The 225 SSS

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Years ago got a fellow to bend a factory following replacement for my car, instead of 1.7/8ths went to 2.1/4, no cat, and a resonator where the muffler was, just b4 the back tire I asked him to cut it out to the passenger side in front of the back tire. Sounds great, and at top end no restrictions - not that it sees top end anymore. . . I will try and get a sound file to upload. ..

Now that sounds like a cool setup.
And very similar to what I'm thinking.
If I want to really go nuts on the stock appearing look I could go with a set of Dutra Duals painted accordingly but either way I'm thinking 2 1/4" back and possibly exit at the standard locale just to keep the look.

alf44

Reaction score
dutra duels sounds great, seen pics but a bit spendy and you will lose the heat riser valve to warm the intake amd the heated air to the air cleaner

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
i thought the size was 2 1/4 anyways, read that somewhere

So did I actually.....I know it's not a pea shooter 1 7/8" like my Fifth
But I wasn't sure if it's a 2" or 2 1/4" on there right now.

dutra duels sounds great, seen pics but a bit spendy and you will lose the heat riser valve to warm the intake amd the heated air to the air cleaner

Very good point.....
So I guess my next question is are there any benefits to swapping from the stock exhaust manifold??

As you can see I have to do some more research before I actually dig into this.

alf44

Reaction score
now i know 1 way to get around some of those problems. i modified a v8 heat riser stove shield to fit my six and ran the tube to the air cleaner so a person can make/modify a heat stove to solve that. now for the heated intake?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
now i know 1 way to get around some of those problems. i modified a v8 heat riser stove shield to fit my six and ran the tube to the air cleaner so a person can make/modify a heat stove to solve that. now for the heated intake?

I need to find out exactly how restrictive the original exhaust manifold is.
What I wonder is.....is it all that restrictive?
If not it would be ideal just to use it.

alf44

Reaction score
from the manifold back, without a huge increase in power, i think the factory size is fine but the dogleg is a bit pinched off. now if one needs a new system why not use the down pipe then run a straight pipe system all the way to the dogleg, use good pipe from auto store to make a dogleg then finish to your choice of tail pipe style. if you keep all pipe 2 1/4 and your choice of muff i think it would be a good compromise between size, cost, and performance

alf44

Reaction score
with the factory exhaust manifold i think just a clean up of the ports, or gasket matching,would be fine with a modest engine build. i know that you wouldnt want to big of a system as then you might lose to much back pressure and hurt performance

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
from the manifold back, without a huge increase in power, i think the factory size is fine but the dogleg is a bit pinched off. now if one needs a new system why not use the down pipe then run a straight pipe system all the way to the dogleg, use good pipe from auto store to make a dogleg then finish to your choice of tail pipe style. if you keep all pipe 2 1/4 and your choice of muff i think it would be a good compromise between size, cost, and performance

with the factory exhaust manifold i think just a clean up of the ports, or gasket matching,would be fine with a modest engine build. i know that you wouldnt want to big of a system as then you might lose to much back pressure and hurt performance

Thank you for the input Sir....
As I mentioned I have a guy who does beautiful custom exhaust work.
I'll bounce all of these things off him and I'm sure he'll come up with a great compromise solution. I'd love to just keep the stock exhaust manifold and have the benefits of the choke stove and hot air intake. Which would also maintain a stock look.

alf44

Reaction score
question.... is the down pipe and whole system the same size for a 1bbl and 2 bbl carb? i think it is.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
question.... is the down pipe and whole system the same size for a 1bbl and 2 bbl carb? i think it is.

I'd have to investigate that....
I don't know off the top of my head.
It looks to be though....the exhaust manifolds look the same.

alf44

Reaction score
yes they do, was wondering if a 1bbl pipe might be necked down after the donut flange

alf44

Reaction score
my car came with the super 6. then it had a transplant before i got it. then i blew that one and put in a 83 slant hyd cam that came from a truck with a 1 bbl. put on my 2 bbl set up ..still running factory pipes

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There used to be a process called Extrude Honing. It basically pushed a slurry loaded with abrasive particles throught intake/exhaust passages, and in doing so, the abrasive particles would basically hone the interior of the passages on their way through. How much honing was done was dependent on the abrasive particle size and type, and the amount of time that the slurry was passed through the passages. I haven't heard of this for a while, I wonder if it is still being done. If it is, it may be one way of using the factory exhaust manifold, yet getting less restriction.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
my car came with the super 6. then it had a transplant before i got it. then i blew that one and put in a 83 slant hyd cam that came from a truck with a 1 bbl. put on my 2 bbl set up ..still running factory pipes

Amazing how much of a difference the 2bbl setup makes.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There used to be a process called Extrude Honing. It basically pushed a slurry loaded with abrasive particles throught intake/exhaust passages, and in doing so, the abrasive particles would basically hone the interior of the passages on their way through. How much honing was done was dependent on the abrasive particle size and type, and the amount of time that the slurry was passed through the passages. I haven't heard of this for a while, I wonder if it is still being done. If it is, it may be one way of using the factory exhaust manifold, yet getting less restriction.

Kostas

Now that's cool!
I wonder if there is some kind of process available now that would have the same effect while still doing it evenly?

alf44

Reaction score
as far as i know extrude honing is still done, but i read it costd upwards of 500 per manifold, not worth that price for a nearly stock /6

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The good Captain did say that he wanted to keep the intake heat and choke stove. Not possible with headers. Extrude honing is a (abeit expensive) way of getting better flow while retaining all of that.

Kostas

Back