81 lebaron stalling

furyfrank

Reaction score
Car was running fine a couple of days ago then it started with this problem the car runs for about 30 seconds then stalls if you let it sit 30 seconds it will start and then after 30 seconds stalls it will continue to do this any ideas ?:icon_rolleyes:

9secRR

Reaction score
have you looked at the fuel filter? rubber fuel line collapsed? something in the fuel bowl? needle and seat dirty? got good spark? coil good? cap and rotor clean?

this should keep you busy for a few minutes!!

furyfrank

Reaction score
Replaced the fuel filter,it seems like it gets gas when cranking but not enough to keep it running for a period of time. Blew out the line to the gas tank. To me it is like the floats in the carb or the needle valve is stuck. tomorrow I am going to try and pour gas into the carb to see if it keeps running.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I had a similar problem... As others have suggested, it clearly sounds like a fuel-delivery issue. In my case, the pickup-screen in my fuel tank was totally clogged with gasoline that had turned to varnish.

furyfrank

Reaction score
I had a similar problem... As others have suggested, it clearly sounds like a fuel-delivery issue. In my case, the pickup-screen in my fuel tank was totally clogged with gasoline that had turned to varnish.
I disconnected the fuel line from the pump and blew compressed air thru it and it seemed clean.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Pump to carb is a pretty short trip.
Tank to pump leaves a lot of real estate.
One thing that comes to mind is.....did you fill up before it started acting like this? Water in the gas maybe?....

Did you pop the air cleaner and pump the gas to see if it's actually squirting into the carb?
Choke sticking closed?
Vacuum leak anywhere?
Adequate spark?....cracked distributor cap or worn rotor?

The one nice thing about these engines is the simplicity of them. Air, fuel, spark.....If it's not a simple case of you getting a crappy batch of gas then it's gotta be one of those three.

Last edited:

furyfrank

Reaction score
Just to ad to this weird problem, when starting it a few times it ran but almost died but kept on running, when I put my foot on the gas pedal it died. After a few seconds it started up but ran for about 30 seconds.

furyfrank

Reaction score
A update on problem, took the line from the gas tank to the filter and used a vacuum pump and it pulled gas up also took the pump and pushed gas to the carb. Try to start car and ran for about 20 seconds did this about 4 times. Took the line off the fuel filter which goes back to the gas tank and there was no gas in it. So I am thinking either the fuel pump or the line going back to the tank has a opening and causing gas to go back to tank, don't se any wet spots on the ground.:icon_rolleyes::drunken_smilie:

furyfrank

Reaction score
I thought I would update what is happening, like I said the car would run for 30 seconds or a little bit more then stall. So over the weekend I remembered I had a electric fuel pump ( I thought it was the fuel pump so I bought one ). Connected the fuel pump up to the tank and got gas up then I took the pump and connected to the line going to the carb and ran it and gas came out of the carb. reconnected everything with a plastic filter that I could see gas going to the carb and the car ran fine took it around the neighborhood and it ran just fine, so I am thinking because it sat for a while that either something in the carb got stuck. You have to understand I am Polish and when you tell me certain things I have to try my way.

Back