crappy mileage in 318 '76 Volare

egodeath

Reaction score
Seems like 12 mpg is pretty bad for a great running 318 with auto trans. It's city driving, but not lead footing. Doesn't get much better on highway.

Is this as good as it gets?

efriedrich

Reaction score
I would love to get 12 mpg. My smoged out 318 with a malfunctioning lean burn gets about 5 mpg.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'd have to look up F's to see if there's any difference (kinda doubt it)
But the EPA rating for a brand spanking new 1988 318 with a 2bbl. was 17mpg city and 23mpg highway... I'd say your doing alright.
That ain't no Kia your driving

res1vw21

Reaction score
I get 20 with my worn out blowing past the rings 318...... You need to ditch the smog crap in favor of electronic ignition (orange box works just fine), a non smog carb thats properly tuned, make sure your timing is properly set ect....

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Seems like 12 mpg is pretty bad for a great running 318 with auto trans. It's city driving, but not lead footing. Doesn't get much better on highway.

Is this as good as it gets?

I would say you could improve it a bit, but dont look for big improvements, maybe can squeeze 2-3 mpg more, but thats about it.... I know you say your not lead footing it but driving style does play a factor... M2C

egodeath

Reaction score
Hmm... maybe I'll try retarding the timing a little, supposed to be 0 TDC but I advanced it a little. Got rid of all the smog stuff I could (EGR), but in Calif the 1976 year is still smogged so can't do much.

Maybe I should just inflate my tires, an important guy said that works too.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Hmm... maybe I'll try retarding the timing a little, supposed to be 0 TDC but I advanced it a little. Got rid of all the smog stuff I could (EGR), but in Calif the 1976 year is still smogged so can't do much.

Maybe I should just inflate my tires, an important guy said that works too.

Well as far as smog law goes, Ca rules the roost so to speak, and during those earlier years the Ca cars WERE different. I dont know if the Lean Burn crap is on yours or not, but can give you a link and read about the different smog controls, and what they do effect and what not to disconnect. Its not a v8 forum but has some in site here about the 5th post down. I would think tho 12 mpg can be bettered with attention to tune as stated above Tire pressure will help but only marginally @ best, and wouldnt go over 37-38 psi...

egodeath

Reaction score
right, Ca smog rules suck blue whale. Yes of course did tune ups and inflated tires as President suggested. Guess I should just ride a bicycle. Sure miss my Camry that was totaled out by Senior No License, didn't want to have to use the Volare as my regular car. At least it's not lean burn.

Last edited:

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
my 76 318 4 speed volare got about 12 mpg on the hwy.it has a bad clutch and flywheel. i put a new timing chain and tune up in it last year.I don't look to get much more then that.

egodeath

Reaction score
Wow, 12 mpg highway with a 4-speed. How about a little cheese with our whine? But that's why we're here and not on a K-car forum.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Wow, 12 mpg highway with a 4-speed. How about a little cheese with our whine? But that's why we're here and not on a K-car forum.

Yep...
Like I said, that ain't no kia...
Could always trade your ride in for a yaris.
I hear they're great on gas........
Mind you then you'll have to get neutered. :eusa_think:

res1vw21

Reaction score
Sounds like some people need a lesson on tuning and setting up a car ect.... No reason a 318 should be getting such horrible millage.

My big block C body gets 15mpg with decent performance.

ramenth

Reaction score
Sounds like some people need a lesson on tuning and setting up a car ect.... No reason a 318 should be getting such horrible millage.

My big block C body gets 15mpg with decent performance.

I agree. My sister's ex '76 Volare, slant/4OD got 34mpg highway at a steady 60mph. And that was averaged over a trip from upstate NY to the Tampa, FL, area and back.

I saw somewhere in this thread that someone was going to try to lean it out. Being in good tune and looking for more mileage isn't leaning it out. Car's still got to have a happy place for A/F mixture and that happy place is 13.5-14.5. Go below the low end and the tune gets worse, go above the high end and the tune gets worse.

If all you're getting is in the low teens I think I'd go over everything, starting with a compression check. Pull a few plugs and read 'em. Don't know how to read 'em the old Chiltons books had some good pics with explanations in 'em. Doesn't hurt to acid test the coolant. What's the thermostat temp at? What's the condition of the rear, what's the overall condition of the trans?

After that I think I'd have to look in the mirror and see what I'm doing wrong. No jack rabbit starts, no quick braking. Adjust your speed to try to time the lights. Steady speed. It's amazing how teaching yourself to drive for mileage effects actual mileage.

My old '99 Alero got 21-22mpg combined all day long. I started out with about 18-19mpg and adjusted my driving. Sold the car to a 19 year old girl and she can't break the 15-16mph mark.

egodeath

Reaction score
No jackrabbit starts, even when totally grannying it the mileage was bad. But according to posts, it should/could be better. Checked timing, it was way advanced, set it back to 0 TDC and we'll see in a few days. PS, only has 86,000 miles on it so doubt if it is compression or transmission issue. OK, I'll check the plugs too. NO, they are not the original plugs.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
After that I think I'd have to look in the mirror and see what I'm doing wrong. No jack rabbit starts, no quick braking. Adjust your speed to try to time the lights. Steady speed. It's amazing how teaching yourself to drive for mileage effects actual mileage.

My old '99 Alero got 21-22mpg combined all day long. I started out with about 18-19mpg and adjusted my driving. Sold the car to a 19 year old girl and she can't break the 15-16mph mark.

I KNOW that works... I had an old beater truck i used for commutes. '67 ford with a transplanted mid 70's model 460.... drove the truck for 4-5 years, but took me 6-7 months to "learn" how to drive it.. avg mpg when i first got truck was in the 7-8 range, but adjustments to driving "style" and got it to 12-13 ish... all in town driving. Friend needed transportation for awhile, i had gotten a different vehcle so loaned him the 67.. he b%tched, moaned and complained about mileage, till i taught HIM how to drive all over again in it.. M3C.. Hard look @ driving style although you may think you are 'grandma'ing' it around you may not be..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
During trailer season I go up north pretty much every weekend.
I almost always take my 5th.
I used to hammer it so I could get there faster.
Got tired of driving in the video game fast lane with all the lunatics
Started doing about 105 kms/hr. in the slow lane (speed limits 100)
Figured out two things...
One...taking it easy really only added about 20 minutes to my drive time on a 3 hour run
And two... I saved a crapload of gas.
And I wasn't white knuckling with the morons in the fast lane (ok..that's three things)
A win win deal I'd say.
So yes... Driving style makes a BIG difference.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I drive my cars hard, I know I could get better mpg if I would just take it a little easier.

Back