1979 Volare wagon

Raff

Reaction score
Work on the wagon continues. I got the front end parts back from the blaster. I pressed out lower control arm bushings and ball joints with minimal fuss. The reassembly was easy and a quick coat of paint had the arms looking good.
IMG_0598.jpg

The upper arms did not go so well. The ball joints weren't too bad. Just a big 3 foot breaker bar and the right socket made removal pretty easy. Installing the new joints was no problem. The passenger side upper arm bushings gave a bit of a fight but eventually surrendered. Installation was just the reverse after a little cleaning up of the pivot shaft. Unfortunately the same cant be said for the drivers side. The nuts on the pivot shaft were really seized. After lots of heat and pounding with the impact the nuts were off but the threads were badly chewed up. The bushings were just as much trouble. After much fighting the arm was apart but the area that the bushing goes onto was so crusty it's essentially unusable. So I'm now in need of a good driver side upper control arm and pivot shaft.

Ball joint persuader
IMG_0599.jpg

the old parts
IMG_0652.jpg

some new stuff

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Passenger side done with sway bar also put back in. Still have to pick up some brake pads and connect the brake line
IMG_0639.jpg

Last edited:

Raff

Reaction score
Wagon update. Transmission is back in. Front suspension is back together. Brakes are done all around. I picked up another pair of torq thrusts for the rear. The list is getting shorter. I still have to bleed the brakes, install the shifter, install the driveshaft, get an alignment and a safety inspection. At that point we should be good to hit the road. As usual my ambition is far greater than my available time so my goal of being done by spring has long since vanished. I’m hoping to have the wagon mobile before the weather turns nasty....maybe...hopefully

4B781FD8-F542-451F-B3E6-663F4B7F67A7.jpeg

Raff

Reaction score
So I got the shifter in, driveshaft in, brakes bled and the wagon is back on the ground. Brakes will need to be bled again. We have about 40 friends and family coming over tomorrow for an annual bbq and pool party. In preparation for that I had strict instructions from the Mrs to get the garage emptied out and cleaned up. We have a sunroom attached to the back of the garage that leads out to the patio so lots of people congregate in the garage.

A rare shot of the wagon on four wheels and a more rare shot of a clean and empty garage.
B76D63AD-D9A8-4A38-A60E-A2BD1FA15B24.jpeg

B49E6790-8F46-4167-BABA-0F128BD9F2FB.jpeg

Raff

Reaction score
Same here, ESPECIALLY the garage!

The pics of your car prove what I've always thought. Torque-Thrusts look good on any car. Please don't take that as a hit on the car itself!:)
No hit taken and you are right about the TQ’s.
Four years ago we looking to buy another house that had a big garage a renovated interior and a decent yard. Couldn’t find a single thing at a $$ I could ever hope to afford. Ended up keeping this place. We redid the entire exterior which was old and tired and we added 1000 square feet onto the existing garage. I got 800 square feet plus the original 300, my wife got 200 at the back for a sunroom/gardening workshop. It cost a lot but still way less than a new place. I’ve done a big chunk of the finish work myself so it’s taking forever. I hope to retire next year and then it’s payback time. My wife says with my newfound freedom I’ll have no problem building her the interior of her dreams while she’s still at work.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Car looks great,has a nice stance,love the garage,enjoy the party.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
A rare shot of the wagon on four wheels and a more rare shot of a clean and empty garage.
b76d63ad-d9a8-4a38-a60e-a2bd1fa15b24-jpeg.jpg
Now THAT is a beautiful wagon!!! (not that I'm biased or anything). I love the TT wheels and blackwalls. Your wagon is so similar to OY except for the slight difference in paint and interior color, the roof rack and of course the wheels. And maybe a very slight difference in horsepower lol. I am planning on replacing the white letter Uniroyals on OY with new blackwalls when I finally get the time to repaint the Road Wheels. I'm also going to remove the ugly black side strips on OY. I have to find the post you made about how you did that again. REALLY nice wagon Raff!! ;)
IMG_20180704_140215157_HDR (1).jpg

VWagon

Reaction score
This was a great thread. I'm working away on a '79 Wagon winter project and this has been good inspiration!

Aspen500

Reaction score
You should start a build thread and, of course, post photo's of the progress. :cool:

Wonder if Raff got his wagon done. He hasn't posted on here for over 2 years now (Nov 2019)

VWagon

Reaction score
I might do that....i prefer message boards to Facebook....not great posting pictures but what the hell

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't even have a FB account anymore. It's too much of a cess pool..........................

What does your wagon have for a power plant?

VWagon

Reaction score
It was a slant and is in the process of being converted to a factory appearing 360 combo. I started a build thread in the project forum with some pics

armataz

Reaction score
nice valare, this was my aspen shortly after I got it. but I took her in a different direction. rather then restoration, I did heavy modification.

IMG_0001.JPG

this is how she is now
000_0015.JPG

Last edited:
Back