82 Gran Fury Radio replacement.

JBFury

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a compatible am/fm radio - cassette deck to replace mine which has a non-working 8-track. At least I think it's non working. I can hear the belt turning but get no sound from the speakers. The tapes I'm using are in pretty good shape to boot. Any ideas or knowledge of where I could locate a working player would be welcome.

Camtron

Reaction score
I grabbed a replacement out of a 98 Cherokee.
direct replacement with the added bonus of a CD player. Cost $40 to pull at a local junk yard.

image.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
There’s new replacements available on the market too but, they’re all over $150-$300 for the most part.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I run those tape/cd radios too.
Anything chrysler from the late 70s to early 2000s that's that size radio with one tab on the bottom and one on the side will fit but if 82 still uses the old style wiring and not the two flat plugs you've got some rewiring to do to make it work. If you do have the two flat plugs all those 80s and 90s are direct swap.

Kramer79

Reaction score
If you get one that looks the part, and maybe has a working clock, the Bluetooth amplifiers that work off phones, are real affordable and small. Happy to walk anyone through the process. Have not done it on the wagon, but my last couple projects…

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...the Bluetooth amplifiers that work off phones, are real affordable and small. Happy to walk anyone through the process. Have not done it on the wagon, but my last couple projects…
You bet, sign me up for that.

I have a nice Infinity unit still sitting in a box, was going to toss that into my coupe but I've been holding off wanting to somehow "upgrade" to give the radio at least the ability to pull something off of my phone. Sounds like what you are talking about maybe does that trick?

Kramer79

Reaction score
Correct. I included a link below of just the first one I pulled up on Amazon…not sure if the link will work. In my former 69 beetle I kept the stock radio for the original look, then used an small amplifier and wired it to the speakers. Then your phone controls songs and volume etc. So with some measurements you could run the stock speaker wires to the amp, hide the amp in the dash, and then use the phone. Or hook up the radio to the amp and make use of both, then you may need a wired or unwired remote to swap between the inputs. I can look more into them and see what goods one are out there…

Nobsound Lepy Hi-Fi Stereo Multimedia 4-Channel 180w (45W x 4) Bluetooth Power Amplifier Audio Amp Booster USB SD DVD CD FM MP3 for Car Vehicle Home Booster Remote Control & LED Display Screen Amazon product ASIN B075QFRY2Y

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I use an fm transmitter for my iPod. One $10 thing that works for whatever I'm driving. There used to be instructions floating around for how to add an input jack to stock mopar radios also.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I installed a brand new Pioneer deck into my car last year. Was only $50 and it does Bluetooth, CD, aux input and USB input. Really can't beat it. Old cars with only one plug though will need to a separate ground wire to each speaker though to run a modern radio deck.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
your best bet is indeed that Jeep radio Camtron suggested. plug and play really and can be found in nearly any scrapyard. for bluetooth you can pick up a transmitter at walmart or amazon that plugs into the cigarette lighter. if your radio happens to have a working tape deck you can also buy a cassette aux adaptor. Chrysler radios from 80-2005 are all compatible afais.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler radios from 80-2005 are all compatible afais.
Close - but not quite. A few notes on what to look for. It is not too hard to adapt an older vehicle to use the "two flat plug" wiring with a bit of re-wiring on the car. I love the "two flat plug" pigtail design and it is a mostly universal (for Chrysler) for a long time.
Radio Pigtails.png

Radio Back.jpg

But there is an even bigger issue with interchange (ie: fitment).
This is the format that fits FMJ's:
Chry CD Radio.jpg

The key is to remember this part over most anything else!
Other attachment designs are:
2000 Chry Radio.png

2000 Jeep Radio.jpg

Both of the above are the same size/shape - but mounting points will not allow it to fit (without a lot of modification).
The new designs attach using 4 fasteners:
2000 Chry Radio.jpg

I call this the 4 fastener Square design.
Rounded Corner Radio.jpg

And this the rounded corner design.
Both of the above radios use different wiring pigtails and require a lot of modification to fit.

The good news is Most of the Chrysler radios from early/mid '70's to ~'00 will fit fine (with the fact of the '70's having different pigtails).
BudW

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Guys,

Hopefully this helps out someone...but I had converted the factory wiring harness in my 1980 coupe to the recetangular plug so that I can hook up the Infiniti radio.

Take a look at the attached docs...one is a generic wire/connector plug mapper, the other are hand sketches of how these mapped out to my 1980 specific factory wiring plug (the square one).

MOPAR - Radio Connector Pin Layout - New Black and Gray Connector Mapping to OLD Mopar Connector.jpg

MOPAR - Radio Connector Pin Layout - New Black and Gray Connector.jpg

MOPAR - Radio Connector Pin Layout - OLD Mopar Connector.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
You guys are so lucky to have real junkyards. There is nothing older than 2009 in the ones here. They have 3 sections: Volkswanker, Hyundai/Chia, and Ford Cop cars.

I did get a mint 90 something Dakota CD stereo for one of my Diplomats at the Flea market for under 50 and love it. The stock speakers sound fine since I have 5% hearing in one ear, deaf in the other and tinnitus like you couldn't imagine

Back