1988 Plymouth Caravelle (Grand Fury)

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello All,
Glad to finally find a forum that caters to M bodies. Mine is a low mileage (142K km / ~88K mi), AHB code (police package), that was sitting in storage for more than 10 years. Mileage appears to be genuine and the car is virtually rust free with original paint on all surfaces except drivers front fender / hood. I assume a minor shunt that left the sub frame and inner fender untouched. Car has the 5.2L (318 w/roller lifters), V8 with a two barrel, 904 automatic and 2.94:1 open rear axle. Picture below (Note, I have a set of the correct stainless steel hub caps with the ventilation holes).

I believe the car was used by a detective as it doesn't have a certified speedometer, external markings or a four barrel carburettor. It does have some unusual options, fender top turn signals, tilt steering wheel, tinted glass and power outside rear view mirrors (both), along with the usual AHB body and suspension upgrades.

The plan is to turn the car into a sort of 'sleeper'. Engine will have ~300HP when finished backed up with a stock torque converter, 4 speed overdrive automatic (type 46RH), and a 3:54:1 SureGrip rear axle. I'm 1 year into the project and have collected the majority of the parts but still need to chase down a few big ones; camshaft, automatic and rear axle bits. Hopefully a year from now the car will be ready. Fingers crossed. :)

Thank you and take care,
PK

Insurance - 1.JPG

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Looks nice!
For some reason Canadian ones didn't say Certified on the speedometer.
The fender top turn signals weren't around past 80 or 81ish so they were added. 88 and 89 had power mirrors, I'm not sure if you could get them in those years without them?

DCAspen

Reaction score
No US made 80 F body had fender blinkers but Canadian 80’s did.I’ve had multiple US 80s and they don’t even have the wires to add fender blinkers

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello All,
LSM360 - thanks for the AHB correction, I'll also correct by signature - blonde moment. :) The rest of you - thanks for the compliments and details on the differences between US and Canadian vehicles. Interesting stuff.

Forgot to add that the car also has tinted glass.

Sub03

Reaction score
Love the clean look. Keep the pictures coming.

Duke5A

Reaction score
If you need help with the OD install more than a few of us here have done it.

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello All,

A few of you requested more pictures. No engine pictures - it is absolutely filthy having sat in a barn for ~11 years. I added 6 pictures (hope the server allows it), including one of the proper dog dish hub caps I just bought.

Please bear in mind this is a long term project and I'm making MANY changes. For example, I removed the complete interior to add heat / sound insulation, carpet, headliner, seat belts (incl. rear outboard shoulder belts), new stereo, keyless entry / power door locks, power windows and bucket seats. I haven't even started on the suspension or drive train. However, I have collected most of the suspension bits and some of the engine modification bits. Still need to track down 46RH gearbox (Duke5A, thanks for the heads up :), but I just found a guy with a new 3.55 gear set (USA Standard), and a new limited slip diff (Yukon Gear). Not cheap but used stuff is always a big gamble.

If you have any questions, you know where to find me.

Insurance - 2.JPG

Insurance - 3.JPG

Insurance - 4.JPG

Insurance - 5.JPG

Insurance - 6.JPG

Hub Caps.jpeg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Hello All,

A few of you requested more pictures. No engine pictures - it is absolutely filthy having sat in a barn for ~11 years. I added 6 pictures (hope the server allows it), including one of the proper dog dish hub caps I just bought.

Please bear in mind this is a long term project and I'm making MANY changes. For example, I removed the complete interior to add heat / sound insulation, carpet, headliner, seat belts (incl. rear outboard shoulder belts), new stereo, keyless entry / power door locks, power windows and bucket seats. I haven't even started on the suspension or drive train. However, I have collected most of the suspension bits and some of the engine modification bits. Still need to track down 46RH gearbox (Duke5A, thanks for the heads up :), but I just found a guy with a new 3.55 gear set (USA Standard), and a new limited slip diff (Yukon Gear). Not cheap but used stuff is always a big gamble.

If you have any questions, you know where to find me.

View attachment 50769

View attachment 50770

View attachment 50771

View attachment 50772

View attachment 50773

View attachment 50774
Where did you find seat belts? You lucky bastard

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello AMC Diplomat,

I'm adapting a set from a Volvo 940. The fronts will be relatively easy as Volvo uses the seat as an anchor instead of the floor like the M Body. The front bucket seats I pulled from a Jeep Patriot use the same system. Plus the Volvo retractors are small enough to fit inside the M body B post trim panels. The rears will also come from the Volvo 940. The routing will be tricky as the retractors will be floor mounted close to the stock location. The belt will then run between the C pillar trim and the C pillar to the trim panel between the rear window and roof. The upper guide will be exactly the same looking as the stock guide on the B pillar.

I've only done the test fit so far and it looks quite promising. When it is finished I'll update this thread (I'll take lots of pictures), when I'm done. Bear in mind it will be at least a month as I have a number of other items on my 'to do list' that I want to finish before I get to the seat belts.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Hello AMC Diplomat,

I'm adapting a set from a Volvo 940. The fronts will be relatively easy as Volvo uses the seat as an anchor instead of the floor like the M Body. The front bucket seats I pulled from a Jeep Patriot use the same system. Plus the Volvo retractors are small enough to fit inside the M body B post trim panels. The rears will also come from the Volvo 940. The routing will be tricky as the retractors will be floor mounted close to the stock location. The belt will then run between the C pillar trim and the C pillar to the trim panel between the rear window and roof. The upper guide will be exactly the same looking as the stock guide on the B pillar.

I've only done the test fit so far and it looks quite promising. When it is finished I'll update this thread (I'll take lots of pictures), when I'm done. Bear in mind it will be at least a month as I have a number of other items on my 'to do list' that I want to finish before I get to the seat belts.
I found that F and M body seatbelts are "backwards" facing from most other seatbelts. I ended up getting a used set to drive the car and I've been meaning to send the other set out to be rebuilt in the right color. Sounds like you're re-engineering the entire restraint system.

The Patriot seats are the right width? There's a pesky mounting offset on the passenger side because of the catalytic converter hump. The offset is different even between F and early M and later M bodies.

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello AMC Diplomat,

Agree that the M body seat belt set up is a strange one, hence my route to re-engineer the set-up to match my needs. The Jeep seats will fit quite nicely although I will have to raise the drivers side about 1.5" (~38mm), plus ~ 1/2" (13mm), at the front to ensure the seat base provides enough support under the thighs. The passenger side will require the same with the exception of the side above the catalytic converter. The two passenger side rails have about a 2" (5cm), height difference height - I haven't done my test fit of the passenger side as yet but I don't see it as being problematic. There will be enough room between the front buckets to allow for a console - I wanted an automatic floor shifter and arm rest / storage bin / coffee cup holder. :)

The Jeep seats have a front 'mount to mount' distance close to the original bolt holes, the rears are much further back. I will be cutting the existing mounts off the rails, then fabricate and weld on new mounts to align with the existing mounting points.

The Jeep seats have some nice advantages, they are heated (seat and back rest), height adjustable, adjustable backrest (passenger side fully reclines), more fore / aft adjustment than the original 55/45 split front bench and the back is curved to provide even more rear leg room. On the not so good news front, as with most cars manufactured in the past thirty plus years, the colour options are very limited. Typically black or grey so my charcoal grey fronts will not match the silver / blue interior but I can live with it.

BTW, having 'new' belts made up for your car won't be cheap. Be prepared to send ~$200 USD for a decent set of front belts alone. You may even have to send them your existing hardware (retracters, guides, etc.)

Hope it helps.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I agree with all the comments left so far: nice ride, looks like it's in a great shape and diffinitely will make for a solid foundation for anything you choose to build it into.

So having said that, you did mention that a lot of the parts have been sourced...so what do you have in mind as far as suspension, etc?

I ask b/c there are some good aftermarket options available to you know that many of us couldn't even fathom just a few short years ago!!!

Fresh Air Inspector

Reaction score
Hello M_Body_Coupe,

Thank you for the comments. Suspension - I have already sourced Urethane bushings (Energy Suspension), for all the bushings and both motor mounts. Rear sway bar links were a bit of a challenge - had to go with universal ones. Haven't been able to find Urethane components for the rear leaf springs. I'm still undecided on the K Member to body bushings, haven't found Urethane as yet and Aluminium seems too firm.

Having said all that, your feedback / input would be appreciated.

I see you live in Windsor - I grew up there, went through the public school system in Riverside. BTW, do you have any spare M body bits? I'm looking for 15 x 8 wheels, driver's interior sill trim, complete cruiser control system, ash tray assembly (medium blue if possible), map light assembly and passenger rear door tinted glass (weather stripping on mine is damaged).

Looking forward to your reply.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I see you live in Windsor - I grew up there, went through the public school system in Riverside. BTW, do you have any spare M body bits? I'm looking for 15 x 8 wheels, driver's interior sill trim, complete cruiser control system, ash tray assembly (medium blue if possible), map light assembly and passenger rear door tinted glass (weather stripping on mine is damaged).
Back a few years ago I still had some 4 dr. car parts...but since I only have two coupes I only kept stuff that I could use, and pretty specific to the '80 and '81 model years at that.

Back