crappy mileage in 318 '76 Volare

egodeath

Reaction score
after changing timing

OK, drove 80 miles city after setting my timing back to 0 TDC per Calif smog rules. Now gets worse mileage, 10 MPG, harder to start and run cold. Does this make sense to anybody? Naturally I will advance the timing again, but have no good clue where the right spot might be.

Checked trans fluid level fine, clear. Could it really be trans causing a problem?

That homebrew looks fine, good enough to cure my mileage whining. Were those glass bottles the primary fermenters?

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
OK, drove 80 miles city after setting my timing back to 0 TDC per Calif smog rules. Now gets worse mileage, 10 MPG, harder to start and run cold. Does this make sense to anybody? Naturally I will advance the timing again, but have no good clue where the right spot might be.

Keep playing with it. Like I said, the car will have a happy spot. Advance a few degrees at a time.

Don't know if you answered this question already, but does the car have lean burn?

egodeath said:
Checked trans fluid level fine, clear. Could it really be trans causing a problem?

Nope. It was just a suggestion and a word of caution on maintenance. People have a habit of overlooking the trans for maintenance. And overlooking the trans for potential mileage gains.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you're timing chain is stretched then putting your timing at zero has in reality retarded the crap out it. I set mine by feel cause I'm pretty sure the accuracy of my timing mark went out the window years ago. The way I set both of mine up is
Keep advancing it in baby steps a squeak at a time, put it in drive, hold the brake and start leaning into the gas. Keep nudging it forward till you JUST START to here it knock under load. Nudge it back a squeak and you're done.
That works pretty well for me.
Like Robert said...
They all have a happy spot. You just gotta find it.

Last edited:

Erics5th

Reaction score
Very true on the "happy spot". Mine seems happy at 8BTDC. BUT, I have also played around with the advance (mechanical) in the distributor. Something you may want to do also.

YY1

Reaction score
Out of the box solution I used to use while setting timing-

I used to pull up and touch the front bumper to a phone pole, then leave it in drive, and get out and load the engine while moving the dist.

Worked and saved a ton of time getting in, driving, stopping, getting out, repeating, etc.

I've also seen A LOT of sloppy timing chains get mis-diagnosed as carb issues.

Last edited:

egodeath

Reaction score
Right, will search for happy spot, but one question about Captian's "dyno check" method - is the vacuum advance disconnected?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Last edited:

egodeath

Reaction score
I just meant Captain's method of checking advance while running the motor in drive. True, not really dyno, sorry. Anyway, car is running nice with it advanced back to I don't know where, can't really tell the setting cause the marks are almost impossible to see. If mileage is still 12 then I'll get a 12-pack.

Last edited:

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I just meant Captain's method of checking advance while running the motor in drive. True, not really dyno, sorry. Anyway, car is running nice with it advanced back to I don't know where, can't really tell the setting cause the marks are almost impossible to see. If mileage is still 12 then I'll get a 12-pack.

Does that mean if its getting 24mpg time for a case? :toothy6:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

With stretched timing chains, etc.
The only real timing trick is finding that sweet spot.
I like mine advanced as much I can get away with without knock.
Seems to like it.
Keep in mind though that I only run 91 octane.

BHA43

Reaction score
I put a deal on my motor home that uses a Audi/VW knock sensor. When it senses a ping it lights a LED on the dash. I can see if I can find the name if interested. I think it was around $100 without the sensor.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's very cool.
In Egodeath's case I don't think he needs to go that route.
Just advance as far as it "wants" to go.
The first hill you hit, you're gonna know if you went too far.
I did the final timing tweak on the 5th ave in the beer store parking lot.
You hear a knock, squeak it back a smidge.
SWEET SPOT.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Hmm... maybe I'll try retarding the timing a little, supposed to be 0 TDC but I advanced it a little. Got rid of all the smog stuff I could (EGR), but in Calif the 1976 year is still smogged so can't do much.

Maybe I should just inflate my tires, an important guy said that works too.

Why do you have your timing set at 0 degrees timing ? Is this base timing ?

Back