1977 AMC Hornet AMX on BAT

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I didnt say I never owned one, just wish I never had. But I did put a 85 GT 5.0 and T-5 and the 3:08 rear end in it and it was shockingly quick.

The Can Am was only built in 1977 and only for about half a year. They halted production when the tooling to make the rear spoiler broke and they chose not to fix it.

I really like the AMX posted. I like oddball cars, I've even owned a couple of the Mustang Cobra abortions.View attachment 36207 View attachment 36208

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's Farrah Fawcett on the hood.
LOL, Pretty sure I have my red swimsuit poster of her somewhere yet that and believe it or not, my parents got it for me for my 13th birthday in 1977 IIRC. You know the one, taken where it must have been cold?;)

Doesn't matter what cars of the '70's, they all look great compared to the generic, dull, ugly (with a few exceptions) crap on the car lots now days. Some of them should be painted white with the black decals that say "CAR".

Trey

Reaction score
What's really sad is she died the same day as Michael Jackson and there was almost no mention of her passing. The media chose to glorify a singing pedophile who died from a Propofol overdose and ignored the passing of a beautiful actress who fought cancer for years before finally succumbing to it. Gotta love the MSM.

Anyway... I still have an old poster of Farrah hanging up in my computer room.
farrah.gif

Aspen500

Reaction score
To be totally honest, I always was "in lust" with the short haired Charlie's Angel with the southern type accent.:cool:

To kind of prove my point about old vs new. Some cars from 30 or 40 years ago looked average in their day but if you see one now, suddenly they look good. This morning I saw what I'd guess to be a late '70's Olds full size wagon which appeared to be original and it looked damn good. It wasn't perfect, had a little rust here and there and faded paint but it stood out in the mass of new generic blobs. Every so often I see, of all things, a 1984 Tempo, and it looks brand new yet. Even a car like that will get looks now days where when it was new, it wouldn't even get noticed. Seriously, take a look at most of the newer vehicles. It's like the designers and stylists all died and they left the styling up to a monkey. There are exceptions but they're in the minority. Plus, could we please have colors other than white, silver and beige????????????:rolleyes:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I watch reruns because of those ladies. Not long ago there was an episode of CA that had TR on there, although she didnt really age well, she was super fine then.

38661184462_3000c64ebf_o.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Just changed the tv as i walked through the living room and there was FF pulling up and getting out of her white cobra mustang. I said...hmmm FF in her mustang, my wife said, how did you know that?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just changed the tv as i walked through the living room and there was FF pulling up and getting out of her white cobra mustang. I said...hmmm FF in her mustang, my wife said, how did you know that?
Why wouldn't you know that? You're roughly the same age as me and we grew up watching shows like Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, and Barretta.:cool:

Speaking of, I see a Mustang II Cobra (unsure of year) around here every so often. Looks like it came from a time machine out of the '70's yet. Air shocks in back, Cragar's, M50-15's, side pipes, slapper bars, red painted rear axle, the works. Pretty much what street machine's looked like back then and, there's nothing wrong with that! I also see a '68 or '69 Nova every once in a great while that I remember seeing when I was maybe 12 years old (back in '76) and the car looks exactly the same as it did 40+years ago. Ladder bars, tunnel ram out the hood, Centerline's, glass packs with "45's out the side".................

Trey

Reaction score
In the FWIW department, the cobras that Farrah drove were done by the same outfit that did the AMX the OP posted - Motortown. Ford didn't do the cobra conversions "in house" til '78.

I'd forgotten about Tanya Roberts being in CA. Man she was a looker. I think Cheryl Ladd took Farrah's place on the show in the second or third season. I was in a shop a couple weekends ago browsing through old albums and one of the ones I bought was from K-Tel (remember them?). It had a song on it sung by Cheryl Ladd. Let's just say she's a better actress than singer...

You don't see cobra II's often but they're still out there. I sold our white cobra back in 2014 to a good friend and he drives it a lot. He's made the power tour long haul in it 5 years in a row. Johnny Lightning makes limited production runs of the cars that make the long haul 5 years consecutively. Here's a pic of the one JL did of our old car. My buddy brought it to me a couple weeks ago after he received it from JL. They even duplicated the tag number and the incorrect "A" on the door. The guy I bought the car from years ago duplicated the decals on it in paint and didn't duplicate the "A" correctly when he painted it.

power-tour-cobra.gif

My apologies to the OP for getting so far off topic.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Back to the org. topic, I see the 77 amx sold for 13.500, right in the area of a 76-77 f in that condition might pull on a good day.
It would be cool to have all these cars posted about here in stock form to race for a day, a slow day but still fun imo.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
They were the cars from our teens and twenties so we have a place for them even if nobody else knows what we're talking about. Lol

Back