'89 Plymouth Gran fury Problems

bkulibert

Reaction score
I am having two problems with my '89 Gran Fury. After driving awhile the dash illumination will dim and then after a couple of seconds they come back on where they are supposed to be. Also the car has been dead every time I go and start it. Even being charged and the very next day it is dead. The battery is brand new, so it can't be that. Any ideas as to what/how to solve these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr C

Reaction score
Sounds like the rheostat in the headlight switch may be burnt/ shorted out. Easy to pull and inspect.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the battery goes dead overnight, there is a parasitic current draw. To make it go dead in a few hours, it'd have to be a fairly large draw.
Is it only the dash lights that dim or do the headlights dim also, along with the heater fan slowing down, etc? That would indicate either the alternator is failing (could be as simple as the brushes are worn out), or the regulator is failing or has a bad ground to the firewall. Also be sure the battery connections are clean and tight.
As a check for a possible cause of the parasitic draw, see if the alternator is warm or hot even after the engine cools off. If so, that is the current draw. Odd as it sounds, the alternator can also draw the battery dead if it's shorted internally and they will always be warm/hot when they do this.

If the battery runs down while driving the car, we're back to alternator or regulator or,,,,,a bad/loose connection in the circuit.

On an '89 vehicle, there aren't really any other things that could kill a GOOD battery overnight aside from leaving the headlights on.(unlike newer vehicles).

Did you have this problem before putting in the new battery? It's rare but I've seen batteries go dead overnight even when they aren't hooked up and can also cause other electrical problems like lights going bright and dim, etc..... A battery load test will come out fine and the only way to know for sure is to unhook the battery and see if it goes dead or not. I'm not sure what causes it, probably an internal short or something like that.

Just some ideas anyways.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I worked on a Nissan years ago that would over charge then draw the battery dead overnight, ìt turned out to be one diode in the alternator had gone bad. It cost me $30 for the repair, the only other option was new OEM at $500.

Back