Upgrades

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Maybe someone could bend up an adjustable set?
71efeRyWxyL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
@Fresh Air Inspector did the measurements on his set
IMG_0294.JPG

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Think the ISO takes a massive amount of snap and bump out of the suspension and road feel inside the car. I think it may also have to do with lowering the rear end ride hight to prevent a lever action that can bottom out the suspension when hitting rolling bumps that, throw the rear up the car up and would allow it to crash down heavily otherwise.

Are the AHB shackles just cold bent factory shackles to improve geometry or are they also thicker? Could probably make a jig or buy one of those Machete benders to modify a standard sets.

View attachment 52601
I'm also curious if the slight diagonal of the leaf springs, where the fronts are closer together than the rears, has something to do with the ISO setup

Camtron

Reaction score
From The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

"To reduce road noises and axle vibrations before they can be transferred to the leaf springs." Similar to what it says about the front bushings.

View attachment 52604
That makes sense. After deleting the rear ISO and putting aluminum mounts up front, my car definitely felt more like a stripped down Honda Civic with stiff suspension that’s riding a few inches off the road. Feel absolutely everything; but the improvements in handling at modern speeds make it well worth it overall, for me anyway. All those rubber bits are what give the cars the gentle, soft pitch and roll boat ride that everyone loves so much.
I’d bet FirmFeels big front sway bar and rear sway bar would make the factory ISO suspension feel just right.

Duke5A

Reaction score

Duke5A

Reaction score
Would make sense about the added length

Cutting a few pieces of 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock seems to be easier than sourcing those. Or just buy the kit from FF.

That makes sense. After deleting the rear ISO and putting aluminum mounts up front, my car definitely felt more like a stripped down Honda Civic with stiff suspension that’s riding a few inches off the road. Feel absolutely everything; but the improvements in handling at modern speeds make it well worth it overall, for me anyway. All those rubber bits are what give the cars the gentle, soft pitch and roll boat ride that everyone loves so much.
I’d bet FirmFeels big front sway bar and rear sway bar would make the factory ISO suspension feel just right.

It's ALL in the shock selection. You don't need to be riding on a rubber biscuit. The rubber ISO setup is just going to introduce more deflection as the axle tries to roll forward on the springs. I speak with firsthand experience with this. You can solid mount everything sans the springs and have a better ride with high quality shocks than the factory setup.

Camtron

Reaction score
Cutting a few pieces of 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock seems to be easier than sourcing those. Or just buy the kit from FF.

It's ALL in the shock selection. You don't need to be riding on a rubber biscuit. The rubber ISO setup is just going to introduce more deflection as the axle tries to roll forward on the springs. I speak with firsthand experience with this. You can solid mount everything sans the springs and have a better ride with high quality shocks than the factory setup.
I’m sure; I’m still running the cheap set of KYB gas adjust shocks, lol they’re stiffer front and rear than the front shocks on a Freightliner, Cascadia semi truck…not even kidding.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I’m sure; I’m still running the cheap set of KYB gas adjust shocks, lol they’re stiffer front and rear than the front shocks on a Freightliner, Cascadia semi truck…not even kidding.

I ran those on all four corner for a couple of years. I feel for you. I've got front Bilstein shocks and Edelbrock IAS rears just sitting on the bench if you want them. Better than the KYB shit. To run the Eddies you'll need to switch to B body shocks plates though.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Any particular reason to justify the trouble over using the non-fleet model shackles considering their ease of availability?
Meh. I can't think of much other than if you have an AHB car and can't find the regular hangers and are stuck using the AHB shackles.

There has to be an engineering reason why, but at this point it's probably esoteric. I'm switching over to them for my 8 1/4 swap but only because they came with the axle

Camtron

Reaction score
I ran those on all four corner for a couple of years. I feel for you. I've got front Bilstein shocks and Edelbrock IAS rears just sitting on the bench if you want them. Better than the KYB shit. To run the Eddies you'll need to switch to B body shocks plates though.
I’ll likely take you up on those. It just reopens my first original wound with this car; buying the M-body ISO delete plate kit instead of the b-body kit, lol. Oh well, live and learn.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Had those on my car for a few years and agree. Every little expansion joint jarred the car (felt like no suspension). Swapped them for Monroe and like a whole different Aspen after that.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
There's a thread on that: Chrysler 300c LX Wheels on F body

5x4.5 and 5x114.3 are exactly the same. Not all LX wheels are 5x115. Find a set that's 5x114.3. Don't run 5x115

Here's another thread: Anybody try the 18" metric Charger\Challenger wheels?

Ultimately though, if you decide on spacers and adapters, and you don't make any improvements on wheelbearings or suspension, and decide to strain 40 year old components, you'll end up looking just like this trick sicky dope
537b3f566f467.jpeg

Back