Which Gas Tank

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I am pretty sure there were two different types of gas tanks that were installed in the 1977 Dodge Aspen 2 door coupes. The question is where is the part number located at on the gas tank itself? I cant find it. Will need a new tank and sending unit here soon. Thank You.

Last edited:

440 Volare

Reaction score
TANK
Built up to 4-1-77 4002 333
Built after 4-1-77 4002 630

SENDING UNIT
w/o Calif. emiss. up to 4-1-77 3879 683
w/o Calif. emiss. after 4-1-77 4051 176

w/ Calif. emiss. after 4-1-77 4041 114
w/ Calif. emiss. up to 4-1-77 ???? ??? doesn't list a number

listing from 1977 Parts Book dated Feb. 1978
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

holmes

Reaction score
Good luck finding anything before 4/1/77! I had to repair my sending unit and have my tank dipped since I couldn't find anything for my 1976 Aspen. They used that weird shaped tank in 1976 and early 1977. One saving grace is the float for the sending unit is the same as the late A-Body used.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Yeah I have not dropped the tank yet but the sending unit is gone for sure. Yeah even tho the door tag says 10/1976 I am sure it is still considered a 1977 later model. I always have so much stuff going on these days wish I could just have a solid day to just mess with all my vehicles Lol.

LSM360

Reaction score
I would recommend trying to use a NOS sending unit. I replaced one in my Diplomat (it was working fine but I was cleaning tank and thought that'd be the smart thing to do). Thing never worked right. I eventually found a NOS one and no troubles since. Later, I read on another forum that people were having lots of troubles with aftermarket sending units. I guess it's typical of most aftermarket crap now. The brand I had was Spectra.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I would recommend trying to use a NOS sending unit. I replaced one in my Diplomat (it was working fine but I was cleaning tank and thought that'd be the smart thing to do). Thing never worked right. I eventually found a NOS one and no troubles since. Later, I read on another forum that people were having lots of troubles with aftermarket sending units. I guess it's typical of most aftermarket crap now. The brand I had was Spectra.

Sounds like the new ones are the usual asian invasion quality.

Monkeyed

Reaction score

I just got a new spectra tank for my fifth, has "made in canada" stuck to it, not sure about the pick ups..

Back