The 225 SSS

alf44

Reaction score
found a hyd cam n lifter set on the bag for 200.00 and solid lifter cam for 135.00 ,,not a bad price for stock replacement cams

tallboy

Reaction score
This thread is getting old, but I imagine this is a winter project, and spring hasn't arrived just yet, so...

Captain Caravelle said:
I can apparently use something like a 360 air cleaner base from a Dodge truck that will fit a 4 barrel and the Super Six pie plate will fit.

Maybe not, it depends on how much room you have above the engine. I have an Offy intake and some 2- and 4-bbl Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors for my SL6 project engine. All those carbs have the same dimensions for the air cleaner flange as a standard 4-bbl. I have fitted my stock SuperSix intake with an Autolite 2-bbl, and discovered problems when trying to make an air cleaner fit under the hood of my Aspen. I tried to fit 2 different truck air cleaners, but the were to tall, even when the Autolites are almost 1 inch lower at the flange when compared to a Carter BBD. Clearance is usually not an issue on truck engines.
In my case, I think the only easy solution is to use an air cleaner from an Aspen/Volare (or similar) 4-bbl 318/360 V8 engine, they have base plates molded to clear the linkage, while hugging the engine for clearance above. Some of the base plates for custom 'open' air filters will hit the linkage or other parts. I want to keep the heated air option, so I guess I will make my own base plate and adapt it to a 2-bbl air cleaner. Customizing a slant is not always easy!

tallboy

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
This thread is getting old, but I imagine this is a winter project, and spring hasn't arrived just yet, so...

Maybe not, it depends on how much room you have above the engine. I have an Offy intake and some 2- and 4-bbl Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors for my SL6 project engine. All those carbs have the same dimensions for the air cleaner flange as a standard 4-bbl. I have fitted my stock SuperSix intake with an Autolite 2-bbl, and discovered problems when trying to make an air cleaner fit under the hood of my Aspen. I tried to fit 2 different truck air cleaners, but the were to tall, even when the Autolites are almost 1 inch lower at the flange when compared to a Carter BBD. Clearance is usually not an issue on truck engines.
In my case, I think the only easy solution is to use an air cleaner from an Aspen/Volare (or similar) 4-bbl 318/360 V8 engine, they have base plates molded to clear the linkage, while hugging the engine for clearance above. Some of the base plates for custom 'open' air filters will hit the linkage or other parts. I want to keep the heated air option, so I guess I will make my own base plate and adapt it to a 2-bbl air cleaner. Customizing a slant is not always easy!

tallboy

Still waiting for spring.....and money.

Thanks for the heads up.
I just heard that idea so I haven't put it into actual use yet.
I'll have to investigate but my thinking was that the housing on a stock 360 (pre magnum) was the same....truck or car.

tallboy

Reaction score
Haha, there are other values in life besides money, that's how I could 'afford' to stretch my project over more than a decade, while I'm slowly and carefully contemplating the next step in the build process! :icon_biggrin:

I am unfamiliar with eventual differences in air cleaner design between car, truck and van. I have always imagined that the limited room under the engine cover in a van dictates a lower air cleaner compared to a truck, but it is not easy for me to physically check the facts, the scrap yards over here are not exactly bristling with US made vehicles!

tallboy

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Haha, there are other values in life besides money, that's how I could 'afford' to stretch my project over more than a decade, while I'm slowly and carefully contemplating the next step in the build process! :icon_biggrin:

I am unfamiliar with eventual differences in air cleaner design between car, truck and van. I have always imagined that the limited room under the engine cover in a van dictates a lower air cleaner compared to a truck, but it is not easy for me to physically check the facts, the scrap yards over here are not exactly bristling with US made vehicles!

tallboy

They aren't bristling here either.
At least not anything older than say 1998.
They love crushing them up here.
I'll have to double check but I do believe a 360 housing is the same on both truck and car. With the budget restraints Chrysler had at the time I can't see them not using the same engine stuff across the board.

Back