ZDDP motor oil

realgone58

Reaction score
I need to change the oil in my recently acquired '86 Fifth Ave. I understand that roller lifter motors don't require oils with a high ZDDP content. I believe Chrysler went to roller lifters in the 318 in 1985. However, it's probably had oil in it with a high ZDDP content for most of it's life, just for the simple reason that oils had ZDDP up until recently. Should I go with Valvoline VR1? Is it necessary for an '86 318? I know it is for older motors with flat tappets, so I do use a high ZDDP oil for my two older Plymouths. I just want to know what's best for my car.

LSM360

Reaction score
You're right in that your '86 Fifth has a roller cam and does not need the Valvoline Racing Oil, unless it somehow was fitted with the "S" code 4 barrel HP engine, which continued with the other cam.

I would use a oil with zinc additive (or add a zinc additive) for your older engines without a roller cam. It is cheap insurance to protect the lobes.

NoCar340

Reaction score
High-ZDDP "shelf" or standard oils went away in the mid-1990s and were virtually non-existent by mid-'97 other than diesel, motorcycle, and racing oils. It is not a recent development by any means. Magnum engines didn't use roller cams because they were somehow better for performance (they're not unless they're solid rollers), Chrysler (and others) were aware of what was coming. They just keep decreasing it occasionally. Your engine has been run on low ZDDP oil for nearly 20 years or so, so if it's a 2-barrel motor and it runs well, you're probably fine. Depending on mileage, though, you might want to take a look at your rocker arms.

Somewhere around here I have a memo regarding the use of diesel or racing oil in flat-tappet "classic" engines. It's dated 1996.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm a believer in the Valvoline conventional in any unknown mileage car. It has never let me down. It is not oil leak in a bottle like Q-state, Pennsoil, castrol and a certain other few that have filler material in them with high detergent. Never had any mopar of mine or my brother's or my dad's leak with Valvoline. Out of 9 mopars we killed 1 2bbl 360 and 2 slants, but we were pushing them beyond reasonable limits.... if there was video for the ultimate FAIL, I'd show it. In all it was user error

realgone58

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's the roller 2-bbl "P" in the vin engine. I used regular Valvoline in it. It has 134,000 on it, but runs like it has 34,000 on it. On my other two cars, which are a '58 and a '61, I use the Valvoline Racing VR-1, which still has adequate ZDDP content for the flat tappets.

dusterdan

Reaction score
Why not buy nice n' cheap conventional of your favorite brand and add this ebay item:

It seems that you'd still come in under the price of buying VR1

Back