Exhausted Exhaust

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The possibilities are truly endless....
Myself....I'd love to go exactly that route.
The 2.2's are definitely one of the defining factors..
Here's the thing now.....this thing takes me to the trailer every weekend to the tune of an easy extra 300 miles a week. I Don't mind the gas mileage I get from those gears.....so would my millage drastically change with 2.94's and the mods so described?.....TQ and all....

NoCar340

Reaction score
With the 3.21s I think we were seeing around 14-15MPG with that car. I'm not 100% sure. It was bad, but not awful.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Everything I've heard or read leans to 2.94's
Seems to be a good compromise.
The 2.2's are brutal off the lights. :clock:

Now does this gear change require a rear end swap?
Or can I stuff them into what's there.
Hell I'm not even sure what it is......
8 1/4"? It didn't look as dinky as the 7 1/4" in my Caravelle but I could be wrong....I'm usually under the front end......not the rear.

Last edited:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
one for the 5th and one for the caravelle
then youll have two spare rear ends for the volare :p

NoCar340

Reaction score
The later 7.25" axles have a larger cover, unlike the early versions. It looks like an 8.25", but the giveaway is the axle tubes. If they swedge down to 2.5" where they go into the pumpkin, it's a 7.25". All Mopar passenger car axles had 3" tubes except the 7.25"; the center casting never changed when they went from 2.5" to 3" tubes to decrease the component variances on the assembly line.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The later 7.25" axles have a larger cover, unlike the early versions. It looks like an 8.25", but the giveaway is the axle tubes. If they swedge down to 2.5" where they go into the pumpkin, it's a 7.25". All Mopar passenger car axles had 3" tubes except the 7.25"; the center casting never changed when they went from 2.5" to 3" tubes to decrease the component variances on the assembly line.

Since I'm positive it's the newer style because it appears bigger than my Caravelle....so with the larger cover I can't stick a set of 2.94's in there?
Hunting rear ends will prolong a somewhat simple task.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
one for the 5th and one for the caravelle
then youll have two spare rear ends for the volare :p

LMAO.....
The warehouse is looking good buddy.... :poke:
Last thing I need is a couple of rear ends in there.
I still have an NOS fender for a wagon I'm probably not getting.
If I can avoid a rear swap I will.....I'll swap the Caravelle one if I ever blow it up.... :icon_mrgreen:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Hunting 2.94 gears for a 7.25" might take longer than finding an 8.25" with them already in it. :eusa_doh:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Nocar340 said:
Well, you also have to remember that you're up against 2.2 or 2.4 gears. That's hard to overcome. 2.94s would be a breath of fresh air. As far as mods, all you'd really need to wake up what you've got is factory electronic ignition and a TQ. That's all I did to my old Fifth, other than the gears. I didn't even use an orange ECU. I tossed the heavy spring out of a stock distributor and replaced it with a light one, did the Big Fat Friend timing, and installed the TQ on a junk Performer intake I had lying around (I say junk because the water crossover was so corroded the thermostat eventually fell into it). Factory squad-car air cleaner, and that car was a blast... with 100% original triple-cat factory exhaust.

My exact game plan right now minus the gears.. I honestly don't find them that bad off the line. Dunno what you all crazies talkin bout haha. Is it a rocket? no, but even with the 2 barrel not running properly it still didn't struggle to get going to speed.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm starting to need a freakin' warehouse. Anyone need some E-body parts?

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I need a warehouse to. I got a storage unit, a shed, a Dakota bed, the bed of my ram, and the inside of the 46,dart, and 5th full of parts :eusa_doh:

drpreposterous

Reaction score
My turn!
My '77 LeBaron coupe is gonna need a new exhaust. Just the stock 318, and I'm no rodder. But is the dual exhaust/new 4bll carb/intake/headers upgrade I see talked about here that much more trouble or expense than simply replacing what I've got? Can I replace what I've got (I've heard some word that you can't find the parts)? I don't mind spending some more money for a good fun sound and breath-ability. Also, anyone know good Mopar tech guys in Detroit area? My mechanic does not want to do a dual exhst conversion.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My turn!
My '77 LeBaron coupe is gonna need a new exhaust. Just the stock 318, and I'm no rodder. But is the dual exhaust/new 4bll carb/intake/headers upgrade I see talked about here that much more trouble or expense than simply replacing what I've got? Can I replace what I've got (I've heard some word that you can't find the parts)? I don't mind spending some more money for a good fun sound and breath-ability. Also, anyone know good Mopar tech guys in Detroit area? My mechanic does not want to do a dual exhst conversion.

As far as I know you have to shift the gas tank over to run duals on an M. I can't remember if I've already mentioned it on here but my plan is to go with a Canadian Y pipe as they call it. A Walker 40430 and then run a 2 1/4" pipe back to the muffler and out. Better breathing and easily available parts. Plus it's an easy install.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-40430

wlk-40430_ml.jpg

wlk-40430_ml.jpg

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
^^

Troooth, I have read of big numbers being achieved even on an exhaust with all 3 cats.. So, to rid the system of 3 cats and go with a better flowing muffler would seem to me like duals would be a waste of time. Unless you are going for big power numbers that is.

Back