Wiper Linkage Bushing

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The bushings can go onto either side of the metal arm. That said, I don’t recall hearing about anyone installing them backwards before.

The bushing does need to pop into the arm first, then the arm/bushing does need to pop into the ball stud.

I recently removed a wiper transmission from an M-body not long ago (to rebuild and sell). The car had fairly new bushings installed – but they placed the arms on the ball studs and then popped the bushings onto the ball studs. The arm was captured but was banging around when in use.

I have used both the Dorman and factory bushings. The factory ones are easier to work with, but I have no problem using either.
I prefer to add a smidge of grease inside the bushing before snapping the bushing onto the ball stud – but not sure that is even necessary.
BudW

88_AHB

Reaction score
Is there a special tool or trick to get the "star nut" off to get the wiper arms off?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A normal end wrench/socket fits. A 7/16", I "think".

You can't use a normal nut, for the wiper motor shaft extends past the nut surface - so a normal nut would not tighten the arm down.
BudW

88_AHB

Reaction score
So I’m a newb at this, didn’t want to mess up anything. How do I get these arms off to get the linkage out? I received the mopar bushings so I’m good to go on that.Thanks
18F5C21B-9328-465D-8C94-BA086CD3481E.jpeg
5BD09EBF-EE10-4B53-BE9A-4C0FCF564441.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a medium to small flat blade screwdriver.
Pull the arm (blue arrow) away from the glass as far as it will pull up (a few inches).
Take the screwdriver blade and insert at the red tab and twist a bit. That tab will come out a short distance (1/8th of an inch or so). The tab will now hold the arm part away from the glass.
Now gently take the arm part and rock up/down while pulling on the hub part. It will come off – how fast depends on how much corrosion is present. Some cases fast, other cases takes a few moments.
If it still doesn't want to come off, get some WD40 or something and spray that direction, let soak and try again.
4C0FCF564441.jpg

Note. This is the drivers side arm. There is pin that holds the secondary arm in place (green arrow) so when reinstalling the wiper arm, make sure it is on the pin – or it will scratch the paint upon first use of wipers.
BudW

Edit: the large nut and steel washer under the nut is not normally painted. For that year car, both are painted black (if anyone cared to know).

88_AHB

Reaction score
Thanks Bud,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma now.So when the bushings failed two did it at the same time,the one on the motor and the one from the motor to the drivers arm. They pretty much disintegrated and just fell down once this happened.I put all the new bushings onto the arms first,got everything to where I think it should be. Then went to snap the last one onto the motor.Turned on the switch and the wipers moved some but then bound up and stopped.I'm guessing the arm from the motor is binding up somehow? Does anyone have pics of the linkage on how they should be facing and arranged? I wasnt 100% sure on this arm since it failed and can't reference which way it should of been when it came out.

Camtron

Reaction score
Thanks Bud,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma now.So when the bushings failed two did it at the same time,the one on the motor and the one from the motor to the drivers arm. They pretty much disintegrated and just fell down once this happened.I put all the new bushings onto the arms first,got everything to where I think it should be. Then went to snap the last one onto the motor.Turned on the switch and the wipers moved some but then bound up and stopped.I'm guessing the arm from the motor is binding up somehow? Does anyone have pics of the linkage on how they should be facing and arranged? I wasnt 100% sure on this arm since it failed and can't reference which way it should of been when it came out.
I’ll be in the garage in a few minutes and post a couple pictures
First photo is motor to drivers side, wiper
Second photo is passenger side linkage and wiper
Third photo is drivers side linkage and wiper.
If you look closely on the second photo, there’s actually and ‘R’ stamped onto the linkage to indicate that, that side goes to the right (passenger side) and an ‘L’ on the other to indicate that that goes to the left (drivers side). The ridged side of the linkage should be facing up and the channel side down to keep water/debris from collecting in it.

659D4259-51BE-46B7-989D-BC1FF45D8912.jpeg

82EA33D8-C068-418A-AC3C-1D0CEE08B08F.jpeg

C8573051-A567-44A4-8BA4-31AC7EC15061.jpeg

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
I think the linkage from the motor to driver side wiper even have a ‘M’ and ‘L’ stamped to indicate what they go to.

Last edited:

88_AHB

Reaction score
Thanks camtron, I did notice the parts marked L,R and M
I did some digging and found a schematic of the linkage here 4026046 - Mopar Parts Giant .
Between the pics and the schematic, I found that the driver's arm wasn't suppose to be behind the center arm (long section) and was suppose to be in front closer to the firewall,wiper motor etc. Once I flipped this around and reconnected everything,turned on the wipers and no binding and has been good so far.

The suggestion of throwing the bushings into a pot of boiling water helped a lot,also greasing these areas as well.I also found that when inserting the bushings into the linkages sinking one part lower first helped. Rather than pressing the the bushing inward all together in one step.

I also discovered while doing this is to take your time. I didn't pay attention when reassembling, while I was threading the nut on the wiper arm posts I buggered up some of the threads. I didn't notice that the base of the threaded posts have a flat spot. Apparently the cowl has a matching flat spot where these are suppose to sit. So that portion was spinning while I was turning the nut and spinning against the cowl damaging the lower threads. I took a die and thread file and they cleaned up just fine.

These pics are before moving the drivers arm from behind to in front,I forgot to take a pic of the correction.I should of taken more pics and i'm sorry for that. This was a learning experience and frustrating at that but, i'm glad that its done.FYI I did use the mopar bushings rather than the dormans.
IMG_0287.jpg
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited:
Back