Woodgrain vinyl

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Check out the new Chinese woodgrain vinyl on my Volare Premier wagon. About $125 in materials.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't see a pic besides the avatar.

I went to his garage pics.

downloadfile.jpg
downloadfile-1.jpg

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Looks great!
How hard was it to do?

I went right over the old vinyl with the new, weathered delamination and scrapes and all. The woodgrain hides everything. It was an opportune time to go over all the brightwork with some fine sand paper. Laying the vinyl was a 2 man job, slow and steady gets it done. Absolutely a DIY project. About $125 in materials, Chinese sourced vinyl.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Looks really nice.
If you redo the matte black paint in the indent in the trim it'll look absolutely mint.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Details on the Chinese source?
I believe that was Vivid brand, color -Mahogany, or something toned a dark ruddy brown, I found it on Amazon.com. It looks great in person, the finish is not matte nor is it glossy... more like the satin finish with a woodgrained texture. Looks nicer than the old stuff when new, in my opinion.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Did you pull off the trim, and lights, or did you leave all of that on, and take the material right up to the edge?

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Did you pull off the trim, and lights, or did you leave all of that on, and take the material right up to the edge?

I pulled all the brightwork trim except for the upper 1/4 panel pieces, I tucked up under them. There are a few anchoring pieces that unscrew, once they're free just push down on the trim, unhook from the bottom and lift out and up and off. I deleted the door edge guards... they were not cut correctly to fit the wagon brightwork trim for the woody wagons, the guards caused the key lock brightwork piece to sit unsquare. The woodgrain vinyl is plenty of door edge protection anyhow, makes it look lots cleaner.

Mr C

Reaction score
That is the best match to the factory woodgrain that I've seen.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
That is the best match to the factory woodgrain that I've seen.

It is closer to the original color than any of the other tones of stretch vinyl I saw advertized. The old woodgrain is more orange, this is more rust-red colored. The lack of gloss is the other difference, the satin-like finish still has a little reflection over the body contours. Very happy with the result.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
5th Ave leather interior
Delco Twilight Sentinel auto-lamp
Delco HEI
Timing cover saver
Close contact dist rotor
KYB shocks
Seat heater/massage
Leather wrapped wheel/tilt column
Leather wrapped headrests
Overhead console with compass/thermometer
6 way power seat, dual recliners
Auto-dim rearview mirror
Electric side mirrors
Side marker flash upgrade
Headlamp upgrade w/Relay circuit
A/C, PS, PB, Speed Control, Light package

Mr C

Reaction score
It is closer to the original color than any of the other tones of stretch vinyl I saw advertized. The old woodgrain is more orange, this is more rust-red colored. The lack of gloss is the other difference, the satin-like finish still has a little reflection over the body contours. Very happy with the result.

Let me know how it holds up. When I bought new woodgrain for my 77, it wound up shrinking bad and I had to pull it off again.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Let me know how it holds up. When I bought new woodgrain for my 77, it wound up shrinking bad and I had to pull it off again.

I need to smooth it all out still, it has a few air bubbles. That will have to wait til summer to warm it up. It seems stable but ya, I won't know til it does.

Large improvement per $$$ spent so if it looks fair in 5 yrs, I won't complain.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I noted that this product was UV treated which is what preserves material in the sun, it had a rating for interior and exterior use.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent set of wagon door edge protectors, if you plan on getting rid of you old ones . . .

BudW

Back