8 3/4 specs

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I'm about to start building this 8 3/4 rear end with a 489 case oh, I am going to go with a crush sleeve Eliminator kit + 1350 yoke...

I am looking for the assembly specs with old bearings as well as new bearings....

Last edited:

Davesmopar

Reaction score
l looked at the ring gear last night don't see anything wrong with it, but it does have a 1973 date code on it. Now when I try to turn the yoke a little bit of a rust came out from the pinion seal area so I think I've obviously have a front pinion bearing gone

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If your front pinion bearing had gone out, there would be noticeable up/down play on the differential yoke (no matter the size or who made the differential). Usually when this happens, there is also noticeable recent leakage from the pinion seal.

Some rust in that area doesn’t mean much.
BudW

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I don't think the bearings bad as far as being loose I think it's bad when it's been sitting out in the open and just got water in it and rusted.

I pulled this thing out of a personal junk yards probably been sitting out in the open elements for 15 + years.

Does anybody have specs?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These are from my 1970 Chrysler FSM (Factory Service Manual), for 489 case

Pinion Bearing Pre-Load Torque (Seal Removed) – 20-35 Inch-pounds (new bearings). Old bearings are “10 Inch-pounds over the original” – whatever that means exactly. Note: this reading can only be accurate, if differential is in an upright position (per the FSM).
Ring Gear Runout – 0.005” max.
Differential Case Runout – 0.003” max
Ring Gear Back Lash – 0.006 to 0.008”
Side Gear Clearance (with Gauge) – 0.001 to 0.012”
Wheel Bearing End Play – 0.008” to 0.018”

Lube Capacity- 4.4 Pints of 90w (additive might be needed depending on Limited-Slip, if applicable).

Bolt Torque:
Differential Bearing Cap – 90 foot-pounds
Ring Gear (Left Hand Thread) – 55 foot-pounds
Side Bearing Adjuster Lock Bolt – 15-20 foot-pounds
Pinion Flange Nut – 170 foot-pounds (Min)
Carrier to Housing – 45 foot-pounds
Axle Shaft Retainer – 35 foot-pounds
Propeller Shaft – 15 foot-pounds
Spring Clip (U-Bolts) – 45 foot-pounds
Lug Nuts – 65 foot-pounds
Shock Nuts (Lower) – 50 foot-pounds (if using the older style shock plates (which is a huge improvement over the ISO-Clamp system that FMJ's all use).

All of the above data is from my '70 Chrysler (C-body) FSM.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Note: If there are any rust pitting on the ring or pinion gear set – the differential will make noise above what one normally makes. The severity of noise will be equal to the extent of rust pitting.
There is nothing wrong with using a rusty ring/pinion gear set – if you understand that noise might be an issue.

Rusty bearings are a different issue. Always change all bearings if there are any signs of rust, pitting, discoloration or streaks on bearings or races. Bearings are relatively cheap to replace. A small defect in a bearing will snowball to a big problem in no time, damaging the other bearings just as quick (from metal flacking off original bearing).

My last thought is I will not reuse a non-Limited Slip carrier/case on a personal rebuild or for any of my friends/family. The only thing a non-Limited Slip carrier/case is good for is a door stop or boat anchor.

Nothing wrong with using a used Limited Slip – for most can be rebuilt (but not all).
BudW

Davesmopar

Reaction score
Now that is what I was looking for, thank you very much. The third member has a Borg Warner spin resistant cone Style Sure Grip unit, which from what I understand is not rebuildable

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
For the 8¾” differential, there are four different limited slip versions:
The Clutch-type. When the differential side gears are in use (on turns or when tires slip), the side gear shafts push against and slide on the “V” groves, which engage the clutches. The more slippage, the more pressure engaged to disks.
8.75 Clutch LS.jpg

The Cone-type (what you have). This one is made by Auburn, but yours will be similar. It uses springs to push the cones into the case iron case.
8.75 Cone LS.jpg

Eaton Tru-Trac. It uses a series of gears to provide the locking.
8.75 TruTrac LS.jpg

The “open” differential and not worth reinstalling into any vehicle (ie: NO limited slip).
8.25 Open Carrier.jpg

8¼” and 7¼” limited slip differentials are similar but not look exact. The “V” or the springs will be the same, though. Unless a recent changed, the Eaton Tru-Trac is not available for FMJ’s (which is a shame).

All FMJ’s that had a factory limited slip installed are of the Cone-type.

The Cone-type and Eaton Tru-Trac can use normal lube. The Clutch-type needs a friction modifier added to the diff lube or you will have clutch chatter every turn you take.

Nothing wrong with using a Cone-type carrier – just as long as it is holding. If it is shot, then someone has a new doorstop or boat anchor. When both rear wheels are off ground (and car is in park), take either rear tire and turn it. The tire shouldn’t turn or can if you take excessive measures to do so.
BudW

Gator

Reaction score
The cone style carriers are rebuildable dr diff sells shim kits for them ,they have to be machined down .03 down .I just had a 489 cone style rebuilt buy my machinist there's also a thread on abodies about how to rebuild them..great info guys

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
For a hi-powered engine, big tires, and track work; it is recommended to run the 4-spider clutch-type, to go with that 1350 yoke.
On the street I don't think it matters, unless you can make it hook.
I have heard of but seldom seen the cone-types shatter the twin-spiders.

Back