Wiper Motor Interchange

Duke5A

Reaction score
My wiper motor fragged. There isn't a later model one that is smaller/lighter that will interchange by chance is there? Thanks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler quit using the FMJ "mounting style" wiper motor in '93 when the pickups changed over to newer body style. No, wait, that was '02 when B-vans quit production. The '84 and up wiper motor is the smallest/lightest version, that is also a simple bolt-in, that I am aware of.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Is your old motor the delay with park type motor. Ive one new one that would go on a fancy car that has delay, ect. I ran the on one time and it came back odd.

Anyways if this will help you $20 plus shipping, I will never use it for my rigs and the next best thing is the trash.

DSC03970.JPG

DSC03971.JPG

DSC03972.JPG

DSC03973.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler went to a new design wiper motor in '84, that looks like this:
20211004_110000.jpg

There are quite a few different versions, but most will '84 and newer wiper motors will interchange.

If you get a motor from a parts store, you will need to transfer the mounting bracket/plate to new motor:
84up Wiper Motor a.jpg

84up Wiper Motor b.jpg

If you notice, the top picture has a external (but attached) electronic part on it (with a missing cover), where as the picture above does not - but both motors will interchange. The version just above has the electronic portion inside the cover.

The motor that @XfbodyX pictured is for an '76-83 FMJ (depending on 2 or 3-speed version and if delay wipers or not). It will require a new pigtail and re-wiring to fit.
With that said, I think I know someone looking for a wiper motor, just like the one you have, @XfbodyX.

I hadn't weighted them, but would bet a single US dollar the '84 (and newer) version is lighter than the older ('76-83) 2-speed, 2 speed with delay or 3-speed wiper motors are.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Before changing the motor try grounding it. I've never had motor problems but have had ground issues with them and that'll make them stop completely.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got the 84 and newer style already. Was hoping there was something even smaller floating around mini starter that was introduced in 88.

The delay module on my motor melted and the motor shell itself is pretty beat up. Figured I'd go new and rebuild the linkage at the same time.

Thanks guys.

Back