The 225 SSS

alf44

Reaction score
with a header someone could make the heat stove for the intake,, pretty easy to do that but to make a heated intake stove would be harder but could be done... but a good question is.. with just a few mods like a hotter cam, bigger carb, shaved head for higher compression. is it worth the cost for the spendy manifolds and/or extrude honing. think all us slanty drivers want more power without losing driveability and without costing more than we paid for our cars. i do like cappys ideas and wouldnt mind a bigger 2 bbl than the carter BBD but cant go the 4 bbl way.

alf44

Reaction score
I wonder what the opening differences are between a stock manifold and Dutra's?...

dont think there are any differences, the pics ive seen of the dutra are a stock left side with the heat stove and a custom right side, so looks like the stock inlet size to me

BHA43

Reaction score
Scrap the cast iron & put a tube header on. you can get them with single or dual outlets. with the 4 barrel and not driveing in cold temperatures you won't need the heat stove. Will look & sound better & prob. a few more hp!

alf44

Reaction score
leaves me out cause im in the cold temps,,, i drive mine year round,lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Scrap the cast iron & put a tube header on. you can get them with single or dual outlets. with the 4 barrel and not driveing in cold temperatures you won't need the heat stove. Will look & sound better & prob. a few more hp!

Functionally speaking I fully agree.
But the object of my little fantasy slant is to have everything appear as stock as possible. I have no dreams of this thing being a monster by any stretch.
Just a little more oomph and the bonus of kicking open secondaries for a little jump......if you know what I mean....

BHA43

Reaction score
Were talking the Caravelle right? That thing will look like a sleeper no matter what you do! (meant in a nice way)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Were talking the Caravelle right? That thing will look like a sleeper no matter what you do! (meant in a nice way)

Thank you Sir!
That's true....but yeah....my whole mental twist on this has been to pop the hood and it looks like a stock Super Six......but it has a little surprise under the air cleaner....at this point though everything is just on paper and could easily change along the way.

alf44

Reaction score
i think a good sleeper would be to shave the head up to .100 ,there is enough meat there to go a bit farther. a hot cam solid or hyd. good 3 angle valve job with port n polish and cylinder clean up. either a hotter 2 bbl or a small 4 bbl hiding under the stock aircleaner. keep as much of the polution control crap there just not working-not hooked up. a good 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 exhaust with no cat( where law alowes )
... maybe a higher stall converter /and or shift kit. 3.23 gears

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
i think a good sleeper would be to shave the head up to .100 ,there is enough meat there to go a bit farther. a hot cam solid or hyd. good 3 angle valve job with port n polish and cylinder clean up. either a hotter 2 bbl or a small 4 bbl hiding under the stock aircleaner. keep as much of the polution control crap there just not working-not hooked up. a good 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 exhaust with no cat( where law alowes )
... maybe a higher stall converter /and or shift kit. 3.23 gears

I would agree but this is going to be a definite low buck job.
Basically my idea is a thumpier cam but not insane, manifold swap to accommodate a small 4 bbl and exhaust.
The idea being to keep what the 2 bbl has but pop the secondaries and there's more.

Unless I win the lottery I have no preconceptions of turning this thing into a monster. I've seen some beautiful slant builds but they all require mondo money.....which at the moment I don't have.

This build is strictly for fun right now.

alf44

Reaction score
I would agree but this is going to be a definite low buck job.
Basically my idea is a thumpier cam but not insane, manifold swap to accommodate a small 4 bbl and exhaust.
The idea being to keep what the 2 bbl has but pop the secondaries and there's more.

Unless I win the lottery I have no preconceptions of turning this thing into a monster. I've seen some beautiful slant builds but they all require mondo money.....which at the moment I don't have.

This build is strictly for fun right now.

mostly what im thinking just not the shave n hair cut,lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
mostly what im thinking just not the shave n hair cut,lol

Lol!!
Exactly....the shave and haircut is what could get pricey though.
If I run into some money.....or if I could barter with the engine guy I know it totally makes sense to do it all in one go.....but if that option fails I'll go with plan A which will still ultimately = fun.

alf44

Reaction score
how bout getting a spare head cheep and practice working on it. clean up the ports a bit-gasket match manifolds, clean up combustion chambers and valve ports any way you can. if you fubar anything you wont be out much cash

alf44

Reaction score
last cylinder head i had worked on was a 2.2 mopar 4 banger, had a valve job and a .006 shave done at a machine shop and total cost was 150.00

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
how bout getting a spare head cheep and practice working on it. clean up the ports a bit-gasket match manifolds, clean up combustion chambers and valve ports any way you can. if you fubar anything you wont be out much cash

last cylinder head i had worked on was a 2.2 mopar 4 banger, had a valve job and a .006 shave done at a machine shop and total cost was 150.00

I'm really hoping I can bribe or barter some machine work from my buddy
Or do it under his supervision at his shop.
I have no garage or basement and I think the missus might get a bit uptight if I start tearing heads apart on our kitchen table. :angry5::icon_blackeye:

alf44

Reaction score
using help from ur buddy is a great idea, wish i had friends like that ;)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
using help from ur buddy is a great idea, wish i had friends like that ;)

He's a really great guy and pretty much everyone just says "here fix this"
I always jump in and he likes that. I'm thinking as long as I had a corner of the shop and didn't disrupt business he might go for the idea.
I'm a quick study too so he just has to get me started.
Before anything starts I'll show up with a case of beer and get his input on the whole project.

alf44

Reaction score
with help and a few bucks and few beers you might get all this done

alf44

Reaction score
i would like to get a spare head but i got a 83 slant with hyd cam. no junk yards around here had that new of a slant. otherwise i would do just that, home head job...

Back