8.25 3.55 sure grip for sale

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Selling the rearend out of Modoba. Gears look good, sure-grip works great, axles splines showing some wear. I'm upgrading to a 8.75 with disc brakes. Brakes are in very good condition, they have about 21,000 miles on them. 250 for the housing 300 complete with brakes. I'm in Akron, Ohio. I think the drums are stock 10" size. but will have to check.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I had to give my last 8.25 away, worthless in my neighborhood.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I think the guy I gave the LS to scrapped it because it was the wrong spine for his needs.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of how the axles look and possibly the ring gear/carrier?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You want me to take it back apart? When I get some time.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Even if it were a local sale, most would want to pull an axle and the rear cover since everyones expectations vary. Sorry. Then your probably not interested in shipping it which I understand I wont ship much myself.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In 1996 (or ’97) Chrysler had axle spline change. I think it is 27 spline vs. 29 spline – but don’t quote me on the spline count number. For non-limited slip differentials – it wasn’t a problem for a person can get the correct spline spider gears (side gears) and you are good if something needed replaced – but that is not something you can do with limited slip differentials.

I have gotten to the point that I won’t rebuild a rear differential for a friend or myself, without installing a limited slip at same time – for “open” differentials just don’t cut it anymore.

The ring and pinion gear set (without the carrier – or part the ring gear bolts too) is the same on rear 8¼” differentials from ’68 to present (if they are still using them). They are different on front differentials (used on 4*4 pickups and Dakotas).

Chrysler also has 8¾”, 9¼” and 9¾” (Dana 60) front differentials – which all are a reverse of the rear differentials – so if looking at used parts, always look at the gear tooth direction before buying.

I have a spare 8¼” – but even with that, I’m on the lookout for a pair of 8¾” housings.

Note: stored differentials are like stored manual transmissions – a person needs to rotate the gears every so often to keep everything lubricated – otherwise rust will appear on gears and/or on bearings, neither is not a good thing.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The original poster said:
Selling the rearend out of Modoba. Gears look good, sure-grip works great, axles splines showing some wear. I'm upgrading to a 8.75 with disc brakes. Brakes are in very good condition, they have about 21,000 miles on them. 250 for the housing 300 complete with brakes. I'm in Akron, Ohio. I think the drums are stock 10" size. but will have to check.
There is no mention of if his original differential is 7¼” or 8¼” – but everyone is assuming it is an 8¼”.

Not very many limited slips were made for any 7¼” either from Chrysler or aftermarket – so again, I would assume it to be an 8¼” because it has a limited slip (he does mention sure-grip).

On a different note, almost all FMJ’s came with 10” rear brakes.
Only Police, Taxi and “some” towing package cars (not very many) came with 11” drum brakes. I would say (but no numbers to back this up) that only about 1% of all FMJ vehicles came with 11” drums, and that number may be on the high side - Maybe closer to ½ of 1%.

11” drum brakes will fit on either differential (and even the 8¾” that Original Poster is planning on using - but he said disk's) – but it looks really out of balance when you look at a 7¼” with 11”s (big brakes . . . tiny differential).
The factory did not make any 7¼” with 11” brakes for, I think, the factory was thinking if you need the bigger brakes, you also need the bigger gears (I shrug).

The only thing not answered, is if his differential is a 7¼” or a 8¼” – and it sounds like we won’t find out until spring.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Bud the title of the thread is 8.25 3.55 sure grip for sale. I'm pretty sure that it is a 8 1/4.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Just an fyi, there rear still looks good, not a rusty hulk. I stripped it to bare metal and painted it when I put it in the car.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I still have the original rear with the 2.21 gears and those axles are perfect, only have 68,000 miles on them with the original 135 hp 318. Whoever buys it can have both. Both rearends, not the engine, it's long gone.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I will take it if you will ship it or give me some time to find a mopar person to grab it and ship it.

Back