84 5th needs fresh rear bumper

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not able to argue with that measurement (not tried to weigh them) - so no disagreement, if that includes the shocks.

If I recall correctly, my title shows the shipping weight on my (optionless) ’77 wagon is 3,500 odd pounds.
BudW

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
My challenge will be to get rid of the shocks and the excess weight. I guess no one is better than I at putting a car on a diet inconspicuously

Oldiron440

Reaction score
F body bumpers were 5mph bumpers.
All bumpers from 1973 until 1980 or 81 had to be 5mph, President Reagan changed it to 2.5 after he came into office.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The Chrysler bumpers were all very heavy in those years and worked, customers would come in to the shop with the bumper pushed in on one side and we would get the slide hammer out give it a hit and to there amazement the bumper would hiss back out.

Last edited:

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
If you backed into a snow bank and the shock went in, you could throw a tow chain around a tree, hook on the bumper and pull it out again

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Bud, I got the 5th rear bumper off! The drivers "big" shock bolt was super seized, pass side, the bolt came out easy. The bumper + shocks isn't as heavy as I thought it would be. M's are so good in snow so I won't try to lighten the bumper

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
interesting, the govn't added a bunch a weight for safety, took away power for emissions (comp drop hurt) then Detroit had to improve mileage. Just so our govn't doesn't tie our hands behind our back -LOL

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
M's are so good in snow so I won't try to lighten the bumper
I would agree with that.

However, I think that has a lot to do because of the 2.2:1 gear ratio and the anemic 318. It is almost impossible to spin the tires on ice (well, not quite, but close) in my ’86 Fifth Ave.
Put some better gears, like 2.9 or 3.2:1 in it, and that might make a different story with snow driving.

I’m almost tempted to purchase another Fifth Ave; one to leave stock (for snow/ice driving) and another one to drop the big block into.
BudW

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
I believe it was 2.94's till 86 then 2.45's. 86 saw roller lifters, swirl port polish heads. Dad's 87 Dip achieved 25 M.P.G.. A pre 86 would only be good for 21 max. Are the "PREMIAM RECOMMMENDED" decals inside the 86- gas door obtainable?

Murfman

Reaction score
Trying to restore 84 5th, it needs rear bumper, wipers don't work (motor does), sloppy steering (it's the gear), driver's window needs regulator. The car is so damn hard to work on. I've come up with the conclusion you must have all come up with a long time ago. F, M, J body's are all major pieces of junk s--t and the engineers should have been lined up and disposed of in a nice way

Do you realize the gear to fix the power window costs 11$ at Rock Auto and can be replaced in 25 minutes, and the bushings to fix the wiper are 6$ and again can be replaced in less than 1/2 hour, don’t you?

Murfman

Reaction score
It could be the regulator? I hope not.
What is it doing? 90% of the time the clutch gave up the ghost due to time. If you buy the replacement kit, do not use the new metal gear, reuse yours. Once you pull the door panel unbolt the 3 bolts holding the motor to the regulator making sure the glass is either all the way down, or supported. Remove the motor and replace the clutch, line up the slide bar and regulator pivots with lithium grease and you will be set.

Back