Will 15x7 rally rims fit an 80 volare?

shadango

Reaction score
Wondering if 15x7 chrysler big bolt rally rims will fit a 1980 volare??? Would they be the same as the chryslre corporate steel rims???

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
'89 rear wheel drive OE (original equipmentl) and down (except older Imperial and small bolt pattern A body) will fit.

The question is tire size.

shadango

Reaction score
We are look in for a set of steels or rally wheels to use for winter tires.....

I think we are now leaning toward maye 15x7 or 15x7 regualr steel wheels .......would 15x6 work you think?

Thinking 15x7 might be too wide?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
15x7's is what most M bodies use.
what I don't know is if F body wheel wells are same size, or not.

shadango

Reaction score
Well we found a set of cop wheels with center caps, dog dish style, will need painted but $170........so we grabbed them.

Now to decide on the tires......for winter ise

Aspen500

Reaction score
For winter use, try and go with a dedicated winter tire like Bridgestone Blizzak or similar tire. Great in snow, a lot better than "all season" tires on ice.
Going from all season's to winter tires on my 4x2 Dakota is about the same difference as keeping the all seasons on and adding four wheel drive every November through April.

shadango

Reaction score
For winter use, try and go with a dedicated winter tire like Bridgestone Blizzak or similar tire. Great in snow, a lot better than "all season" tires on ice.
Going from all season's to winter tires on my 4x2 Dakota is about the same difference as keeping the all seasons on and adding four wheel drive every November through April.

On all 4 or just the rear?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Best to go with all 4 corners. Traction to accelerate is useless if you can't turn or, most importantly,,,,,,,,,,stop.

Honestly, I'd not want to drive through a Wisconsin winter without dedicated winter tires, no matter what vehicle I had. The initial cost of having 2 sets of tires is offset by not getting stuck, or sliding in the ditch (well, reducing the possibility anyways) and the yearly mileage is split up between the 2 sets.
Only downside to winter tires is they wear about twice as fast as the typical all season due to the soft rubber but it's well worth the trade off. Winter tires don't get a treadwear rating on the sidewall.

Oh, almost forgot. The 15x7 wheels will fit just fine on an f-body.

shadango

Reaction score
Reviving this oldish thread to update and ask more questions. :)

When we got the car last summer it had EXTREMELY wide tires on the rear, and 15x10 rims (look like Weld rims but are knockoff one piece rims) and real Weld racing wheels in the front...GUESSING they are 15x7??? In any event, neither set were appropriate for winter use. And the rears are just too big....they stick out a half inch to 3/4 inch past the fenders. Looks goofy and wont pass inspection.

For kicks, we tested the wheels from my Cuda -- rear are zero offset 15x7 wheels with 275 60 15 tires and those actually fit great under the back end of the Volare. But he wants to be able to rotate tires so wont be going "big in back/smaller in front" like ole Dad.

So we ended up finding some barely used snow tires....and we mounted them on the painted 15x7 cop wheels we picked up over the summer. Got us thru the winter just fine. And it looks good aside from the tires being too small IMHO.

Now we are thinking about spring -- my son (its his car) is debating whether:

option 1- to keep the steel cop rims and just put new Futura GLS Sport tires on them for the spring (cheapest route).......find another set of steel over the summer and paint them and remount the snows. But -- my opinion -- steel rims are heavy. The look is cool though.

option 2- reuse the weld front wheels that came with the car and put new tires on them (pretty sure 15x7) and replace the too-fat 15x10 Ultra Nitro wheels (look like the Welds) with 15x7 of the same and new tires to match the front. Thing is, those are uncleared polished aluminum and I know from experience they are a PITA to keep clean. The PVD coated torque thrusts on my Cuda are AWESOME...no maintenance needed and they look SWEEEET.....but costly.

option 3- get 4 new wheels and tires. The most costly route.

Planning on 235 60 15 tires all around so he can rotate and get more miles out of them..... those are the size I am using on the front of my Cuda and they should fit good under the Volare....but should not be TOO big.

Wondering what offset the front wheels need to be? Anyone know what will work? I may try the wheels from my Cuda on the front of his to see if that offset work but wondering what you all are using.

He is also toying with the idea of white walls. Not my cup of tea but its his ride.... LOL ..I prefer white letters or black walls....

Wheels and tires make the car IMHO......so I want him to chose wisely and be happy....

Open to any advice, feedback, suggestions, etc!

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
On the rear of my 80 Volare, pretty much anything and everything has been on there since I got it in 94. I have had 235s,245s,255s,and 275s on 15x8.5s. One time I even ran truck winter tires at 235/75-15s
>The front has always had P235x15s. Usually 75series, cuz they fill those humongous openings. I never paid much attention to the bs on those, anything I got has always fit. I know I have had 15 x 7s on there. Probably a 3.75 bs on those. My Diplomat wheels fit on there, and I think those were 6 or 6.5s
>That poor old car always got the leftovers from other vehicles I owned or stripped out. I always had dedicated winter tires for it tho. One tow call and a half a day's wages is about two tires and 2 wheels right there. And then we have the freezing to death possibility while walking for help, in the pre cell-phone days. Winter tires are usually good for 3 winters, so over their lifetime I probably saved money cuz two tow-calls is a break-even,lol
>I used to weld on tow-hooks onto my frames and carry my own snatch belt. That way any passing truck could give me a tug.Yeah, I might been overdriving my tires now and then. I got a lotta tugs some winters. But as they say; if you don't go hunting for the limits, you don't know where they are, and then they can sneak up on you when you least expect it. In 48 years of driving, I think I only ever got snuck up on one-time. All the rest of those many, many ditches, I got in there by my own doing,lol. Living in a farming community, I got a lot of free tugs.Others are not so lucky.
>They nick-named me "Ditcher" in high school, cuz I had intimate knowledge of most of the ditches in our community, And to a degree, so did my passengers. But they always came back, cuz when you rode with Ditcher, you got your moneys worth.
>One thing I can tell you; Never let your 17 year old son buy a factory stock 70 Swinger 340 4-spd. They had way too much power for their tires, and it was way too easy to get into trouble. And a 17 year old knows chit about driving. Hence my nickname.lol

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have any comment about tires or wheels - except for one thought (which may or might not be applicable).

In Oklahoma City, we get as much ice as we do snow (or melted snow that turns to ice). Ice has a tendency to bend wheels (ie: moving car unable to stop, running into curbs and other obstacles). It happens so one gets used to it.

That said, I would recommend (if you have a choice, that is) using standard steel wheels for your winter tires and cop wheels for the other season(s), because of the potential of bending wheels (I would rather bend a cheaper plain wheel than a cop wheel).

Tires and wheel choices are one of those things that meet the eye of the beholder.

shadango

Reaction score
Looking at the 235 75 15 versus the 235 60 15 -- two obvious differences....

First is that the 75 series IS a significantly TALLER tire as far as side wall....5.6 vs 6.9 inches .....that might mean less performance as far as handling.....

Second is that its a larger diameter tire.....26.1 vs 28.9 inches tall width is the same at 9.3 inches.....so would have to adjust the speedo for that I guess.

Third and maybe the biggest decision maker here is --- the kiddo is saying he would maybe like to go white walls. Not my cup of tea but its his car....but that further limits what tires and treads will be available.......not even sure there are many 15" white walls still out there.....I did manage to find a few in the 75 sidewall.

Finally -- it seems like the 235 75 15 tires are mostly considered "SUV and TRUCK" tires?

Last edited:

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Passenger tires are prefixed with a P, such as P235/75-15
Tires for pick-up trucks are prefixed LT, such as LT 235/75-15
Car tires have car treads. Even M/S (Mud and Snow) tires have smaller blocks than LTs. Car drivers like a lil quieter ride.
Pick-up tires have pick-up treads. You know big open tread blocks.
Size for size,it seems to me,LT-tires may be taller than P-tires
And you are right LT235s were at one time the pick-up tire of choice.
I agree that P235s are probably a lil tall. My old Volare did look a lil cartoonish.
P225/75 might be a good compromise. These are about 28.3 tall, and have a section width of 8.8 when mounted on a 6 inch rim; more when on a wider rim. I don't think the Volare will care about the bs, of a 6 or 7 inch wheel.

shadango

Reaction score
Passenger tires are prefixed with a P, such as P235/75-15
Tires for pick-up trucks are prefixed LT, such as LT 235/75-15
Car tires have car treads. Even M/S (Mud and Snow) tires have smaller blocks than LTs. Car drivers like a lil quieter ride.
Pick-up tires have pick-up treads. You know big open tread blocks.
Size for size,it seems to me,LT-tires may be taller than P-tires
And you are right LT235s were at one time the pick-up tire of choice.
I agree that P235s are probably a lil tall. My old Volare did look a lil cartoonish.
P225/75 might be a good compromise. These are about 28.3 tall, and have a section width of 8.8 when mounted on a 6 inch rim; more when on a wider rim. I don't think the Volare will care about the bs, of a 6 or 7 inch wheel.

Its not so much the 235 part as the 75 part as I understand it, where the sidewall and overall height come in, right?

I have 235 60R 15 tires on the front of my Cuda and it looks awesome.

Does anyone here have 235 60 15s on the FRONT of their 80 Volare or Apsen, with the 15x7 cop wheels that can confirm 100% that they fit with no rubbing?

I guess if the 235 75 15 fits though, the 60s ought to be fine since they are shorter.

Last edited:

got job

Reaction score
What about 70 series tires. I run 215-70-15 on my Aspen wagon. I just changed and put a set of Michilen Defenders on the 10 spoke wheels. Here is a pic with T/A radials, 215-70-15 front and 225-70-15 rear. These wheels are 7x15 also.

IMG_1786.JPG

shadango

Reaction score
We had the new meats mounted yesterday . .....235 60 15.

The look on my sons face when he saw the car with the new tires was priceless.

20170402_175024.jpg

Back