1979 LeBaron Ignition Control Module

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Fuel pump or rotted line by passenger wheel? Coil?
I'm.guessing since you ruled all that other stuff out you know its already getting power in the right places.

Ele115

Reaction score
You need spark, fuel, and air. It usually wont be the air. Find out which one is missing or not right and it gets a lot easier. That can't be done from here though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
OK, I'll take stab at what the problem was (I assume you mean it runs now?). Distributor rotor contact fell off? Have a feeling I'm not even close though:p

69-

Reaction score
Battery was not the problem.

Not the ballast resister.
Not the voltage regulator.
Not the starter.
Not the ground.
Not the ignition switch.
Not the plug wires.
Not the plugs.

Anybody want to guess the oh so simple solution to my starting issue?

Budw you can’t tell them just yet.

JW

So, we're still guessing here. :cool:

If I read right, it runs now.

I'd suggest no fuel. Gas tank empty.
:rolleyes:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give a couple of hints.
Once the carb got primed, the fuel supply was not (much) of an issue. There was a choke issue - but that had nothing to do with the no crank/no start condition (in which a new battery did not fix).

The car is now running. She sent me a picture today and it appears she is now driving it. Now to get the picture from my phone to here . . .

Hint two: This item is common to all ('76-89) FMJ's - but not necessarily so on other year Mopar's (which eliminates the starter & its relay as well as the fusible links/fuses).
Now I think I hear something being hurled towards me (from Texas) . . .
BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
Was it not all the way in park, so that the Neutral Safety switch prevented things from working?

Ele115

Reaction score
I've seen those big push together connectors on the positive cables cause a lot of problems on the Chryslers in the 70's, B bodies, F Bodies, Cordobas. Even if they don't turn green, you go out there one day and they wont hardly crank and won't jump. I'm old enough to have seen this movie a few dozen times

Ele115

Reaction score
Those are my favorite with new RV owner no-starts...kind. They have them in "D" and they "won't" start or "do anything" or they have the door open and they won't crank

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen those big push together connectors on the positive cables cause a lot of problems on the Chryslers in the 70's, B bodies, F Bodies, Cordobas. Even if they don't turn green, you go out there one day and they wont hardly crank and won't jump. I'm old enough to have seen this movie a few dozen times
Ding, Ding, Ding . . . We have a winner!

Ele115

Reaction score
....I feel her pain. Those were a pain even when they were a few years old.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I'm totally confused now. That connector was found to be the problem before this thread was even started.

From the 15th
No crank, no start, no noise at all .....
- replaced the stater relay and the ballast resistor because ... they were ugly and depressing to look at and I figured one needs a backup ballast resistors (according to BudW and Darthcar)
- stared at the engine a lot
My brother finally found the
problem when I was trying to start it (no success), he started moving lines around and determined the the large white connector from the battery into the wiring harness was not making solid connection even though it was thoroughly connected.
Thank you lord!
At least I can move the car now so I can chainsaw down the oak that died this spring and not hit the car.

Ele115

Reaction score
That was confusing. I think it was found and discussed, but kind of took me a few times reading it. I think they were on the phone and it was sort of hard (at least for me) to get it. After me reading it a few times, it looks like it's running but kind of clear as mud from where I am

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I "believe" she performed a through underhood cleaning and disconnected that large single pin connector as part of that process. I "think" she distorted one (or both) sides of the connector pin(s) in that process, which wouldn't allow current to pass.
That single pin connector can be troublesome at times - but for the most part, it gives little problems.

The car appears to have been sitting for a good length of time before she got it.

The good news is it will now start and run.
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thanks for guessing.
I’m going to say that it was a comedy of errors.

1. White connector was fully seated but not passing current through it. Mucked with that and it started. No electric

2. Lightly cleaned the engine and somehow the corrosion on the choke impeded it’s function. No air

3. While replacing all plug wires and checking plugs I didn’t properly reseat the coil wire. No spark.

4. Pouring gas to prime the carb only works well on a 4 barrel carb if you put the gas in the front two barrels. No gas.

I think the old battery still had life left in it but couldn’t pump enough amps after the first or second crank.

Basically the biggest problem was me.

I would find and fix one thing but dork up something else while fixing it.

This is also my first experience with a 4 barrel carb.

I definitely need to get out of my own way when learning about cars.

JW

Ele115

Reaction score
You did fine. There is no way to learn anything in life if you don't make a few boo boos. People here will help you, as you already found out. I have never met anybody that never made any mistakes. I have met plenty that won't admit they did

Back