B4D60770-AB67-4C9F-BE84-F131516B23F0.jpeg
016AA355-5AB1-478D-8D70-90177E516A03.jpeg
ABB64921-047D-4E52-945B-E34F7E67BEBB.jpeg
1C10F0D2-0103-4FB7-B63F-1C6FA8820879.jpeg
DA9A0410-0B1B-452A-B197-652A02FCE5FE.jpeg
3C70B691-26F7-4462-BCF0-59F68C4D01D6.jpeg
E78F6AC3-620E-4A6C-8E66-6CD3862BBEB1.jpeg
77F5CF60-DBF9-4018-88FF-D4A2356CF21A.jpeg
Managed to spend the last two days hanging out in the garage and got quite a bit done on the wagon.

First I got the carpets shampooed and they turned out surprisingly good. After that you put the front seat back in and gave the interior a bit of a cleaning. All in all looking good after almost 40 years.

Next job was to put the rear and back together and get it back in the car. My original pot has a bad pinion bearing. I picked up a used pot with 3.23 and a sure grip from a friend. He had it under his work bench for years and thinks it’s good. Im hoping its ok. I put it together with new axle seals and brakes and got it installed with a little assistance from my grandson who we were babysitting today.

I couldn’t resist dropping it back on the ground to see how the re-arched springs worked out. The spring shop delivered. 2 1/2 inches lower and it looks way better. I turned down the torsion bars which were cranked up far too high and the whole thing looks good.

Next up is to reconnect the rear brake line and bleed the brakes, put the driveshaft back in and take a test run.

Next up is a complete rebuild of the front end including brakes.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Aghh! You're killing me! What I would give to have an empty, clean garage like yours and the time to work on OY! Your carpet looks like new! You were lucky you didn't have to buy replacement. Your wagon is almost a visual double of OY. The interior is a lighter shade of tan than OY, but the exterior paint is very close. Although I'm not sure, I think it's a shade lighter than the "Classic Cream" that was a '78 only color. Nice job on the rear axle and brakes. Did you add another leaf to the rear springs? I have the 5 leaves in OY, and want to get them re-arched to raise up the rear end a bit. That, and I plan on putting on spring loaded rear shocks too. All in good time I suppose.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Nice wagon!

Some like the weighted down bumpers with the strips and guards, I myself despise them. Lets just make a 70-s crash proof car look more 70-s. In fact on several cars for me its been a deal breaker with the cluttered up bumpers.

From some of the nos bumper strips and the big guards ive got, hard rubber with metal inserts, id bet its a added 20-25 pounds as well on each bumper with the full treatment.

Raff

Reaction score
Aghh! You're killing me! What I would give to have an empty, clean garage like yours and the time to work on OY! Your carpet looks like new! You were lucky you didn't have to buy replacement. Your wagon is almost a visual double of OY. The interior is a lighter shade of tan than OY, but the exterior paint is very close. Although I'm not sure, I think it's a shade lighter than the "Classic Cream" that was a '78 only color. Nice job on the rear axle and brakes. Did you add another leaf to the rear springs? I have the 5 leaves in OY, and want to get them re-arched to raise up the rear end a bit. That, and I plan on putting on spring loaded rear shocks too. All in good time I suppose.
Thanks OY. The springs already had five leaves per side and all of the ISO stuff had been removed when the 8 3/4 was installed. You're right, our wagons are very similar but I think yours is in better shape. As for the garage I'm very lucky. Our house had a basic 18x20 attached garage and I was fortunate enough to be able to remove tHe exterior wall and add on an additional 19x42. I now have a bit more than 1000 sq ft that's insulated, heated and has lots of light and power. Fortunately my wife is a very understanding lady

Raff

Reaction score
Nice wagon!

Some like the weighted down bumpers with the strips and guards, I myself despise them. Lets just make a 70-s crash proof car look more 70-s. In fact on several cars for me its been a deal breaker with the cluttered up bumpers.

From some of the nos bumper strips and the big guards ive got, hard rubber with metal inserts, id bet its a added 20-25 pounds as well on each bumper with the full treatment.
I prefer the plain bumpers as well. Less clutter is good.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The bumpers on the 76-80 F bodies are very heavy by the time you add up the face bar, crash bar and energy absorbers, I'd ballpark 150 lbs. each.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Nothing really to add, but man am I loving this build. Nice car! Can't wait to see further updates.

SixBanger

Reaction score
I do not want to hijack this topic, but have a short question.

But is it possible to remove the rubber strips and, if possible, place them a little neatly? Or to leave out the whole?
With my bumpers is already quite some rottenness between these rubbers. I do not know if it will be tidier then.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Not sure about separating the rubber from the chrome, but the entire chrome vertical "bumperettes" are technically removable (rust could be a challenge). There are small bolt holes behind there so you'll need some chrome capped "bumper bolts" if you want to keep it looking clean.

023013381.jpg

Judging by this back photo of the bumperettes there will be a few oval slots along the leading edge if you pull the rubber off...

aspen-volare-bumper-guards-005-jpg.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I just noticed another minor difference between the '78 and '79. The side molding on your '79 Volare is body color, and it is black on my '78 Aspen. I actually plan on removing it altogether I think. Definitely if I get OY painted in the future.
IMG_20180704_140215157_HDR (1).jpg

Raff

Reaction score
I just noticed another minor difference between the '78 and '79. The side molding on your '79 Volare is body color, and it is black on my '78 Aspen. I actually plan on removing it altogether I think. Definitely if I get OY painted in the future.
View attachment 32703
Removing that side molding is on my list. I'm thinking a heat gun and some gentle prying. Not sure how much adhesive will be left behind and how I'd get rid of that.

SixBanger

Reaction score
Not sure about separating the rubber from the chrome, but the entire chrome vertical "bumperettes" are technically removable (rust could be a challenge). There are small bolt holes behind there so you'll need some chrome capped "bumper bolts" if you want to keep it looking clean.

Many thanks Opticon77, I would try it!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Removing that side molding is on my list. I'm thinking a heat gun and some gentle prying. Not sure how much adhesive will be left behind and how I'd get rid of that.
Heat gun will do it and it will remove the two face tape that holds the molding also. I wouldn't be surprised if the paint is a little deferant color under the molding, as in not faded.

Raff

Reaction score
Heat gun will do it and it will remove the two face tape that holds the molding also. I wouldn't be surprised if the paint is a little deferant color under the molding, as in not faded.
I'll try the heat gun and provide an update on the end result. I'm expecting some paint variation.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
[/QUOTE] I'll try the heat gun and provide an update on the end result. I'm expecting some paint variation.[/QUOTE]

Lol! Ok, you go first! :eek: :D

Last edited:

Raff

Reaction score
Thought it was about time for a wagon update. I haven't got as much done over the winter as I had hoped but that's par for the course. Work and household stuff absorbs most of my time. After I installed the rear end I decided to take the car for a quick run down my street to see if everything was working OK. I did a quick check of the fluids and all were good with the exception of the transmission. I topped it off and headed out. Happily everything appeared great with the exception of the car running a bit rough which I expected considering how long it had been sitting. The next morning I went out to the garage to find all the gear oil I had poured into the transmission was now on the floor. I guess the seals and gaskets have dried up and deteriorated during the last bunch of years. So the car is back on stands and I've just about got the tranny out.
Despite the transmission setback I did manage to get a few things done. I rebuilt the Edelbrock carb, replaced any hoses that looked questionable, installed a new distributor, plugs and wires. The valve covers looked a bit wet so I pulled them off and replaced them with some plain steel ones. The thermostat housing was badly corroded and leaking so I replaced that with a new one and decided to pull the intake and clean up the top of the motor.
I'm also accumulated almost everything for a front end rebuild so I'll be diving into that as well.

Back