A nice wagon.

Trey

Reaction score
I don't know what he's talking about it's so ugly it's pretty. That's a good looking wagon. Check out all the options - Tilt, rear window defroster, int wipers, remote pass mirror, AM/FM, chronometer and cruise ....on a /6. Very unusual. Those plaid seats are showing up a lot here lately. Gotta love the 70's interiors.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I don't know what he's talking about it's so ugly it's pretty.
Yes, I thought the same thing, but then people say weird things. I think the F body wagons in particular were one of the most attractive wagons ever built. Mopar got the dimensions just right. There isn't a line on them that I don't like.
Those plaid seats are showing up a lot here lately.
Lol! I really like them now which is why I drove all the way to Oklahoma to get the set for OY. Interestingly, when they first came out, I didn't like them, and I wouldn't have ordered them new. Now, they absolutely scream "The 70's!"

IMG_20190630_190414757.jpg

IMG_20190630_190429413_HDR.jpg

I like the white walls on the Road Wheels on this YouTube Volare wagon. I haven't replaced the cracked Tiger Paws on OY yet, and was thinking of going with plain blackwalls after I repaint the wheels this spring. But, it might look good with the whitewalls too. I think DarthCar had suggested the same thing in another post. Hummm.

IMG_20190804_154546484.jpg

IMG_20190804_154559647.jpg

IMG_20190804_160030757 (1).jpg

Trey

Reaction score
You've got a sweet looking wagon OY78 and three pedals makes it really cool. I personally think the white letter or plain black walls look much better with the road wheels than white walls. I just turned the white walls in on my car. It has the 5 on 5 wheels and I think it looks so much cleaner. Just my opinion, it's your car, but the white letters look really good on your car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't know what he's talking about it's so ugly it's pretty. That's a good looking wagon. Check out all the options - Tilt, rear window defroster, int wipers, remote pass mirror, AM/FM, chronometer and cruise ....on a /6. Very unusual. Those plaid seats are showing up a lot here lately. Gotta love the 70's interiors.

Some like plaid, some don't. To be honest, that was the one thing I hated about my Aspen when I bought it, the red plaid interior. The plaid interior is long gone though, replaced by a white one from a crashed '77(?) Volare in the early '90's.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Lol, you are right! But then, things change. I never liked the plaid, particularly the red plaid when they were new (but then I don't like red interiors in anything), but now, I really like the tan plaid in OY. It just fits somehow. Back in the day, my parents were buying a new '76 Aspen wagon, and they had a choice on the lot of a tan wagon with tan plaid interior or a green wagon with parchment vinyl. Although they would have preferred the tan paint, the plaid seemed ugly even then, so they bought the green Aspen SE. The parchment interior was quite nice. F's were also initially offered with a gray vinyl which I have actually never seen in person, and also a very nice woven vinyl option. I had that woven vinyl in my first F, a '76 Volare Premere wagon with four speed. It was brown with tan interior. I loved that car!

Aspen500

Reaction score
I like a red interior in the right car (plaid excluded) but mine was RED. Dash, headliner, carpet, seats (with plaid) door panels, seat belts, and everything else. Too much! I like the white/black MUCH better plus it's a higher trim level interior than the car came with which was pretty basic. Even with the red plaid, it was still better than the mouse gray of my Dakota (yawn).:eek:

Trey

Reaction score
I think the plaid just says the 70's, that's why I like them. Back then there were other interior colors to chose from other than gray and beige, which I also like. The interior in our Cordoba is red and the seats are red crushed velour. Someone chose the blind pimp decor package when picking the interior. It's growing on me and with the exterior color, not a lot of other colors would have worked so it'll stay that way.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Nothing against red interiors, just the one my Aspen had was very red and ONLY red. Heck, my 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe (first car of my own in '81) had a burnt orange interior and I liked it. Cordoba was kind of a tan/brown type color and I've had cars with green, black, blue and even yellow. For the most part nowdays you get 3 choices: Beige, gray or black. There are exceptions but are few and far between. The wife of one of the guys in the shop has a 2006 Mustang Pony she bought new and it's white (with red Pony stripes) with a red interior and it looks awesome. About 20 years ago I saw a local car at the gas station ('69 Satellite "GTX" wagon) and it was B5 blue with a white interior and that's how I decided to paint my Aspen B5 blue but I'm straying way off topic.:oops:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
For the most part nowdays you get 3 choices: Beige, gray or black. There are exceptions but are few and far between.
True, but I do think that is changing - slowly. The 2020 Mazda CX 30's that I am looking at come with a two-tone interior with black and dark blue or black and dark brown on the dash, console, and door panels. The seats come in either black, white leather, or something called "greige" which is kind of a gray/tan. The black/blue and black/brown combos are really nice. Unfortunately, the exterior colors are mostly the SOS. They have a beautiful candy apple red, but it costs $600 extra, and I think it would become too RED after while. I'm thinking of dark blue exterior with the black/brown interior for a retirement present to myself. :D Woo Hoo!!
2020-Mazda-CX-30-front.jpg

2020-Mazda-CX-30-rear.jpg

2020-Mazda-CX-30-profile.jpg

Mazda-CX30_00663.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Humm. I hadn't even thought of redlines. Actually, didn't know they were still available other than for $9000/each from Coker. I'd have to think about it. The redlines were more in the late sixties era I believe, and pretty much gone by the mid-seventies. Also, the red with the yellow paint - eh, I don't know. At this moment, I'm thinking again of plain blackwalls. But, OY isn't getting new shoes anytime soon as it is in deep hibernation in the garage and the wheels aren't getting repainted until spring at the soonest. But still, it is an idea that I will consider. It certainly would be unusual - might actually look really good! Thanks for the idea!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Red lines first came out on hy po 289 65 Mustang's, I remember a new 70 black Charger with them and I'll have to look but I did a yellow mustang with them and Cragar ss wheels. I'll look for pictures and see what I have, he put the wheels and tires on after he got the car back.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My ’67 Satellite was two tone (exterior) dark metallic brown w/silver lower half and inside was copper color.
67 Satellite Bronze.jpg

This car is Bronze. My '67 was a dark metallic brown.
Annotation 2020-02-18 120848.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-18 120957.jpg

That, with all the actual chrome plated metal (not plastic) inside car (A & C-pillars, glass trim, etc.) – it made for a nice looking interior (but by today’s standards, a bit dated).
I remember the color to be about lighter than above pictures are (closer to the bronze color, above).

I probably wouldn’t have purchased plaid back in the day, either – but now I’d like to have blue plaid seats in my wagon.
BudW

Back