82 Mirada Vert - DOA

johnnyride

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well, my "new" 1982 Dodge Mirada convertible arrived today, and it's DOA. It's a mess and would be a bear to rebuild. It looks like I'll grab all the spare parts I can and leave it at that, which was the original plan anyway. Frame is rusted, trunk full of water, just a shame. It was a nice car, with white leather. I think I can save those, but they will need redoing. Maybe for my vert. Rest of interior is moldy, but not bad. It would be easier to just transfer the parts and cut up another car. This was the only 82 J body convertible I knew of. The elements claim another victim.

RIP.jpg

CMX360

Reaction score
Thats a shame. Doesn't look all that bad in the picture but I guess as any car guy knows pictures are good at lying. Too bad they are not worth a little more. You could cut frame rails and a trunk floor out of a clean/cheap fifth ave.

johnnyride

Reaction score
It's one of those things where if money was no object or the Overhaulin' guys grabbed it, it could be fixed. But that would be 5 times more than it's worth. It will cost less to carefully remove the components and cut up a car. Or, keep the parts for me in case I need extras down the road.

Too bad, the elements and an uneducated owner killed it. And the car even had a folder of past work in the car. Can you believe that. Wet, but there....

Hey, does anyone in the Albany, NY area need a set of Mirada fenders? Driver side is nice. Passenger has a small rust spot and a little crease near the upper part of the door.

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score
Well, I'm taking the car apart and I'm glad I decided to take it apart. There are holes everywhere and the front seat is broken at the base. You guys are going to laugh, but when I went to take out the front seats, I didn't realize you have to remove them from under the car. That's a bit of a challenge with it sitting on the ground. Guess I get to jack it up and block it higher.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Aw,,,,,,,dude , don't scrap it . Sleep on it , dream on it . Squint your eyes a little ,,,,, can't you see a big block tunnel ram sticking through the hood and a set of 18'' fatties out back ? :protest::protest::protest::protest:

johnnyride

Reaction score
Aw,,,,,,,dude , don't scrap it . Sleep on it , dream on it . Squint your eyes a little ,,,,, can't you see a big block tunnel ram sticking through the hood and a set of 18'' fatties out back ? :protest::protest::protest::protest:

If money were no object, I'd fix her. But there are just two many issues. The elements killed her. Perhaps another J Body will get the Convertible. With the rear seats out, I can better see how it's done. I'll take some pics soon.

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score

And a big block would break that thing in half. I can't see what's underneath, but I don't think it's been braced. When it came off the truck, you could see the back half flex and dip at the door edge. I had to jack up the rear driver side and block it to get the driver door to open because it was on an incline.

crayzcuda

Reaction score
That is too bad about that car. Take lots of pics and save as much as you can. I'm still looking for that mag article but in the mean time here's something for ya.

California-Custom-Volare.jpg

johnnyride

Reaction score
That is too bad about that car. Take lots of pics and save as much as you can. I'm still looking for that mag article but in the mean time here's something for ya.

I've seen those California's. I actually almost bought one a few years back. They are odd looking, but pretty cool in my opinion. Not a real convertible though. And I really hope you find that article. Thanks again for looking.

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score
And a big block would break that thing in half. I can't see what's underneath, but I don't think it's been braced. When it came off the truck, you could see the back half flex and dip at the door edge. I had to jack up the rear driver side and block it to get the driver door to open because it was on an incline.

I just checked the bracing on my vert and got under the car on this one. As I suspected, NO BRACING. I doubt it was removed, but you never know.

johnnyride

Reaction score
I just checked the bracing on my vert and got under the car on this one. As I suspected, NO BRACING. I doubt it was removed, but you never know.

OK, I stand corrected. There is bracing. It was just unseen until I could get the car a little higher. Perhaps this was/is an official Global Coach. If so, it was probably one of the last ones. Until perhaps I build a new one someday!

81Mirada

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the bracing on mine. It's welded to the subframes and the cross pieces are bolted on. This car spent most of its life in Columbus NE, then in 2001 went to the Detroit area until I was able to purchase it.

mirada brace.jpg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
well that's not at all what I thought I was gonna see. Looks to me like someone was hotrodding that car . Homade frame connectors with anti-bodytwist bars .

Back