windshield on ebay

tim berry

Reaction score
i dont know if any body has seen this .there is a used windshield listed punch in 1980-83 cordoba and it should come up looked like a new listing might be worth a look .just passing it on folks

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
listing states $300 bin, buy it now price and that it will fit Cordoba, Mirada and Imperial. So I guess the Imperial windshield will interchange, this was brought up before.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have gone back and forth with this vendor about this windshield. The "stars" are fr-laminations of the middle plastic sheet from the two outside glass layers. This may or may not be visible when installed, and when I talked to the mechanic that I normally have safety inspect my cars (required to get the car insured up here), he said that windshield de-lamination is an automatic fail for safety. He said that he would be willing to let it go if the de-laminations were not visible when the windshield was installed with all trim in place, but since there is no guarantee that this would be the case, I passed on the windshield. For me, it would be a $600 gamble, $300 for the windshield and $300 in shipping. Somebody else will probably face a lower cost gamhle, as I live in Calgary, and the shipping charges to bring things up there are really high; for somebody in the US, the shipping charges would be much lower. Vendor seems like a good guy, he just can't help me out with this windshield.

This is actually what prompted my question/thread regarding the Imperial windshield fitting on a Cordoba/Mirada. Still unsure if the windshields do interchange or not. It has been pointed out on that thread that the part numbers between the Imperial and the Mirada/Cordoba are different, but that may have to do with tinting as opposed to physical shape; I don't know for sure either way.

Kostas

tim berry

Reaction score
I saw your post thats why i put it up im not on ebay every day like i use to be just looking out for a fellow member. parts in the last year or so seem to be harder to come by

BHA43

Reaction score
Hollander interchange says Imperial is all by itself!

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Another reference below to keep you from making a $600 mistake...

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,118.0.html

Also, the parts catalog does reference different part numbers for clear and tinted windshields for the Mirada and Cordoba and then two different ones for the Imperial.

Maybe someone can spot one for you this weekend at Mopar Nationals in Carlisle.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any leads, new or used, for any windshields that are uncracked. Please keep in mind that this needs to come to Calgary, or at least to Sugar City, Idaho.

Have called 37 different people /companies with no results. I have had the standard "we don't ship/we don't ship to Canada" to the assinine "We don't ship windshields. Nobody ships windshields" to people just stopping any correspondence (email/text/phone). Such is life.

Thanks for taking the time to document the Imperial Winshield information. The rest of the parts interchange information will also be very useful.

Kostas

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Mirada windhield for sale locally. Looks like it wicked condensation up?

CAM00065.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I'd have an interest, depending on if the streaks are in the windsield or an artifact od tge picture taking process, which is what it appears to be. If it isn't a photo issiue, i would tend to think the windshield would have been in an accident, or has been hit wit a fairly large object. If this is a problem with lighting/reflections/imaging, and it isn't in the glass, i would really like to buy it, and get it shipped to me. If it is some form of delamination, or just eveb a cloudy spot in the windhiekd, it will NOT pass safety inspection up here, so I would pass.

Kostas

P.S. Miradamegacab, thanks for keeping an eye out.

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Its not a camera or pic issue. Unfortunately it is a windshield issue. Its been resting on dirt for years and I can only assume, it wicked water between the two pieces of glass.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know. If there was any way of getting the moisture back out, I would still consider buying this. I don't know of any way to do rhis without damaging the glass, but if anybody else does, please let ne know.

I find it odd that the windshield actually wicked up the moisture in the first place. I wouldn't have thought that there were enough unbonded areas to allow that; at least areas that apper to be as large as shown in the picture. I have mo expertise in this area, though.

Kostas

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Are you guys sure it's not just condensation on the back (inside)? The pic looks like it has a big chip, does it?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Not condensation on the backside and no chips.
Condensation is in between the two panes of glass only on the bottom. The whole windshield has air bubbles around the tinted (outside perimeter) part.

.jpeg

My imp

Reaction score
There's another windshield on eBay now for Cordoba 1983-4 4dr(lol) sedan. Looks a lot better than the other one. Doesn't say new or used

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
That doesn't look like a J body windshield, lol, we all got to email PPG, and other windshield manufacturers

kkritsilas

Reaction score
chmirada:

Yes I have. I have also called all the glass shops in Calgary, I have had a parts finding service (paid for) send me a list of people with Mirada windshields, and have called/emailed every single contact on that list. The US vendors either don't ship across the border, or don't ship at all. THe one Canadian yard that does have a windshield is not willing to ship, and is about 3000 Km/1800 miles away, so dirivng there is at least 3 days in each direction. I have had the auto glass replacement conpany that does windshield replacements for the company I work for look into it, and they have come up empty. i have looked on eBay. I have followed up on leads here regarding people who have windshields. the last one in Oregon that I called following up on a lead informed me she wouldn't ship to Canada, and that windshields are never shipped (as if every auto glass place in the world has a small facotry behind it custom casting windshields; but as somebody has pointed out: "you can't fix stupid"). I am still on the llookout for a windsnield for the Mirada, and will gladly buy one that is not priced higher than the cost of the car ($500), but I am concentrating on the 1980 Cordoba that I have. That one is coming along; basic clean up is done, interior is clean, and body cavities and rear bumper ledge have been relieved of their mud/sand/dead leaves. Need to get on with the mechanical stuff, brakes, exhaust system, all hoses and lines, and reworking the ignition system to get rid of the ESA/Lean Burn system and go back to a standard 4 Barrel Carb/Vacuum Advance distributor setup. I am also awaiting the convenience of a friend with a sand blasting cabinet to crushed glass blast my 5 on 5 wheels (10 spokes are on there now).

Kostas

P.S. I have now talked to 58 people regarding the Mirada's windshield. The few people who have said that they can get a windshield custom made are asking about $700-1000 for a windshield, and an additional $295-500 for shipping it.

P.P.S. One of the things that I do is look at the local Pick'n'Pull's inventory for Cordobas, Miradas, and cars of those approximate year ranges (Fifth Avenues, Gran Fury's, etc.). The car I took the replacement front driver's side extension had an intact windshield. Went down with a friend to get the parts, and to take the windshield off. These windshields are bonded in place with some sort of urethane mastic type stuff. Anyway, I took an Olfa cutter type of ultility with a strong blade and a small container of soapy water, having read that this help the blade stay free of the urethane longer. Anyway, I started on the passenger side of the car, cutting from above the rear view mirror towards the passenger side windshield pillar, and then starting downwards on the passenger side pillar. I was about 75% down the passenger side pillar, when my friend says "Forget it". I said "No, its tough going, but it will come out" as I was making progress. He says "Forget it, I cracked it". Turns out that he had just barely pushed on the windshield to get some leverage with his knife, and the windshield cracked. I didn't get mad at hm or anything, because I figure if the windshield was that fragile to start with, it probably would have cracked on the way home anyway. This is the closest I have ever come to finding an intact windshield.

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Me and my son just cut a windshield out of a Mirada using some type of piano wire. Shipping glass is the hard part....

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I would have only needed to move it across town if we had gotten it out, but I think it would have cracked anyway, seeing as to how fragile it was in the car.

I have heard of using the piano wire technique to do this, but didn't have any.

I wonder how the glass places get their replacement glass shipped in. The auto glass guys that we use here at work get glass shipped in from China, and if they have a way of shipping it in from China, they must have a pretty good system to make sure that it doesn't break during the trip (assume that it ships by boat, so getting it on an off the board, along with the ocean journey would provide a lot of opportunity to crack(. I would assume they are using some sort of padded wooden frame that is really rigid, but allows for impact to be absorbed.

Great that you got a good windshield. They are getting hard to find.

Kostas

Last edited:
Back