1988 5th brake rotor/drum questions

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm doing the brakes on my 89 5th Ave and used partsavatar.ca and got everything I needed for cheaper than I could locally. It also had free shipping which is pretty unheard of for a Canadian company.

Be careful though... they labelled the front calipers as left and right for the same part number, you need one of each part number.

99% that your 88 has a 7.25 rear end in it.
You mean the bleeder screw has to be on the top of the caliper? LOL.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've used partsavatar before and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. My only two complaints is they can be a bit slow shipping and a few times I've made an order and they came back with the item not being in stock.

LSM360

Reaction score
I'm doing the brakes on my 89 5th Ave and used partsavatar.ca and got everything I needed for cheaper than I could locally. It also had free shipping which is pretty unheard of for a Canadian company.

Be careful though... they labelled the front calipers as left and right for the same part number, you need one of each part number.

99% that your 88 has a 7.25 rear end in it.
For me with my AHB the problem wasn't finding the parts or good price (Rockauto had everything), it was the quality. EVERYTHING seemed to be made in China regardless of the brand and was junk. It was not always this way. I hope this site is still good.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
Any defective parts I got from Rock were replaced at no shipping cost to me.
The drum can get smacked out of round in shipping. I alert them to that when it happens, and they have always bubble wrapped the replacement drum box and then put it in another "large" box.
And they have always shipped the new parts out before actually receiving the bad part. They ship the new part as soon as they get the return tracking number when I drop off the bad part at the shipper to return it.
Rotors, that's a different problem all together. They can and sometimes do come out of tolerance. Rock has always made good on those to. I put the rotors on the car and check the lateral run out and thickness deviation before I mount the calipers.
Parts quality is so suspect now regardless of the parts source, that I always go through the calipers, wheel cylinders, master and install new hoses before installing the pads, shoes, drum and rotors.
It's been a long time since I burned up a drum or rotor.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Any defective parts I got from Rock were replaced at no shipping cost to me.
The drum can get smacked out of round in shipping. I alert them to that when it happens, and they have always bubble wrapped the replacement drum box and then put it in another "large" box.
And they have always shipped the new parts out before actually receiving the bad part. They ship the new part as soon as they get the return tracking number when I drop off the bad part at the shipper to return it.
Rotors, that's a different problem all together. They can and sometimes do come out of tolerance. Rock has always made good on those to. I put the rotors on the car and check the lateral run out and thickness deviation before I mount the calipers.
Parts quality is so suspect now regardless of the parts source, that I always go through the calipers, wheel cylinders, master and install new hoses before installing the pads, shoes, drum and rotors.
It's been a long time since I burned up a drum or rotor.

Buying Chinese parts is like being a heroin addict. People are constantly chasing that saving money high because it feels good while ruining their lives in the long run. No one is really saving money by sending money to Commies. They end up worse off in the long run.

Unless it's a daily driver and someone is on a budget just squeaking by, paying alimony and child support so some one ton Tonya can live her trailer park dreams, china parts should be avoided at all costs

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Don't forget Rock auto sells everything from cheap Chiwanese stuff to OEM. Even good can be a dud or get shipping damage.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
Buying Chinese parts is like being a heroin addict. People are constantly chasing that saving money high because it feels good while ruining their lives in the long run. No one is really saving money by sending money to Commies. They end up worse off in the long run.

Unless it's a daily driver and someone is on a budget just squeaking by, paying alimony and child support so some one ton Tonya can live her trailer park dreams, china parts should be avoided at all costs

I would like to get everything from the dealer, but I have a dozen cars from a 1964 New Yorker to a 1987 Fifth Avenue and the parts aren't at the dealer anymore. I drive all these cars.
Success with the parts seems to be careful inspection and adjustment before install. I now see them not as ready to go parts, but part kits. Alter and modify as needed.

LSM360

Reaction score

So true!

Back