Exhausted Exhaust

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it then
and if you put the duals on with a pair of quite mufflers, I don't think anyone would say anything

NoCar340

Reaction score
I think you'll be quite happy with the "Canadian" Y-pipe, the catalytic nonverter, and a free-flowing muffler. It's a stock 318, not a high-winding 340... then again, if you plan to build the engine at a later date, well, you might want to have room for expansion but unless you go nuts I think you'd be fine with the original system I suggested. Duals definitely win the cool factor, though... want to buy that exhaust hanging over my workbench? :icon_biggrin:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think you'll be quite happy with the "Canadian" Y-pipe, the catalytic nonverter, and a free-flowing muffler. It's a stock 318, not a high-winding 340... then again, if you plan to build the engine at a later date, well, you might want to have room for expansion but unless you go nuts I think you'd be fine with the original system I suggested. Duals definitely win the cool factor, though... want to buy that exhaust hanging over my workbench? :icon_biggrin:

What will you hang your coat on? :icon_biggrin:

I agree....being a stock smogged 318 I think those exhaust upgrades will more than suffice and make a major improvement in how the old gal breathes.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it then
and if you put the duals on with a pair of quite mufflers, I don't think anyone would say anything

You'd actually be surprised....
There are still some old school boys working for the gubberment who would immediately wonder why an old Fifth Ave has dual exhaust....

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
that sucks
but you know me, I'd do it anyways
but I'm a rebel like that :eusa_whistle:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
haha right
i'm planning on putting duals on the stinkin Lincoln when I get the insurance check
luckily I can buy everything from the cats back new off amazon
plus I may try n gut the cats while I got the rest off

NoCar340

Reaction score
Go back to the link early in the thread and get a pair of those. Cheap, easy, and even a hollow cat doesn't flow that well. :icon_biggrin:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
then I'd have to do some welding, and at the moment I don't have a welder, else id fab up new down tubes with no cats

brotherGood

Reaction score
1395-951_zpskbazivvw.jpg

Here you go..chop the tips off and keep your single pipe in the back (disconnected)..they'll never know the difference.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Damnedest thing... they invented these things, they're called "saddle clamps". Next thing you know we'll have space travel! :icon_biggrin:

If you're going to hollow out the cats, won't you have to do some welding to reattach them to their pipes? Or is it a straight shot in there from a flange?

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
theres 4 cats on the down tubes from the manifolds, then from each down tube theres a flange where you bolt up either the y-pipe or h-pipe to, when I unbolt the y-pipe I chould be able to jamb something up there to brake it all loose then fire it up n blow it out. if anything ill unbolt em from the manifolds to make it eaiser

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Pre cats......blech.....
It's amazing how badly that emissions crap can kill the power of an engine.
The 318 originally wasn't a badly powered engine but by the 80's it was a slug.

NoCar340

Reaction score
My high-school best friend had a 318 in his '74 'Cuda that was amazingly powerful. Someone had been in there prior to him owning it, so we never did figure out what was done other than zero-deck pistons and some kind of aftermarket camshaft. With 3.23s turning an open diff the car ran consistent mid-14s, with an OE 318 carb and all factory iron manifolds. I'm pretty sure someone had tricked out the carb but neither of us cared enough to look because it was a freakin' BBD. The guy that sold him the car told him, "If you put a four barrel on that thing, you'll scare yourself." We never did, though, and I don't know what happened to that 318 after he pulled it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's what I mean....
By the time you got to the Fifth Ave variety of a 318 it was pegged as a gutless slug
But in it's true form with a descent cam and an exhaust that actually breathes it's a damn respectable little workhorse.
That's also why I plan to stick with the slant in my Caravelle...
In bogged down form it's a boat anchor....the two barrel Super Six is a massive improvement but with some not so over the top mods and de smogging even that little bugger will surprise people.
I love a 440 and a Hemi but I'm also a massive fan of slants and 318's.
Indestructible, reliable and massaged the right way....kickass little engines.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, you also have to remember that you're up against 2.2 or 2.4 gears. That's hard to overcome. 2.94s would be a breath of fresh air. As far as mods, all you'd really need to wake up what you've got is factory electronic ignition and a TQ. That's all I did to my old Fifth, other than the gears. I didn't even use an orange ECU. I tossed the heavy spring out of a stock distributor and replaced it with a light one, did the Big Fat Friend timing, and installed the TQ on a junk Performer intake I had lying around (I say junk because the water crossover was so corroded the thermostat eventually fell into it). Factory squad-car air cleaner, and that car was a blast... with 100% original triple-cat factory exhaust.

Back