XXX302 Casting Heads Wanted

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am after some 318 1985 and onwards swirl port heads casting number XXX302 does anyone know where I can find some or does anyone have any they may like to sell?

Thanks
Bruce

Mcfly68

Reaction score
You would be better off in using EQ heads...they are based on ( improved on) magnum heads, can be had in magnum or LA intake bolt configs...outflow x heads , inexpensive ( $339 a head over here)...and even made in your neck of the woods ( australia) so should be pretty cheap to import. This is some info from the US distributor on the heads. With these heads now available...302's, x, and j's are just a waste of money unless they are needed for class rules in racing

http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/eq-cylinder-heads/chrysler-magnum-head/

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I did a search and can't seem to fine them in Australia, I was wanting a cheap way to get the compression up on my 1983 smogger 318, I have a cam to go in it that is speced to about 4500rpm. so I am not needing super high flow heads. Is there any other options I could consider?

Thanks
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
THe only other way of getting more compression (but only a very minor increase) is to use thin head gaskets, or mill the heads (more compression increase). Milling the heads bring with it the need to mill the intake manifold as well, and you may need to check valve train geometry. All of that really doesn't address the lack of flow from the LA heads. The EQ heads get you more compression as well as having vastly improved flow. The improved flow generally results in some power increase across the power band, unless the flow increase is due only to making the intake/exhaust runners larger. In the EQ heads, which are actually based on the Magnum heads, they have made much of their improvements without resorting to huge runners, so they work well over a wide range of RPMs.

I have also heard that the heads are actually cast in Australia. I don't know if there are any Mopar clubs in Australia, but if there are, they might be a good place to start asking about the EQ heads.

Kostas

Back