at least $50K, probably more like $100K. Supply and demand. Unlike some grille's, the Aspen grille is a complicated thing to make. Then again, you never know. Someday................Not going to hold my breath though:eek:

I know it's all long gone but wouldn't be awesome to run across the original tooling and molds for the grille's? :D

I'm gonna have to look up some pictures, as I do not have a working definition of this grill that is being referenced.

Ele115

Reaction score
At some point in the future 3D printing will make some of these parts possible. But as of now, making them the old fashioned way can lead to bankruptcy. You have to have a lot of guaranteed sales from people restoring cars to take that risk. If 100 people insist they will buy one "for sure" by the time they are available, you have about 20 actually open their wallet ready to purchase.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to look up some pictures, as I do not have a working definition of this grill that is being referenced.
It's the grille used in '78 and '79 Aspens. To find a used one that isn't broken is close to impossible and NOS, is even rarer than that. Along with being rare, the NOS grilles, when one does go up for sale, are price accordingly ($1,200 range) and I suppose, rightfully so.
$_35.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
There's a NOS 78-79 Volare' grille on Ebay as we speak.

Back