Dodge Aspen restoration project for my exam in one topic.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Did you got my address to your PM?

I installed push rods and rocker arm assemblies in the engine. I didn´t receive the washers that should go between the rocker arms, 4 per one side. The parts catalogue has them drawn into the exploded picture, but there aren´t part numbers or item descriptions. There weren´t washers in my old rocker arm assemblies, neither is on my in- use 318. Is this normal to have these kind of misdraws in catalogues?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I have Chiltons, specifically for Aspen and Volare, then I have the 2 shop manuals that cover 1980 passenger cars, and then I have the OEM parts catalogue. Only place that mentions the washers is the parts catalogue. I browsed through SummitRacing and found out that they do sell the washers for rocker arms.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I came to conclusion that they are just some misprints on the catalogue. I see no washers between rocker arms in any photo found with Google.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The washers (spacers) were used on big blocks, not small block. The shaft hold downs under the bolts are what also locate the rockers on the shaft. Only reason I see they may be shown for a small block is you can use shims if needed to center the rocker. Valve spring shims are generally what's used. Shouldn't need them though unless some other part is worn.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried if the rocker arms can misfire away from the valve, but thats not possible as theres not that much room for them to move along the rocker shaft.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I´m back again, straight from school! Todays topic was forced induction and installing one on our show- of craftsmanship cars. I browsed through the internet and there was some discussion about 360 engines. Teacher mostly preached us about pros of turbo and cons from supercharger. He almost made it sound like superchargers were straight from hell and never to be used in any scenario.

We had to think about differences in naturally aspirated and charged version of our SOC- cars, in this case, a Dodge Aspen. 1: Could the drivetrain (lockup 727 and 8 1/4 sure- grip axle) survive the power from a supercharger? 2: How could ESA system handle the increased manifold vacuum and so on? 3: Does supercharger require special pistons or main bearings?

My own hypothesis is; 1: the lockup and rear axle would fail straight after first kickdown. 2; ESA makes variable different ignition curves pending on many different sensors so it might not go insane from the vacuum increase. 3: it pends on supercharger, as you can adjust it not to take on all the possible gain. Please, give me your knowledge/hypothesis.

greymouser7

Reaction score
these transmissions are much stronger than you or your colleagues give them credit for, much stronger.
It really depends how much boost or psi you run, maybe less than 8 psi and a light foot could be alright with the transmission built up

let me know when you have money for shipping money or save up enough for a whole 727

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I still haven´t got the whole parts package sent to me, but I remember your offer.

A bit of Off- topic, but my fiance has a real interest in American made cars as well but she wants to be a bit different than me, so she won´t want a traditional MoPar, but an early Jeep Wrangler from late 80s instead. I tried to do some research on Jeeps in general and I wonder that if it´s a Mopar, why did they use AMC engine instead of slant six and LA family?

greymouser7

Reaction score
Mopar 72 73 Dodge Plymouth Small Block 727 Automatic Transmission - US $149.99 - Seller: gregpurcell -this is the the guy that sold me the bucket seats HERE on forfmjbodies

This is a Mopar small block 727 transmission from a 72 318 Charger. The numbers are correct for 72-73 small blocks. The date code is 72. The trans looks good but I have never seen it run.
Since I have not tested it however, I am selling it as a core.

This item is for sale locally. I reserve the right to end the auction without advance notice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-72-73...lock-727-Automatic-Transmission-/331537261793

Kaitsu

Reaction score
P5010965.jpg
P5010966.jpg
P5010967.jpg
P5010968.jpg
P5010964.jpg

P5010964.jpg

P5010965.jpg

P5010966.jpg

P5010967.jpg

P5010968.jpg

Last edited:

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Hello again! After a brief "vacation" off my Aspen I´ve been finally getting time to take the 1st photos of the ride as well as few pics of the space I do my car in, and the current 360 engine, where I found that theres a small slice missing. There is, as always, a few questions as well.

The red rubber rings, what are they for? Which plug do I need to install into camshaft end hole, the half- ball shaped one or flat one with a lip?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Im sorry I have been off- line for few weeks greymouser. He doesn´t ship his tranny even inside his country... I´m still working with the Canadian lad for his 727, I was called back in the army for some re-education, just in case so I couldn´t have time to deal with hobbies. I haven´t forgot on what we´ve been talking about.

On the same post, I found some nice wheels near Edmonton, Canada. Seller´s not excited about shipping either, so I was wondering if there could be any help from someone in here living near Edmonton?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I finally got the deal done and the rims are now mine! Nice bargain I think, 250 CAD for a set of original set of rims.

I began to browse for paints to paint my engine with. I found the correct color codes from Mopar Performance but I can´t find instructions for their enamel spray paints: do they need primer like other paintwork, do they need curing as VHT enamels or is it just overspray?

Back