Wide Whitewall tires for our M's

gporeilly

Reaction score
What does "fleet" mean ???? .... my understanding is that it refers to cop cars/taxi's with a heavier suspension system ??
Any thing else that may affect clearances as it pertains to tire size ??

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The term “fleet” is not well defined, but does refer to police and taxis, both of which were generally sold in “lots”, or a large number at a time.

Several 5th Ave’s were sold/made with police packages (AHB), mainly for security for politicians, etc., but nowhere as many as actual police cars were made.

In the case of your question, I would say the 215/70R15’s are referring to cars with the performance suspension (AHB’s)

Note: the term “heavier suspension” might be misused a bit.
All FMJ torsion bars are the same.
The bushings for the torsion bars (on K-frame and at control arms) – there is at least two and possibly three different hardness to the bushings (police being the firmest).
There are two different front sway bar thicknesses (one with and one without rear sway bar).
There are a number of rear leaf springs made – but for simplicity sake, I will refer to 4-leaf and 5-leaf springs.
Police K-frames come with a different part number and I was told, when I worked in a dealership, they are stronger – but I have sat a police K-frame beside a normal K-frame and I cannot see any difference between the two units. I didn’t weigh them, but would also say they weigh the same.
The AHB's also came with the infamous police wheels (or in case of the few AHB 5th Ave’s, police wheels behind locking wire hubcaps).

Most station wagons and most police (but not all) have 5-leaf rear springs. Some years cars with trailer towing package option came with 5-leaf springs as well as some years cars with trailer towing package option came with 8¼” rear differentials (but again, not all).
It is almost as if a manager on the assembly line(s) used a 50-cent piece to determine which cars got which differential, or leaf springs, etc.

I might word-it as police suspension vs. non-police suspension.
BudW

EDIT: “AHB” is stamped on the fender tag to designate police suspension and all of the other goodies that came with them (125 MPH speedometer, external transmission cooler, etc.). If you find AHB stamped on the fender tag – then you found a police car (or A38 on older F & M bodies).

Mr C

Reaction score
Question ??
My 1988 5th Ave owner's manual {pocket/glove box manual} lists allowable 15" tire size as
205/75/15 {Standard} OR 215/70/15 {Fleet Pkg. Only}
Does "Fleet" only apply to 5th's made with the heavy duty leafs, sway bay, etc, produced for the cop cars and taxi"s ?? Presumably the heavier components gives that little extra clearance ??
My vehicle is the regular passenger model and concerned with clearances if I use the 215/70 or the 215/75. As I am contemplating having them custom made by Diamond Back to get the proper wide whitewall, I want to be confident with my purchase especially in light of the cost. I know I can order the standard 205/75 and be assured they will fit properly but several garages have suggested the 215/70 if I am going to replace.
Some members have been very helpful in providing the exact measurement differences but I still would like a little further input from members that have actually used the varies tires on the standard model.
Don't mean to beat a dead cat with this topic but would appreciate any comments.
215 70 r15 will work just fine and not hit anything.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I have about the cheapest tires money could buy on the 5th, and they are fantastic.

They were Wal-Marts house brand WeatherMaxx All Season. It doesn't get driven in the winter, so it was a no brainer. They have plenty of contact patch which holds traction even when throwing this barge in to a corner. Obviously there is no worry about peeling off the rear ones.. not even in the rain.. lol

205/70/15 is what I got I believe.. $52 CDN? I think I paid.

ps. This picture was yesterday, has sat since middle of October. Did an oldstart/coldstart! lol, externally filled the bowls, hooked the battery up - first revolution of the starter she was purring away.

2018-02-12 16.30.12.jpg

gomopar89

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to update, but here are some photos of my Vitour Galaxy R1 225/75/15s installed. Very quiet tire so far. The only problenm I am having is the whitewalls keep browning! Wesleys BleachWhite every week seems to work, but the browning still reappears.

IMG_20180216_152357.jpg

IMG_20180216_152411.jpg

Back