1969 Olds 442

brotherGood

Reaction score
I know, not a Mopar..

Carried this over from here: (New project)

Dug the car out today and got it home. Spent a couple hours cleaning inside and out, found a nest and 3 mice skeletons. Got it in the garage, and the next thing is to hook a battery up to check the electric, put it on stands, and start cleaning. To my surprise, the brakes worked when unloading, but Id rather go through and replace everything anyway.

Also, the block is stripped down. I'm hoping in the next couple weeks I can take it into the machine shop for a sleeve and cleaning, as well as whatever else it may need.

Enjoy the photo dump..

20210502_085756.jpg

20210502_091221.jpg

20210502_091307.jpg

20210502_091332.jpg

20210502_091421.jpg

20210502_093805.jpg

20210502_102650.jpg

SuicideRider

Reaction score
I'll be following your progress. Love molars, but olds are cool too. Got a 01 Aurora 4.0 for the ole lady. Little fwd rocket. Cool 442.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looks real nice,Good luck on the project and keep the updates coming.

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
My God that car's in fantastic shape! Why can't I find those?

PS Do you mind sharing roughly what you paid?

brotherGood

Reaction score
8k, unless you ask the BMV.

I've gotta push it back out of the garage this weekend, stupidly I put it in there and left the block in the back corner.

Once the block is dropped off, I've got roughly 6 weeks to get everything else sorted..so says the wife. She really wants to cruise around in it ASAP

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I think the Cutlass/442 of those years was the best looking of the GM mid-sized cars. While the majority of the body panels were shared with the other GM divisions, the nose and tail treatments were better than the Chevelle, Lemans, or even the Skylark.

Hope the block can be saved. It would be really cool to put a numbers matching car back on the road.

Last edited:

DCAspen

Reaction score
Nice score,any pictures of it washed? Looks real clean.A friend in High School had a white 68 with the stripe on the fenders.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looks great,better than the dirt covered 1st photo.Most people can only dream of the barn find car,you are lucky enough to be living it.Congrats on the find and for what you paid for it you got a great deal.Keep the updates coming and don't rush things to get it done.

Mr C

Reaction score
Nice to see a muscle car looking original and not over restored with ridiculous rims/tires.
Nice find....even though it's Generic Motors. ;)

brotherGood

Reaction score
Got the dry rotted tire replaced yesterday. After that, we pushed it out to allow the block to be moved out of the corner, and pushed the car back in and up on to stands. Verified its a one legger (dangit) and went around checking lights.

With it in the air, and block/heads headed to the shop, it's gonna start getting busy.

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
You got a great deal, I think. See if you can find the old "Doctor Olds" advertisements from back in the day, very colourful. A buddy had a '68 442 just like that. Love those trumpet exhaust tips. That car was fast.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Been a while since this has been updated.

Currently working on finishing the front brakes, installing new booster and master cylinder. At that point, brakes/fuel/light suspension will be done. I've gotta get up under the dash and check out the wiring (mice) as well as change a few bulbs while the wife continues trying to save the headliner (mice "fluids")

I've got about 2 weeks left until I should hear something on the engine, at which point I'll get that and the trans done, and hope to have the car running by August. Lofty goals, but we've made a ton of progress so far.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Razzin frazzin no good varmints........... Heck of a thing how something so small can do so much damage.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Had the rodent problem in my car,smelly bastards,Soap Lysol and hot water really helped.Good luck on the build and keep the updates coming.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Always one of my "favorite" jobs at work is when you get "foul odor from A/C or heater". I've found some pretty gruesome things inside HVAC plenums and the smell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW. How something so small can stink so bad when they decompose........................... That;s how you find the source, just follow your nose. Gag.

brotherGood

Reaction score
That's what my wife did to find the spot in the headliner. I caught a huge wiff when I was up under the car and thought/hoped it was under the seat. Did find a dead mouse and droppings, but that wasn't the only source of smell evidently.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well after a few headaches, I'm down to the waiting game. Finished up the brakes this past week, fixed the lock cylinder, light switch, parking light housing, and dome light along with installing a new steering wheel to replace the cracked up factory wheel.

Put the front end down, also installed a new underhood insulation pad and just have the differential service left before the back end goes down.

Still waiting to hear back from the engine shop, but at this point I think we're gonna clean the heck out of it and push it to the street for the 4th of July car show that is right up the street. IMG_20210623_222115_383.jpgIMG_20210627_150458_939.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
I really like that shot of it in the garage. Did you set the camera to slow shutter speed or did it do it?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I was leaned over on one foot with my hand placement on the phone really weird, then used basic editing tools from Instagram. Didn't change shutter speed or anything like that, just adjusted contrast/sharpness/etc.

Back