Why "Don't we get no respect?"

My imp

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I know a poser that has read every Hot Rod, Pop Hot Rod, etc.. So he can quote every stat about his car, but shake his wet noodle, er a I mean hand & you can tell he's never bent a wrench! But you're right, I can appreciate anyone who's done his, or her own work no matter the brand. The only thing I don't like is someone putting down my choice of car simply because it doesn't agree with their choice of car.

My imp

Reaction score
Admittedly, I go to car shows to admire & rip off, er a borrow ideas from other peoples rides. I've probably mentioned the way I want the Imp to look when it's done too many times, & now if someone likes it, all they have to do is either modify theirs like that , or start writing checks lol to a body shop. I'd like to be first so it doesn't look like I copied someone else's ride, but whatever.

Darter6

Reaction score
I loved my 76 Aspen(bought new) and 30 years later my 80 Volare' wagon.The only thing close I got now is a 79 Chrysler 300 .Someday I want to get a 80 F body.I like being the odd ball at the car shows.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Who cares what other people think. Do what you (we) like. "I like being the odd ball at the car shows" is exactly right. People that matter like seeing different things. Most people I know, do. That's a true car guy. Liking every car. I'm personally kinda sick of seeing E & B bodies at car shows, unless there's something different about them, and they are few and far between.

My imp

Reaction score
I don't care what other people think. I just think back to what my Mommy told me when I was growing up,"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!". Real car guys admire one & others cars regardless of brand. Some offer helpful tips, some don't. But they show the respect not to criticize or disrespect each other. I know that whenever I bring the Imp that I'll have the only one there. But then, I've always been a nonconformist.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Exactly. The right attitude. Forget narrow minded people, that's all they are, narrow minded. Anyone that matters, does get it.

My imp

Reaction score
I only wish that the logistics could allow all of us to meet at a significant car show or cruise in so that people could see more than a smattering of our vehicles out there, in force, ready to take on all comers! Graze heavily on shrimp, brisket, adult beverages, & drink in all that is F M & J Mopardom! Somewhere as central as possible to all that can make it, summertime, Maybe ake a weekend of it?

72Dodge

Reaction score
There's several in the midwest each year. Monster Mopar, Mopars in the Park (MN), and a little more east, but the Nats. Pick one, make it happen.

My imp

Reaction score
I can do the Nat.'s, but I'd like to try Hershey. The people that run the Nat.'s are true arseholes. I feel I should just hand them my wallet at the gate & IF there anything left at sundown, just give it back! Jasperjacko can tell you what it's like there. I haven't done it in years, but perhaps we can design t shirts.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I was a the Nats this year. It's lame compared to early '90s. I kept waiting for everyone to get there, then finally I realized that was everyone. One of the other show would probably be a better choice.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I took my 5th to mopars in the park a few years back, and my dad took his 5th there as well

ramenth

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but you know what I see? A lot of chips on shoulders about the vehicle of choice.

I'll say this... I've been on FEBO now for about four or five years, thanks to owning a '74 Barracuda. Contrary to popular belief, most of the guys over there don't have million dollar egos to go with million dollar rides. Most of the guys over there happen to be just like most of us out there in the real world: working class guys, building cars with working class guy budgets. There's a few over there who are into restoring and collecting the higher dollar cars, but you know the amount of negativity I've seen for building an M-body (actually, two)? None. Imagine that.

But then, again, I build what I want to build and almost everyone respects that.

What I do see here, though, in this thread, is some of the negativity we perceive coming to us for owning and building the "off letter cars" reflecting back on us. So, I own four B-bodies and one E-body. Am I gonna now start seeing some of the negativity coming my way for wanting to build and drive the cars of my choice?

Once upon a time I floated the idea out there of having a Joey's forums get together at my place next fall. I've had guys from Michigan and Florida tell me that if I give 'em a date, they'll be here. Oh, by the way, they'd be making the trip in E-bodies. That's commitment, not just to getting together for the sites, but also to me, as a member of the community. But, because they'd be coming in E-bodies, would anyone here have an issue parking his or her F,M, or J next to it? 'Cause I can guarantee they wouldn't have any issues with it. Contrary to popular belief, thanks to threads like this one.

Maybe I'm reading too much into shit like this. Maybe I'm not. All I know is my M-body doesn't care if it's parked next to E-body and vice versa. They don't care if they share the garage space with any of my B-bodies and in turn don't care if they sit next to one of my Fords. What I do know, is if you're talking about someone turning his or her nose up at your car and then you do the same at theirs, you've become the very person you're complaining about. Usually the segregation starts with the person claiming segregation.

My imp

Reaction score
I don't care where I park. Have you ever been asked to move your car because these cars only get to park here at a public cruise in. I was the first person there & didn't see any signs saying these spots were reserved. I own 2 B bodies myself, all I'm saying is that it gets a little boring looking at the same 6-7 body types. I notice when anything different shows up that people tend to flock to them. How many Mustangs do you have to pass to see a Fairlane? 50? 60? Same with an Imp or Dip? How many Challengers , Cudas, Chargers? Many (more than not it seems) pass judgement on cars that aren't 100% stock, I see that all the time. Mopar folk are noted for that! If Booger & Skeeter can point it out on Powerblock TV, there must be some credence to it. I've enever put down any cars (except for the imitation orange, brush painted, '69 Daytona roadster at Summit this year, and only because it was unsafe as hell, & the cut up snow brushes that were used for a shifter gate!) I see. Some are better than others, but who's skill level is the same as when they started? You have to start somewhere. I only only try to point out where we get taken advantage of. I thought most of my postings are upbeat & somewhat humorous. That's one thing this site seems to have above the others. People seem to genuinely enjoy each other here, & you can tell when someone hops on just to see how much $$$ they can gouge out of us. I can't speak for anyone except myself, & would love to make it to more shows. What used to feel like friendly get-togethers now seem like a place to deposit cash here, & go have a good time. We had the coolest place for a cruise-in here in Brunswick, Oh. My Classic Car even came here. But when the greed of a few took over, they got the polititions to declare the area off limits for cruising, refused to give the guy who owned the restaurant permits to expand, & generally F'd everything up.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but you know what I see? A lot of chips on shoulders about the vehicle of choice.

I'll say this... I've been on FEBO now for about four or five years, thanks to owning a '74 Barracuda. Contrary to popular belief, most of the guys over there don't have million dollar egos to go with million dollar rides. Most of the guys over there happen to be just like most of us out there in the real world: working class guys, building cars with working class guy budgets. There's a few over there who are into restoring and collecting the higher dollar cars, but you know the amount of negativity I've seen for building an M-body (actually, two)? None. Imagine that.

But then, again, I build what I want to build and almost everyone respects that.

What I do see here, though, in this thread, is some of the negativity we perceive coming to us for owning and building the "off letter cars" reflecting back on us. So, I own four B-bodies and one E-body. Am I gonna now start seeing some of the negativity coming my way for wanting to build and drive the cars of my choice?

Once upon a time I floated the idea out there of having a Joey's forums get together at my place next fall. I've had guys from Michigan and Florida tell me that if I give 'em a date, they'll be here. Oh, by the way, they'd be making the trip in E-bodies. That's commitment, not just to getting together for the sites, but also to me, as a member of the community. But, because they'd be coming in E-bodies, would anyone here have an issue parking his or her F,M, or J next to it? 'Cause I can guarantee they wouldn't have any issues with it. Contrary to popular belief, thanks to threads like this one.

Maybe I'm reading too much into shit like this. Maybe I'm not. All I know is my M-body doesn't care if it's parked next to E-body and vice versa. They don't care if they share the garage space with any of my B-bodies and in turn don't care if they sit next to one of my Fords. What I do know, is if you're talking about someone turning his or her nose up at your car and then you do the same at theirs, you've become the very person you're complaining about. Usually the segregation starts with the person claiming segregation.

Right, exactly, like I said earlier in this thread: "People that matter like seeing different things. Most people I know, do." Most people I know, whether they are Mopar guys or Chevy guys or whatever, enjoy seeing things they don't often (or never) see.

BTW, when I said earlier in the thread that I'm sick of seeing E bodies at car shows, I didn't mean any disrespect to them, or turning up my nose at them. I like them, I've just been looking at them for 30 years, and was/am in need of something different to look at and own. Of all the cars I've had, the one I'd like to have back the most is the '70 Barracuda with 383/4-speed/pistol grip, orange with black top. Awesome car.

ramenth

Reaction score
:eek:ccasion14::cwm21::icon_cheers::eusa_dance::icon_pidu::glasses9:
Party at Ramenth's house!:)

Actually, that's the idea.

And to make it family friendly, too, which a lot of shows forget about. Something for the wives and kids. More to do with getting together and getting to know each other than to "just" show off our rides.

More of an informal meet and greet combined with a cruise in. No trophies, no ribbons, just a bunch of Mopar (and truck) guys getting together and meeting the people they've only gotten to know through the internet.

Back