1976 Plymouth Volare Wagon Craigslist

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Stumbled across this 76 Volare wagon in Tacoma Washington on Craigslist. Link HERE

Looks decent enough. Idk what wagons go for these days but the $6,000 asking price seems steep to me. Maybe I'm just cheap. 00Y0Y_d8cJgTbFhQEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's high for something that has visible rust on the bumper, needs paint and body work and an interior that doesn't look much better then the outside. Then the whole not running since the 80s thing...

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Come on, thats a roached out POS or parts car. $1500 on a blind day. Look close... looks like its been under water or wet for a long time....

Yes I love them but folks have gotten foolish.

Remember the guy on here who was mad at the world when folks said his 12k wagon was 7k on its best day and six months later reality hit.

Nice cars our F-s but folks will get there heads out of the clouds sooner or later.

This was a nice buy for a wagon guy at 5600..... the one posted here above.... 5900, ha ha.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10-36-42 No Reserve Single-Family-Owned 1978 Dodge Aspen Wagon.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photo's but it looks to have sat outside for at least part of the time since the mid '80's. Would wonder also about the underside. I know from experience a car always looks better in pics than it does in person.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I looked at a Chrysler once that sat since it was about 4 years old in this guys damp garage. The mouse stink and mold inside it was horrrible. Some Metal parts were corroded but the plastics and certain parts of the trim and mechanical stuff looked mint. I made him what was a fair offer based in the condition it was in thinking it would be great for parts. To him it was like a new car that just needed a bit of cleaning. I often wonder what happened to it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My dad's '62 Fury (that he bought brand new) sat for about 15 years in the driveway (concrete) without moving and it went from a decent car (far from mint but not too bad) to rough. The interior came apart, press board headliner about fell out, it leaked water from bad w/stripping and rotted out the front floors and lower 1/4's, not to mention the fuel system needing replaced, etc, etc. As with the interior, the sun baked half the paint off. Went from a car worth maybe $8,000 to $2,800. After he passed away 1 1/2 years ago, I was going to keep it. When I saw how much work, and dollars, was needed just to make it driveable, much less restore it, my brother and I decided to sell it, as hard as that was for us to do. Sometimes sitting idle does way more damage than the miles do.

20220426_175151.jpg

20220827_092616.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Good to know that I'm not a cheap jerk. I was like 6k? Is that the inflation price?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm with XfbodyX. $1,500-$2,000 would be more realistic. A car that's sat idle for 25 or 30 years is going to need a new fuel system, battery, belts, hoses. all the fluids changed, entire brake system gone through and repaired/replaced, new tires, etc, etc, before it could even be driven. Then it's hard telling what problem could show up once it's drivable. All that, plus make, model, trim level, engine, body style and demand figures into the price. Also depends WHERE it was parked. Time does way more damage than miles do. Then there's the question of why it sat so long. Was there a mechaical reason they quit driving it or?

In the end though, a car, or anything else, is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. All depends on how much a person wants it.

Short story. Way back in the early '80's I saw a 72 Barracuda advertised for $100. Seems the bypass hose blew and it died and wouldn't restart, and had been parked over a year. He couldn't figure out what was wrong. Me and a buddy went over to look at it and I handed the guy $100. He gave me keys and the title. We had brought a hose, coolant and a couple other parts along with a battery. Replaced the hose in the parking lot of the sellers apt. building. My buddy cranked it and I saw the coil arcing to the primary. Bolted on the coil we had with us and, it fired right up. It was less thanb20 minutes since the title changef hands. Just then ,the former owner walked out of the building. The look on his face, PRICELESS! Drove the car home.

Last edited:

Autostocks

Reaction score
Come on, thats a roached out POS or parts car. $1500 on a blind day. Look close... looks like its been under water or wet for a long time....

Yes I love them but folks have gotten foolish.

Remember the guy on here who was mad at the world when folks said his 12k wagon was 7k on its best day and six months later reality hit.

Nice cars our F-s but folks will get there heads out of the clouds sooner or later.

This was a nice buy for a wagon guy at 5600..... the one posted here above.... 5900, ha ha.

View attachment 49239
Besides the Aspen you reference, there were three Volare wagons that sold in 2022 on BringATrailer for $7,800, $10,850, and $12,000. These were very, very nice cars. I agree, $6k for that is a joke.

1977 Plymouth Volare Premier Station Wagon
No Reserve: 1978 Plymouth Volare Station Wagon
No Reserve: 1978 Plymouth Volare Station Wagon

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Not saying this is the case with the three you listed but BAT has a extremely bad rep in almost all segments of the car world for there business tactics and shill bidding. I know of two personally that were a mess and other mopar sites tell the same tail and so does google.

But yes there is a certain new segment of F people that are not in the loop on the still super nice cars that sell for fair money, others are new or simply check writers and just do it.

I dont by and sell cars but there has never been a better time to flip F-s then now imo. Still tons of nice cheap ones and lots of buyers with semi thick wallets. Ive two E58 cars id like to dump, not for the money but just to get them gone but honestly not worth the rat race to me and the grief. Id not sell to a guy who has two or three of the same already as some cars need spread around a bit imo.

But looking at the mid 70-s cars of other brands and even some real gems, a (mercury monarch?) can pull more then a F so admittedly im the one a bit out of the loop in some ways. Just hard to grasp some of the cars I paid 2k for in the early 80-s or around long ago are 15-25k cars today.

Like that 36k SC that sold if it really sold for that is very confusing as I watched it sell three times in a year and in its various forms but at 36k it was still only a nice driver with a nice paint job and nothing more and thats strong B body money for a driver with nice new paint. The math dont add up as if a nice driver sold for 36k what would a full on real oem/nos resto be worth? Again the math just dont add up imo.

But it sure is fun to sit back and watch the sharks swim.

Last edited:

Autostocks

Reaction score
Not saying this is the case with the three you listed but BAT has a extremely bad rep in almost all segments of the car world for there business tactics and shill bidding. I know of two personally that were a mess and other mopar sites tell the same tail and so does google.

But yes there is a certain new segment of F people that are not in the loop on the still super nice cars that sell for fair money, others are new or simply check writers and just do it.

I dont by and sell cars but there has never been a better time to flip F-s then now imo. Still tons of nice cheap ones and lots of buyers with semi thick wallets. Ive two E58 cars id like to dump, not for the money but just to get them gone but honestly not worth the rat race to me and the grief. Id not sell to a guy who has two or three of the same already as some cars need spread around a bit imo.

But looking at the mid 70-s cars of other brands and even some real gems, a (mercury monarch?) can pull more then a F so admittedly im the one a bit out of the loop in some ways. Just hard to grasp some of the cars I paid 2k for in the early 80-s or around long ago are 15-25k cars today.

Like that 36k SC that sold if it really sold for that is very confusing as I watched it sell three times in a year and in its various forms but at 36k it was still only a nice driver with a nice paint job and nothing more and thats strong B body money for a driver with nice new paint. The math dont add up as if a nice driver sold for 36k what would a full on real oem/nos resto be worth? Again the math just dont add up imo.

But it sure is fun to sit back and watch the sharks swim.
Understand what you are saying and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have had nothing but good experiences as both buyer and seller on BaT. I'd much rather buy a car that way than deal with the hysterics associated with a Mecum or B-J auction. Having said all that, yes, the $36k SC was indeed a head scratcher. Since I own one, I would love to believe that's what it's really worth!

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think the bring a trailer price is realistic for the one that was being pushed here. Some cars on there go for a lot more then expected but that might also be because they're a lot of people on there with deeper pockets to begin with. I like it for the detailed pictures you don't see anywhere else.

VWagon

Reaction score
agreed. Paid $6,500 range for a relatively rust free survivor /6 '79 Volare Wagon back in 2021

was a fair price for a clean car that needed some tlc to tidy up......A '79 360 swap later and look out !

Back