Dodge Aspen restoration project for my exam in one topic.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Good to know that tails are interchangeable. My budget for a core- conditioned transmission would be somewhere about 250 euros, but of course the budget will be reconsidered if there are transmission known to be in working order. The Atlanta fellow is exactly on my budget, but there will be shipping costs that won´t be a problem, I know what I signed for. Is there a way to call to the guy? I don´t see any phone numbers on the ad or so on. I´d like to ask if there was a lockup in his merchandise.

The reason I want a lockup is that I need to drive about 80 kilometers to work everyday on a highway and is no lockup in my current 318, would be nice to see/feel the difference.
I wouldn´t like to interfere with the overdrive- A999 or A518 since they aren´t bolt and play installment.

I know I´m being picky and a bit too strick on my demands, but I´m grateful that you have been helping me with this, for example, I would never have found anything on craigslist.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Good to know that tails are interchangeable. My budget for a core- conditioned transmission would be somewhere about 250 euros, but of course the budget will be reconsidered if there are transmission known to be in working order. The Atlanta fellow is exactly on my budget, but there will be shipping costs that won´t be a problem, I know what I signed for. Is there a way to call to the guy? I don´t see any phone numbers on the ad or so on. I´d like to ask if there was a lockup in his merchandise.

The reason I want a lockup is that I need to drive about 80 kilometers to work everyday on a highway and is no lockup in my current 318, would be nice to see/feel the difference.
I wouldn´t like to interfere with the overdrive- A999 or A518 since they aren´t bolt and play installment.

I know I´m being picky and a bit too strick on my demands, but I´m grateful that you have been helping me with this, for example, I would never have found anything on craigslist.

A999 is exactly the same as an A904, but stronger with 5 clutch plates (A904 has 3 clutch plates, A998 has 4). The A998, and A999 both have lockup, but no overdrive, and the outer case is the same in all; the changes are all internal (first gear is 2.74 vs, A904 2.45). The overdrive A904 is the A500. An A998, or an A999 should bolt into place of an A904; from what I remember the lockup is hydraulic, so no interface changes, either (you will need the correct torque converter, A904 torque converters won't work). The A500 is physically bigger, and longer. It also has an electrical connector that must be interfaced to the rest of the transmission in order to get the overdrive and the lockup to work.

The A518 is not part of the A904 family. It is based on the bigger, stronger A727. The three speed A727 is bigger/longer than an A904/A998/A999, and the A518 is bigger/longer than the A727.

Kostas

Last edited:

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Oh, soo many differences... I only have the manuals for A727 and A904 so I´m getting more sure that the 727 would be the easiest way to get the transmission part succesfully completed.

Off topic: does anyone remember C- cassettes? How does one record on a blank? I can´t depress the REC button on my blanks but I could overwrite on my flea market Iron Maiden album? When I try recording from a radio station, all I get is a woooosh sound on the cassette, even when they were playing music loud and clear... Damn you elder folk got it the hard way before all the internet downloading came along...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Off topic: does anyone remember C- cassettes? How does one record on a blank? I can´t depress the REC button on my blanks but I could overwrite on my flea market Iron Maiden album? When I try recording from a radio station, all I get is a woooosh sound on the cassette, even when they were playing music loud and clear... Damn you elder folk got it the hard way before all the internet downloading came along...

Here is your typical cassette.

20150201_080321.jpg

The reason you can't depress the record button is because someone had knocked the plastic tab out to prevent erasure.
You'll see on the top one of the tabs is knocked out on this tape.

20150201_080402.jpg

20150201_080432.jpg

When you insert a cassette into a recorder a feeler like piece presses against that tab. If it's present it will allow the record button to be pressed, if it's missing it will not....the old trick is to put a piece of tape over the knocked out tab.....like so.

20150201_081458.jpg

20150201_080321.jpg

20150201_081458.jpg

20150201_080402.jpg

20150201_080432.jpg

Last edited:

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Got it, put some tape on them, working great now. I also found out that they still use some anti- recording distorter on our radio waves, thats why I can´t record off a radio...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Got it, put some tape on them, working great now. I also found out that they still use some anti- recording distorter on our radio waves, thats why I can´t record off a radio...

Bastards....

Just run lines from your phone, iPod, etc into the tape deck.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Oh well, my mom had saved her old cassettes from the days they were in, got some great bands like Judas Priest, older Ozzy and Motörhead. Damn those guys could make the best of their voices, and without autotune!

To be honest, I don´t own an iPod or have a phone with those abilities. I have some old Motorola... Possibly vintage in 5 years.

Last edited:

greymouser7

Reaction score
A999 is exactly the same as an A904, but stronger with 5 clutch plates (A904 has 3 clutch plates, A998 has 4). The A998, and A999 both have lockup, but no overdrive, and the outer case is the same in all; the changes are all internal (first gear is 2.74 vs, A904 2.45). The overdrive A904 is the A500. An A998, or an A999 should bolt into place of an A904; from what I remember the lockup is hydraulic, so no interface changes, either (you will need the correct torque converter, A904 torque converters won't work). The A500 is physically bigger, and longer. It also has an electrical connector that must be interfaced to the rest of the transmission in order to get the overdrive and the lockup to work.

The A518 is not part of the A904 family. It is based on the bigger, stronger A727. The three speed A727 is bigger/longer than an A904/A998/A999, and the A518 is bigger/longer than the A727.

Kostas

Kostas, when I was talking about interchanging tailshafts, I was talking only about small block 727's, and in between different vehicle 727's. My tailshaft from a Volare onto any small block 727 he gets his hands on.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I mean, the station frequencies include some anti- recording thingy that you can get when recording onto a magnetic reel, instead of music you just get woosh and squealing. Mouser, do you think theres someone who could call this Atlanta guy? I just got my phone bill after negotiations with NationalMoparts in Canada and Brads NOS Moparts in USA and I really don´t like what I´m seeing.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Kaitsu and Greymouser7:

I was clarifying the statement made previously that the A999 was an overdrive transmission, or that it would be interfaced or controlled by some way other than what a standard 3 speed A904 or A727 would be (see post #101). Neither are true, and added some background information.

Kostas

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Good that statement is now correct.

I was reading the shop manual about the engine assembly and if I remember correct, I didn´t have any kind of grooves on my crankshaft bearings, even though in the book it shows that there was supposed to be 1/2" groove on upper crankshaft journal. Anyone has had the same thing going on?

greymouser7

Reaction score
What the heck is that? It would not happen with an older cassette radio.

I'll bet you a thousand dollars to donuts that the anti radio recording problems that you have are NOT encoded in the radio waves but are a copy-right protection device implemented into YOUR tape recorder.

I mean, the station frequencies include some anti- recording thingy that you can get when recording onto a magnetic reel, instead of music you just get woosh and squealing. Mouser, do you think theres someone who could call this Atlanta guy? I just got my phone bill after negotiations with NationalMoparts in Canada and Brads NOS Moparts in USA and I really don´t like what I´m seeing.

I can do the calling and negotiating BUT someone one like Blackbirdsrt78 {Rich} would have to be contacted/asked/motivated/paid to drive and pick-up/check out the transmission as it is 7-8 hours of driving from me. I am on the south east corner of the state of Georgia and Atlanta is on the north east-over 300 miles away (is that 500 kilometers?)

I'll call if you can get someone to do it. I am not sure if Rich has his family right now to take care of, and I know (because Rich and the wife facebook) that he is working a new job.

If you can't get him to help, I will keep looking as the transmissions do pop up in Jacksonville, florida -the city closest to me.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Rich doesn´t have time to participate in the project at the time. I hope you can keep an eagle eye on the markets Mouser. By the way, what kind of yokes can a transmission have? I mean, theres bolt on, which is quite self- explanatory, but slip on yokes? How are they attached into the main body? However, Im very interested in your F- body yoke, Mouser. How much would you ask for it?

BHA43

Reaction score
Bolt on is truck/motorhome app. and requires a splined end on the drive shaft that inserts into a slider reciever that bolts to tail shaft. 727 and 904 have diff. size yolks also.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Rich doesn´t have time to participate in the project at the time. I hope you can keep an eagle eye on the markets Mouser. By the way, what kind of yokes can a transmission have? I mean, theres bolt on, which is quite self- explanatory, but slip on yokes? How are they attached into the main body? However, Im very interested in your F- body yoke, Mouser. How much would you ask for it?

I really don't give a ship about the item's value as I am trying to refuse having anything to do with three speed automatics in a car I plan on regularly driving. The real value to me as a man with 3 years underwater (20 deployments) is what time I have or use. It won't take long to wrap up the the tailshaft and mail it/ship it. Honestly I don't have the bucks to drive up to west of atlanta right now or I would have done last weekend. I just asked the wife to update her phone's topify so we upload photos-when it works you'll see what I have, including a garage so dirty that it has been alluded to on this forum before (ten years of buying F-body parts on a budget). It's too bad you don't need a big block 727, because I cannot sell them with OBO in the low listed price.

Back