Won't start at all

MoparDan

Reaction score
A few days ago I moved my Fury, then a few hours later went to start her: nothing, everything works (radio, horn, gauges, lights, ect) but no crank, nothing, and yes I tried starting in neutral, still no start. The starter was replaced in August, the timing chain, water pump and fuel pump were replaced about a year ago, the battery was replaced shortly before that, the spark plugs and voltage regulator were replaced a few months ago, and cap and rotor were done 9 days ago. Car is a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury with 188,110 miles, totally stock engine

brotherGood

Reaction score
Dan, did you try the starter relay like suggested on Farleys? it's a strong possibility that the connections are really corroded and at the very least need cleaned

Aspen500

Reaction score
An idea, check the neutral safety/ back up lamp switch on the trans. Had to relace mine last summer for a no crank. Drove the car, shut it off in the driveway, went to put in gaarage and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing.
If you hear no clicking from anything, it'd be a good place to start.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I tried to jump the relay like they said it didn't work, there is some corriosion on the connectors (I'll see about getting a new one tomarrow when get my check (only got 2 dollars on me right now)

How do I check the neutral safety switch?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Turn ignition key to 'run/on' position.
Remove wire #3 (starter solenoid) and put that wire to battery post positive+.

The starter should crank. Engine should start.
No crank= bad starter.

14305-1846673c36f186ea8435b8deae0bc26c.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
Turn ignition key to 'run/on' position.
Remove wire #3 (starter solenoid) and put that wire to battery post positive+.

The starter should crank. Engine should start.
No crank= bad starter.
oh, I was doing it wrong before...it just started raining so I'll try that tomarrow, Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you got a cheaper rebuilt starter, it could be a bad starter motor.

You might want to tap on its side with a socket wrench or something to see if that helps.
If it does, then it’s time to trade it in on another.

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t recommend for people to jump the starter, at the starter.
It's too easy for your wire/screwdriver, etc. to touch ground, which in turn “releases the smoke” from the before mentioned wire (or screwdriver).

The starter has two wires connecting to it. The large one from battery and the brown wire going to starter relay.
Unplug the brown wire from starter relay. Gently pull the brown wire out and towards the battery. Take a small screwdriver and insert into the back side of the brown wire connector (not the plug in part – for that will bend that part out of shape). Touch the small screwdriver/connector to positive battery post.
Much safer and does the same thing.
If battery is charged – but it doesn’t crank over, then 99.44% chance it’s a bad starter.

** Note: It is so hard to ”place the smoke” back into the wire – that people will evenally give up and replace it with new wire.

*** Note: 99.44% is some random number I came up with - that may or might not be correct.

Back