Wiper motor crank arm nut 1988 5th Ave.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I`m thinking he wanted to remove the crank arm so he could pull the complete linkage out to make it easier to replace the bushings. I also have done them while the linkage was still on the car. I use a small c clamp and a socket to press them in.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't comment for the other person (people), but when I remove an FMJ wiper transmission assembly to replace the bushings, I will remove the short arm from the wiper motor (leaving the wiper motor in place) and both wiper pivots - as an assembly (or pieces depending on condition of bushings).
Then I take a sharpie and make a line, or dot, on the front edge of Left side of both metal arms. I do that because the arms will get moved around a lot getting bushings off and back on again - and sometimes i don't remember how the arm came off when re-assembling. A quick mark solves that problem and sense it is deep inside the cowl, you can't see the paint marks when re-assembled.

Getting those bushings re-popped back into place takes a bit of effort to do, so I highly recommend attaching the wiper motor arm onto the bushing before putting the transmission back into the cowl.

I still can't picture how or why the nut is doing what it is doing - for as many wiper motors and transmissions I have manhandled (at least 200) I haven't experienced this to be a problem before, so unsure as to what to say.
BudW

Master M

Reaction score
I wanted to remove the motor to see why the nut will not unscrew off of the motor shaft. I have never replaced the wiper arm bushings, so it sounds like from others who have, it is easier to do it on a work bench. If the wiper motor should ever fail, I will be able to unscrew the nut off of the motor shaft, remove the crank arm and replace the motor.

Master M

Reaction score
I removed the wiper motor and attempted to remove the nut. I had to put some leverage up on the crank arm to get the nut to unscrew. Being the original wiper assembly, I can only assume by looking at the shafts stripped threads, the factory nut was installed with an air gun. I was able to re thread the shaft, found a matching locking nut and a spacer washer so the nut could not be threaded past the threads on the shaft again. The threads on the original nut looked undamaged. The bushings weren't too bad to install on the bench, but seemed like it would be difficult in the car. The wipers work like new again. Thanks for everyone's help.

Camtron

Reaction score
Noice

8AF953D0-8A96-4564-BFD8-19821B2B313E.jpeg

Ele115

Reaction score
There's a reason they sell impact guns that go to 1,800 foot pounds and you can put 6 adapters on them. Ignore the torque specs. If you think it's way too tight, go some more.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's a reason they sell impact guns that go to 1,800 foot pounds and you can put 6 adapters on them. Ignore the torque specs. If you think it's way too tight, go some more.
Don't even get me started! We get vehicles in that have been worked on elsewhere and would love to find the thick necked oaf named Gunter that over torques fasteners, especially lug nuts and lug bolts. WTF? :mad: The spec may be 80 ft lbs (for example) but I swear some are torqued to about 250 ft lbs. That's when the mega torque impact is really nice to have in the tool box.

69-

Reaction score
Hehe, yeah.

But my camper needs approx 300 ft lb.... can I get Gunter (seems to be a german fellow) borrowed every now and then?:cool:

Ele115

Reaction score
Believe it or not there are people in dealerships that think front cover bolts are torque to yield

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The lugnuts on my '97 Dodge 3/4-ton diesel pickup require more torque to tighten (to specs) than what most (imported?) vehicles can produce ...

69-

Reaction score
The lugnuts on my '97 Dodge 3/4-ton diesel pickup require more torque to tighten (to specs) than what most (imported?) vehicles can produce ...
I have to agree. Just looked up the 2009 VW Phaeton 4.2 V8 I used to drive - approx. 330 ft-lb of torque. Phew, that's not a whole lot (although that car was not slow despite its dinosaur-like weight...).
Same goes for the 2000 A6 V8 before the Phaeton - 295 lb-ft.... I don't lookup all the others.

Now today, my carpark consists of old Mopars only. Only my wife has that tiny Seat Ibiza - I don't look its engine torque up, as that would be humiliating. :)

Back