Y-Pipe for 88 Fifth Ave

dm330

Reaction score
My tech says he needs a new Y-Pipe for the old lady and gave me Summit part number 40235 as the piece he thought would fit. Summit says it is for a Dakota and was unsure if it would work in the Fifth Ave. Does anyone know if those parts are interchangeable, or what know of any other part numbers that will work, or should I order a universal kit and have a new Y Pipe fabricated?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Even if the Dakota y-pipe bolted right up to the manifolds , they hang down farther under the bellhousing than a car. It would need to be modified to bring it up tighter for road clearance. You'd probably be ahead of the game by having one made. Besides, using good aluminized pipe to fab one, it would probably outlast the Walker piece 10 to 1. They're thin gauge, not aluminized (or aluminized very well) and tend to rust out in a couple years.

If there's no shop where you live that can bend, flare and weld a new one up, a couple of aluminized mandrel u-bends, a length of straight aluminized pipe and the flanges, along with a chop saw and MIG or TIG welder would work. Tedious figuring and cutting the bends to get the correct angle but it's really not that bad to do. especially if you have the old one to go by.

dm330

Reaction score
Hopefully they can do that at their shop. They wanted to wrap up the work on the suspension before installing the fuel injection system, so the car still isn't drivable.

Back