crappy mileage in 318 '76 Volare

YY1

Reaction score
I've never had a newer 318 than 73 until now, but I've had 5 of them and they all got in the neighborhood of 20 MPG average, even with a 3.23 rear.
I'm betting the 87 roller 9:1 with lockup trans gets at least as good, if not better!

ramenth

Reaction score
PS, only has 86,000 miles on it so doubt if it is compression or transmission issue.

Don't bet on it. Verify.

When was the last time the trans had a complete service? We're talking Mopar here, so both bands need adjustments. Take the trans cooler lines off the radiator and put the pressure side into a bucket, crank the car, and let the pump pump it all out. Reattach the trans lines, fill. Repeat. Use the new trans fluid as a flush. Drop the pan, change the filter, make your adjustments, and refill with quality ATF+4.

Unless you have verifiable proof that the trans was done at 30K or 60K then you have no way of knowing if the trans has ever been done. And if it was done, was it done by one of the sleazy box stores that like to hook up a machine, use generic one-size-fits-most fluid, and never bother to drop the pan to change the filter and make the necessary adjustments.

I push my customers for 30K services. It's amazing how many vehicle owners out there will change the engine oil at 3K and completely ignore the trans for maintenance until it becomes a problem.

A well tuned trans can make a huge difference in how the engine performs.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
I KNOW that works... I had an old beater truck i used for commutes. '67 ford with a transplanted mid 70's model 460.... drove the truck for 4-5 years, but took me 6-7 months to "learn" how to drive it.. avg mpg when i first got truck was in the 7-8 range, but adjustments to driving "style" and got it to 12-13 ish... all in town driving. Friend needed transportation for awhile, i had gotten a different vehcle so loaned him the 67.. he b%tched, moaned and complained about mileage, till i taught HIM how to drive all over again in it.. M3C.. Hard look @ driving style although you may think you are 'grandma'ing' it around you may not be..

During trailer season I go up north pretty much every weekend.
I almost always take my 5th.
I used to hammer it so I could get there faster.
Got tired of driving in the video game fast lane with all the lunatics
Started doing about 105 kms/hr. in the slow lane (speed limits 100)
Figured out two things...
One...taking it easy really only added about 20 minutes to my drive time on a 3 hour run
And two... I saved a crapload of gas.
And I wasn't white knuckling with the morons in the fast lane (ok..that's three things)
A win win deal I'd say.
So yes... Driving style makes a BIG difference.

The way people drive you'd think that gas is cheap. I have 'em tailgating me in the 30 zones to go faster, trying to push me off at the green lights, damn near hit me at the reds.

We have a 4 lane here that runs through town, full of red lights. Fourty mph from one end to the other. I've driven this road pretty much all my life. Lights are timed for 45mph. Folks get in the left lane and haul ass while I'm puttering along in the right line doing 45. I watch 'em get stacked up at the lights while I cruise through. Then they race by me again to sit at the next red, while I just keep hitting every light green. I'm saving gas, and getting to the other end at the same time they are for speeding. Clueless.

And these people are the biggest b****ers about the price of gas.

I've taken the wife's XG from 16 average to about 18 average. Not a big jump, but big enough that we go through a tank in 10 days, not 7.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep. Love watching the nutjobs.
Going up north on a Friday during summer
The highway eventually becomes a parking lot.
I watch guys whipping from one lane to the next pretending to get ahead.
I just stay in my lane, cruise along and wind up passing them about 3 or 4 times.
Good entertainment.
Now... Truth be known..
I certainly enjoy hammering the pedal once in a while
(Pretty sure that's why they made V8's)
But when I do.. I'm fully aware that I just blew some extra money.
Sometimes it's worth that little extra to stretch her legs.

ramenth

Reaction score
Now... Truth be known..
I certainly enjoy hammering the pedal once in a while
(Pretty sure that's why they made V8's)
But when I do.. I'm fully aware that I just blew some extra money.
Sometimes it's worth that little extra to stretch her legs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the loud pedal, too. Especially when it comes to a little canyon carving, or de-stressing a bit after a long, ass-kicking day at the shop.

The wife's XG is computer governed to 125mph. And it likes to get there quick when the DOHC's powerband comes in. :toothy12:

Erics5th

Reaction score
I can't remember. Did California cars have lean burn that year? In any case, it could be your carb needs a rebuild or a new (not remanufactured) one. Check out the ignition system real good, even looking at the timing chain. I know you said its low miles, but 318's are good for wearing out there timing chains for some reason. Catalitic converter? Could be plugged. For reference, my 5th Avenue gets around 20 mpg with a Eddy Performer and 1406 600cfm 4bbl and full 2.5" exhaust. Those engines like to breath a bit, and every little bit helps. 12mpg isn't bad around town, but not on the open road. But than again, in California, unless your doing 80 your getting run over, it was true even 20 years ago when I lived in the Bay Area. Meaning, if your keeping up with traffic, your milage will drop. Around here in Texas, most speed limits are 70-75, so speeds up to 80-85 are ok as long as your not driving like an idiot. I'm lucky if I get 15 at those speeds.

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
Wow, 12 mpg highway with a 4-speed. How about a little cheese with our whine? But that's why we're here and not on a K-car forum.
who said i was whining,when i get the new clutch,fly wheel in,i may intentionally get worse mileage or maybe better.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the loud pedal, too.

I hear that.
I probably stomp it a little more than I should (financially speaking)
But sometimes ya just can't help it.
And yes it does cost me more money
But I just humor myself with the notion that gas is still cheaper by the liter than beer. :icon_jook:

res1vw21

Reaction score
I hear that.
I probably stomp it a little more than I should (financially speaking)
But sometimes ya just can't help it.
And yes it does cost me more money
But I just humor myself with the notion that gas is still cheaper by the liter than beer. :icon_jook:

Not when you brew it yourself!

Erics5th

Reaction score
I was on my forth when I posted that... uuuurp. And I have to work tomorrow. &%$###*&!!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I was on my forth when I posted that... uuuurp. And I have to work tomorrow. &%$###*&!!

My standard morning after saying is...
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Just cracked #5....... Cheers. :icon_jook:

BTW... I gotta work too.

res1vw21

Reaction score
Yep cost of ingredients is about $41 for a batch (5 gallons) of damn hopy IPA, I am growing hops as we speak so that cost will go down once the plants yield.

P1070661.jpg

Erics5th

Reaction score
Great! Even got a job offer in the engineering department at work today...and I'm not even an engineer!

What was the original posters question? :icon_tongue:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Great! Even got a job offer in the engineering department at work today...and I'm not even an engineer!

What was the original posters question? :icon_tongue:

Congrats!
I think the original topic was something to do with crappy mileage in a 318 or something.
I'm not sure.... On tallboy #5
Listening to Yngwie Malmstein
Keep in mind.... Our beer is 5%, eh?

Last edited:
Back