mopops

Reaction score
need to paint steering column my int is a dark blue any help finding paint code
tks

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to get the correct paint codes is via a factory Service Manual (in the body section). I don't have that year service manual, or I would give you the numbers. I do have a '84 FSM (which is hiding from me) and a '86 FSM (which is at work and can't get to). My '77 FSM is digital.

Note: my experience says that about 1/4th of the paint codes change every year (or about 3/4th of paint codes remain the same each year), over the previous or next model year. Why I'm saying this is if you have access to a '81 or '83 FSM, there is a (roughly) 75% chance the paint codes will be correct, but if you only have a '80 or '84 FSM, then maybe a 50% of getting the correct code (which is not good). Getting the wrong paint is expensive and does no one any good - so always best to get correct data before ordering paint.
BudW

These are two pages from my '77 FSM (as a reference):

Attachments

• 77 FSM pg 21-162.pdf
    265.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 77 FSM pg 21-163.pdf
    265.3 KB · Views: 258

mopops

Reaction score
i have the body plate, out side is vw3 white i dont know where the in side code is on the plate-dash ,carpets, column are all dark blue ( the color i need)-seats white head liner ivory. i got a column from an earlier car -wire plugs are different so its gonna take a while for me to deal with this tks again bud

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The inside paint colors (codes) are not listed anywhere in car but on the paper build sheet - which very few FMJ's have inside. The only place the paint codes are, that I know of, is in the FSM (Body, then Paint section).
A person needs to find a '82 FSM (Factory Service Manual), to get the correct paint codes.

Chrysler liked to change the electrical connector plug-ins, for the steering column, every couple of years - and not sure why. In some cases, the connectors can be taken apart and wired back into the correct connector. Other cases, the metal pins are made differently and only thing that can be done is to cut off and re-solder the correct one(s) back on OR find the correct switch (from old column or new) and install. If you have to replace switches, the plastic part of connector WILL NOT fit through the column.
There is a number of things you can do about this and if you want to know, write back and I can post instructions here or in private conversations.

If painting the column, it is best to have the column apart for it gives the best paint job, and that requires all of the switches to be removed. Having a FSM close by can be very helpful for that.
It also helps to have a clear and decent sized work bench to use. It also helps to have a old towel, blanket or something on top of bench when re-assembling the column to protect the paint.
Also, have a handful of Ziploc snack baggies (or something) handy to bag/tag your fasteners AND take lots of photos!
I have been inside of hundreds of Chrysler steering columns over the years - and even then I start to question what screws go where.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
One really needs to get a '82 FSM to get the correct paint codes.
The SC9 would be an exterior paint code.

The interior code would be more like (or similar to) "ab7kb7" (I doubt it would be this - just using this as an example).

mopops

Reaction score
no paint codes that i have found are on the body plate, but i found a spray paint in walmart that is very very close ,so will use till i get this figuered out thanks for the help gjg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The seat color/type code will be on the fender plate (the four digit code - orange circle), the exterior paint (upper and lower, if different - red circle) and interior paint cold (pink line, and in this case NONE or doesn't apply).
Paint.jpg

There is noting on this, or the VIN sticker on door, that mentions anything about the steering column(or upper dash) paint color.

The only place you will find it is in the FSM, under paint.
Screenshot 2021-10-15 212324.png

This page is from my '77 FSM, so colors will not match.

I am not aware of any other location for these paint color codes.
If you don't have a '82 FSM, maybe someone here might have one to get those numbers for you.
BudW

mopops

Reaction score
pink line on my plate E44 HLCW for seat color VW3 for body color . I bought a can of rust-oleum classic navy in satin this is very very close, for me its a done deal. i am gonna try the dealer and an albert kemperal body paint store hopefully this wk n will let you know gjg

Back