4-sp Trans-Tunnel Question

Transmissions and Rear Ends

1. Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma Well-Known Member

As I figured, finding an aftermarket F or M body 4-sp tunnel hump isnt going to happen.
    Has anybody used an A, B, or E-body shifter hump? What's the closest fit that will require the least amt of bending, hammering, and cutting?
    Even better would be a "close enough" match from a GM product which, predictably, cost <1/2 of what the Mopar pieces do.
    Thanks,
    Jonny Y

2. 4speedjim

4speedjim Well-Known Member

GM are entirely different. Id get an A body hump from amd. That's the closest your going to find. It doesn't look like theres a big difference with an F tunnel. The 75-76 is perfect if you can get one.

Jonnyuma likes this.
  3. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

4. 4speedjim

There was an f/a tunnel on ebay a week ago. The bottom lip was rotted and missing. It appeared to have been chewed off the car. $275 + ride. No the OD or shifter was not included. First thought was you bought it. If you can find 75-76 hump, its the same as the f/a. Theres a 3/4" rise in the floor where the Cat went for 75-up cars. Pound the Cat bump flat or trim the pre-75 edge of the hump and you still have room to replace the Cat. Or just make a custom shift hump from scraps. After getting this far and thinking about it. I believe it was you that bought the one on ebay. Let us know.

5. Ed Dorey

Ed Dorey Well-Known Member

I'll have an extra 4 speed hump available soon. I'm currently stripping one now.

Kermit likes this.
  6. Jonnyuma

It was not I. $200+ is too rich for me to net a rusty, hacked-up piece just because it's OEM. Well... it ain't original anymore.

I think I'm gonna hang onto the auto in the Lebaron. Both my pickups are manuals and I drive a 13 or 15 speed at work... a 4 or 5-sp in the Lebaron would be cool, but too problematic to mess with at this point, I'd rather source a suitable rear end and get to work putting together a list to freshen-up a fuelie 360 I found the other day. It's a 92 so the electronics should be fairly rudimentary.

Plus I just (2 days ago) dropped off my FE360 at the machine shop to get some work done and I'm converting it to a 390... my wallet is already gonna be smokin' a bit on that one.

The "new" 390 goes in this: 2017-09-27 16.22.52.jpg C'mon... even Mopar guys like a 70s Ford truck (TBH, I was actually looking for a similar P/W when this thing fell into my lap. Like the Lebaron, it was too good to pass up)

7. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

Pm sent

8. 4speedjim

That's a lot quicker easier and cheaper. I don't know what your motivation for the 4 speed was, but a 46rh is an OD that you can bolt in if an extra gear and all those benefits was your desire. You will need to hammer some room in the tunnel, but nothing like going through a standard trans swap.

9. BudW

Personally, I much prefer to perform my own shifting. It is SO MUCH better than letting someone/something else do it for you.
    That said, it is work to convert a car to manual. The A833 (without O/D) is a better unit than the A833 w/OD is – but each has its own tradeoffs.

My recommendation is IF you are going to make the change, then to consider getting a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission. The 6-speeds are still quite pricy, but there is a lot of affordable 5-speeds out there that may work well for a lot of our cars.

Also, Gear Venders makes a kit that bolts onto the rear of a lot of popular transmissions that will give a person overdrive – if that is what you are looking for. That method also requires a bit of sheet metal massaging (ie: hammering) – but is something to think about.

Another thing to consider with a manual transmission swap, is most Chrysler engines made from about ’74 and up – the crankshaft end is not drilled out for the pilot bushing.
    There are some workarounds with that – but not any I recommend.
    BudW

10. 4speedjim

If a tko fell off the truck near by I would be all in. I had my heart set on the Passon 855.

BudW likes this.
  11. Jonnyuma

"I don't know what your motivation for the 4 speed was..."
    Yes you do... because it's BITCHIN'!
    That is all.

4speedjim and BudW like this.
  12. BudW

I have that grouped that into my list of available 5-speeds.