FOR SALE 1982 & 1983 Dodge Mirada's - Low Miles, Original Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poncherello

Reaction score
077.JPG

Poncherello

Reaction score
Update: My father found a detail guy who re-dyed the vinyl top and did some work on the hood and trunk of the grey one. I'm told the hood and trunk are better but not perfect. You can see in these pics that the top looks a whole lot better. I have asked him for better pics of the hood and trunk and I'll post those as soon as I get them.

NEW PRICES: $3500. for the Grey one and $2650. for the Yellow one!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have two J bodies, so don't need another, but wanted to comment on the paint/top.

The paint looks more like it is "sunburned" (my term for sun damaged). My 1981 Mirada and 1980 Cordoba also had this, in pretty much way. The sun's rays damage the paint. Wonderful thing is, if the sun damage is not too extensive, or has broken through to the primer, a major improvement in appearance can by had by compounding/polishing the paint, which appears to be what your detailer did. In our cars, the paint is a single stage. so this can be done. In newer cars, it is a two stage (base colour coat and clear coat), so it would call for a repaint.

The vinyl/fabrick top had some stuff on it from sitting outside (stuff is the scientific term). and it looks like your detailer was able to get it out. Looks like he did a good job.

This is a full convertible, isnt't it? Not the "cabriolet top" that the factory made to look like a convertible, but actually had a metal roof underneath.

Poncherello

Reaction score
Correct. It is NOT a convertible. If you know J-bodies, I think you should know there was never a convertible offered. As far as the paint, I know the pics look like sunburn but that is not the case. As I said in my original post, someone spray painted the top surfaces & that black paint is/was flaking off. Underneath that flaking rattle can hack job is the original paint. Our detailer buffed off most of it but it is far from perfect. The rest of the car still wears it’s original paint. Again, I’m waiting on better pics from my father and will post them as soon as I get them. I get it. This is not a super-desirable body style but if you’re in the market, you won’t find one cleaner and more original!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I agree that there were NEVER any FACTORY convertibles. There are, however, a number (i.e. not one offs) of Miradas that have been shown here that are THIRD PARTY conversions.

The reason I thought it was a convertible has very little to do with the top itself, but mostly to do with the trim around the vinyl roof. It is not the same as my 1981 Mirada CMX, which has a similar roof. By that, I am talking about the trim that surrounds the vinyl top, as in the edging and overall shape. On my car, at the top of the windshield, there is a small section that is body coloured. On your car, there is not. It may be a year to year difference, I don't know, as I only have the one 1981 Mirada as a point of reference.

As for the body style, this is a great body style, and while the collector market may not deem it to be "collectible"/"valuable"/"desirable", I certainly do (or I would not have bought one). It is one of the better looking cars of the early 1980s, unless you were into "disco" cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back