Window weather stripping

charlesvolare

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their window weather stripping and have any recommendations? I assume I can use a pretty universal piece and just trim to size but I haven't gotten a chance to look much into it yet. I'm planning on both the inside and outside bottom pieces on all four doors (sedan). The rest of the upper window seals are okay, but if someone has any info on that too I don't mind just doing the whole thing at once.
IMG_20191226_144702_01.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to get those, myself.
As far as I know, the front door outer window wipes are the same for all F/M-body 4-door cars (’76-89). The rear doors should also be the same length – but I suspect the Fifth Ave cars might be different because the back half of door glass is covered by the door cap extension.

I can’t comment if 2-door glass wipes (inner or outer) will work if cut to length, or not.

To remove the wipes, you need the door glass down (or all the way out). You will see several screws going through the wipe to the outer door frame. This is a good time for a magnetic screwdriver for those small screws can/will run and hide from you.

I wasn’t sure what car you have so I looked up a ’77 F (most popular F-body) and an ’84 M.
’77 Front door outer wipes (Chrysler calls them weatherstrip, window belt front door, outer) part number is 3875396-7 and rear is 3875422-3.

’84 Front door wipes 4310712-3 and 3875422-3 for rears (which is the same # as the ‘77’s).

I would bet a nickel the fronts would interchange between the two years – but not done a side by side comparison to know for sure.

The older Mopar outer wipes look the same but have several small fingers that clip into the door frame whereas these screw in. If you get some aftermarket, post details (and pictures) and what you did to get ‘em to fit for I will be doing this sooner than later, myself.
BudW

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I was looking around on the internet and found a company that advertises these parts for 2 door hard tops. It might be worth investigating if they could be made to work on a 4 door or wagon.
This company also advertises some body gaskets, splash shields, and gaskets for tail light lenses. They also advertise side marker lenses and gaskets.
This company claims to offer custom body and other foam gaskets, perhaps they would do something for the door window seals.
Mopar - F Body 1977-80 - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

Last edited:

Ele115

Reaction score
You can try a bigger glass place locally. I got stuff for an AMC it came on 6 foot sticks and he sold me the clips too. This was a few years ago. Enough for a car was about $80 and I had to cut it to fit. There were tiny slots in the door skin where it went downward like your picture, the clips had sharp teeth that made them stick into the window trim then they snapped into the corresponding slots if you put the clips in the right place. I had to do one twice because it was off but I had extra stuff. Yours is probably quite similar. I would check with the bigger glass places first. MANY will be rude and don't do old cars, just keep looking, there are hundreds of them in the bigger cities, the chain places suck.

Back