Upgrades

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Or instead of swapping one computer for another, just delete the feedback carburetor, put a non feedback on, and throw the air cleaner back on. The computer will just run the ignition without any input from the carb.

If you're going to change the carb change everything. Itll run better then having the feedback carb missing and there's just as much or more of a chance of the computer not working right.

mopar master

Reaction score
I've got the parts order so now just waiting. Trying to get this radio out. I don't know if they all had this bolt but it's aggravating

IMG_20240212_131445.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It seems to be hit and miss for that security bolt. I've only run across it a couple times but there's a cheap socket you can get for it with the other regular radio removal tools like the Ford wire loops.

LSM360

Reaction score
Ugh, PITA. My '89 AHB had one and I ordered the bit online. I tried without one but it was a no go for me. It was just too darn tight.

mopar master

Reaction score
I got them out today. Orielys didn't have one so I went to the local car audio shop and he let me borrow it. Said it's the first time he had to use it

LSM360

Reaction score
Hey LSM....What does the AHB stand for?
Chrysler's code for Police Package. Shows on fender tag. Middle left "AHB" and second from bottom row, to right "ELE" meaning HD 4bbl. This is my '89. Also eighth character in VIN "S" meaning HD 4 barrel. a "P" would be civi 2 bbl and a "4" would be HD 2 bbl

IMG_5970.jpeg

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
I got them out today. Orielys didn't have one so I went to the local car audio shop and he let me borrow it. Said it's the first time he had to use it
Hard to imagine there was a time in which anyone would want to steal the stock stereos in these lol.. I'm sure you will, but don't put that security bolt back in, just use a hex head.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I can't remember what car I needed them for and what M body had them. I'm pretty sure one was an 88/89. Might have been one of the older years with the equalizer radio.

mopar master

Reaction score
Hard to imagine there was a time in which anyone would want to steal the stock stereos in these lol.. I'm sure you will, but don't put that security bolt back in, just use a hex head.
I'm not. Might save them for when someone makes me mad

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
I remember in the 80s an AMC dealer painting on new cars outside, that the radios had been removed.

mopar master

Reaction score
Parts are in. Probably put it all on tomorrow. Is there anything else I'll need when doing it ?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
What plug wires will I need to ask for.
Depends on if you ordered a mopar style distributor cap or not. If you ordered one with a mopar cap you can use almost any set designed for a mopar small block v8. If you ordered a gm/ford style cap, you'll have to get a gm/ford style set of wires. Or make your own.

If you're keeping the ignition coil under the washer fluid bottle, you'll need that one long wire. Some aftermarket sets don't have it, they only have the short one.

mopar master

Reaction score
Proform 66991: Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit for Chrysler/Mopar Small Blocks 273-360ci - JEGS. This is the one I ordered

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Looks like a regular mopar style cap. Almost any small block mopar set of wires would work. Just watch out for the length of the coil wire.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Any small block cheysler wire set will work. Ive used mopar branded taylor wires and accell. Make sure you get one with the different length coil wires unless you want to move it. I don't like it on the fender myself but at least it keeps it away from heat snd vibration of the engine.

Back