A500 OD spring stuck in Hub??

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
BudW, by any chance do you know what years/vehicles are directly interchangeable, meaning plug and play???
Should be 1987 to early 1996 Dakota interchange. At some point in the 96 model year it went to full electronic. My early (Aug 15, 1995) build 96 Dakota has only OD and TCC electronic.
Unfortunately, I stopped paying attention as to the break-years, so can't give a good answer to that, EXCEPT:
The easy way I know to tell the difference between RH and RE is to look for the speedometer gear adapter or lack there of, for the RE's use a speed sensor (instead of speedometer gear) mounted on the rear differential. There were a few RE's that still used the speedometer gear hole, but for the most part, the speedometer gear adapter hole is the best way to tell them apart.
A518 wSpeedo.jpg

If you are looking at a transmission without a speedometer gear hole, it most likely will not work for you (for more than the obvious reason).
Now a person might be able to reuse your existing case and extension housings you currently have (if good) and transfer the guts - but I hadn't actually tried that yet to confirm.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
BudW, I'm not sure of the date they went to full computer controlled valve body other than it was during the 1996 model year. Early 96 was still basically a regular 904 with pcm controlled OD. I think TCC is also PCM controlled (?) My early build 96 Dakota has a throttle valve cable yet and a speed sensor in the tail shaft housing. As you said,, easy to tell which it is visually if you're in a yard looking for one or the other.

Davesmopar

Reaction score
Thank you Bud for that post, very informative and needed information.... I think I about have my head wrapped around it all now..... mostly lol...

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I am in need of the Intermediate Shaft to Overdrive planet Spacer (0.158")

I have found the .175", .193" and .211" but can't find the .158"........

Back