440 In an F Article

F Body General Discussion

1. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

This is a old like 92 article from Rick E.

Im missing a page but will find it and post it as well.

Just DL into your pic viewer and they are easy to read.

Ive never been impressed by Rick E so who knows whats changed since it was written.

58.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

76.jpg

MiradaMegacab and Oldiron440 like this.
  2. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a recommendation for a oil pan but a early 60s C body pan works the best. I had one on at first but some replaced with a Milodon pan for a C body.

I used Hedman 2" headers and the steering column was a bigger problem because the header comes out and down in the same spot the rag joint was located. Rag joint was replaced with a u joint.

3. kkritsilas

kkritsilas Well-Known Member

Interesting that the title says getting a 440 into an F, and the picture shows a J. Not that there is that much different, but you would figure that a Mopar oriented magazine (and an author who is supposed to be a Mopar expert) would have gotten it right.

4. XfbodyX

I think the title was done like that because back them F-s still had a semi popular following, much more then now days and the M@J cars were way less talked about. So to me if the cover said 440 in a F then id be more apt to look vs if it said m or J.

But thats just my thinking.

5. modelmakerinc

modelmakerinc Active Member

20161130_161226.jpg There is a big difference in F to J bodies installing a 440, power brakes are not an option with a 440 in a F body. The J body is a bit wider and puts the valve cover far enough away, with a B block in my Volare there is not enough clearance for a RB even with a small brake booster. 440 in a F. Manual brakes only.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. XfbodyX

power brakes are not an option with a 440 in a F body

Thats crazy talk buddy, the 2 I did had power with zero issues using a non F booster and if youd explore this site you will find several more.

A 440 in a F with power brakes is a no brainer. Id think more then most youd think out of the box. Not a good pic but notice how the edge of the booster fits behind the VC.

78440.jpg

7. modelmakerinc

Ok, you proved me wrong, but the valve cover in my car with 383 barely squeezes by the booster, there is no way to service the valve train with RB and power brakes.

Or am I wrong about that too? Or if I go to a stamped original style valve cover would help.

But the B -Block doesn't give me header fitment issues with the steering.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  8. XfbodyX

I didnt know I had header fitment issues with the steering until now.

No need to get testy H, your a master craftsman with the work on your cars. We all know from the tight BB and hemi mopars in small cars/tight places to the jacked up modern stuff where its a day to change the hard to get to spark plugs, or to get to a simple filter that not all is easy but nearly everything is possible one way or another.

9. modelmakerinc

Not testy at all, I assumed which is my mistake, I appreciate the clarification.

Thank you for the compliment also.

Looking at my engine bay, a raised block will cause me multiple issues. 20191103_125828.jpg 20191103_125847.jpg

10. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

My coment on headers is from 1988 using Ebody headers, at the time there were no swap headers for the Fbody. There may be something that fits now.

11. kkritsilas

kkritsilas Well-Known Member

Not arguing, just asking as I have hopes of one day putting a big block into one of my J bodies.

Aren't the engine compartments pretty much the same for all Fs, Ms, and Js? I know the K members interchange, so they should be fairly close. From what I know (and compared to some here, its not a lot), the major difference on the J is that it is on the F/M 4 body chassis (112" wheelbase vs. 2 door F/M 108" wheelbase). I have never heard of anything about engine compartment sizes varying between the J's, F's. or M's. If I am displaying ignorance, please correct me.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    8T2TOP likes this.
  12. modelmakerinc

I would only venture to guess the Mirada/Cordoba M bodies are wider than the F but I'm surely no expert or have first hand info.